G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
How so? He has shown nothing to warrant being drafted 11th overall

Man you are the perfect example of a "what have you done for me lately" fan. Your team goes out and drafts one of the best goalie prospects to come along in a long time at his current age and skill level to where it projects to be, and because he plays in a short tournament (behind a team that was far from defensively sound I may add), he's a bust (you mentioned before). Love that the term bust can be thrown around for an 18 1/2 year old goalie who was drafted 4 months ago.. that same kid who played in the VHL as a 17yr old, KHL (with fantastic numbers) as an 18yr old.. was fantastic in the Karjala Cup and has a tremendous skill set. All this because what, they didn't take Jarvis? Who cares.. they missed on Finley and Pickard.. oh well (goalie scouting has improved drastically). Chill out with the "bust" level hot takes, sit back, relax, and watch the kid develop for a few years before you go spitting out terms like "bust" on a kid drafted 5 minutes ago!

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Nobody on this team Russia had a great tournament, I would not throw Askarov under the bus. Let’s see his progression moving forward

Reactions: Atas2000

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Man you are the perfect example of a "what have you done for me lately" fan. Your team goes out and drafts one of the best goalie prospects to come along in a long time at his current age and skill level to where it projects to be, and because he plays in a short tournament (behind a team that was far from defensively sound I may add), he's a bust (you mentioned before). Love that the term bust can be thrown around for an 18 1/2 year old goalie who was drafted 4 months ago.. that same kid who played in the VHL as a 17yr old, KHL (with fantastic numbers) as an 18yr old.. was fantastic in the Karjala Cup and has a tremendous skill set. All this because what, they didn't take Jarvis? Who cares.. they missed on Finley and Pickard.. oh well (goalie scouting has improved drastically). Chill out with the "bust" level hot takes, sit back, relax, and watch the kid develop for a few years before you go spitting out terms like "bust" on a kid drafted 5 minutes ago!
Strange thing is the Predators drafted a Veznia winner in between Finley and Pickard, so they actually can scout goalies. I just do not see why the hype for him is warranted (others on here don’t either). I watched most of him this tournament and he was with average or flat out horrible. I don’t consider the Karjala Cup as a legitimate gauge of his ability.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
He was terrible in last years tourney too.

eventually some accountability has to be taken by Askarov and his supporters.
I don’t see why everyone thinks he’s this incredible goalie. Mediocre at best
Name a 1st round pick that had a worse World Jr than him. He is a wasted pick and may be the reason Poile is fired. This team is on a downward spiral to the tank.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Nobody on this team Russia had a great tournament, I would not throw Askarov under the bus. Let’s see his progression moving forward
More like a very curious case by now. He failes in juniors, but is huge against men. The great mystery. But as Nasville fans probably expect him to be good in the NHL and not against CHL aged kids they should not be too worried.

And oh btw, SKA is coached by Bragin. This WJC squad was coached by Larionov. One of the two is a good coach.

Reactions: BMann

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

It would be all just fine argumentation if he wasn't that brilliant in the KHL against much tougher competition than any WJC team.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
As I wrote in another thread, Larionov should be held accountable for affecting those kids' careers. A lot or crap is going to rain on them after this tournament.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
It would be all just fine argumentation if he wasn't that brilliant in the KHL against much tougher competition than any WJC team.

He plays for a powerhouse SKA team who has a 10+ point lead on the 2nd place team in their division.

They also won something like 7 out 8 games without him in December.

However I’m not even just taking about results at the WJC.

I’m observing his style and the way he plays. Not good. Last year he looked mentally shaky. This year he looked physically and fundamentally raw on his movements.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He plays for a powerhouse SKA team who has a 10+ point lead on the 2nd place team in their division.

They also won something like 7 out 8 games without him in December.

However I’m not even just taking about results at the WJC.

I’m observing his style and the way he plays. Not good. Last year he looked mentally shaky. This year he looked physically and fundamentally raw on his movements.
Please check the facts before making such comments. The "powerhouse" is not that great anymore. But even that aside, look up their goalie stats. It's either every time Askarov starts the team's D has it's best day or rather he is just that much better than other goalies on the same "powerhouse" playing behind the same D.

That is exactly what I pointed out. Somehow he looks really good in the KHL. And it's not luck or playing on a good team. And then he looks awful at WJC. He is 18. That might not mean a thing going forward.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Awful. Way over hyped IMO.

glove side has a lot of holes.

5 yrs away IMO before being an NHLer

:facepalm: He was already 5 years away from the NHL before the tournament so it doesn't really change anything for us.

He was 17 last year's tournament.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
Please check the facts before making such comments. The "powerhouse" is not that great anymore. But even that aside, look up their goalie stats. It's either every time Askarov starts the team's D has it's best day or rather he is just that much better than other goalies on the same "powerhouse" playing behind the same D.

That is exactly what I pointed out. Somehow he looks really good in the KHL. And it's not luck or playing on a good team. And then he looks awful at WJC. He is 18. That might not mean a thing going forward.

Not sure if powerhouse means something different to you but isn’t SKA 1st in division, 3rd overall in the entire league and 2nd in most goals scored. That’s powerhouse.

but I’ve already said I’m not basing my opinion on him w. Results at WJC.

my observations are on the specifics of his game.

his movement is not efficient and his glove side is very weak.

I don’t think it means he will be a bust but I just think he is over rated and is very raw and a long long long ways away from being NHL ready.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I don’t see why everyone thinks he’s this incredible goalie. Mediocre at best
Name a 1st round pick that had a worse World Jr than him. He is a wasted pick and may be the reason Poile is fired. This team is on a downward spiral to the tank.

Christ dude give it up, it's been four months since the draft are you really going to be doing this for the next 4 years.

I'll do you one better and name a list of best goalies in previous tournaments to show you just how little the WJC matters when it comes to predicting goalies. Starting at 2015 because of how long it takes for goalies to develop.

'15: Zach Fucale
'14: Jusse Saros
'13: John Gibson
'12: Vasilevski (Mark Visentin had 1.43GA and 94% Sv)
'11: Jack Cambell (Joni Ortio had a sub 2.00 GA too)
'10: Igor Bobkov
'09: Jakob Markstrom (Juha Metsola had near identical numbers)
'08: Steve Mason
'07: Carey Price (Frazee, Varlamov, Gistedt with great numbers)
'06: Justin Pogge (Daniel Larsson had .96GA and 95.18%)
'05: Marek Schwartz (Glass with better numbers but played on Canada)

I could keep going, but the point is it's a mixed bag, the best goalies in this tournament are just as likely to bust as they do to make it big.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Not sure if powerhouse means something different to you but isn’t SKA 1st in division, 3rd overall in the entire league and 2nd in most goals scored. That’s powerhouse.

but I’ve already said I’m not basing my opinion on him w. Results at WJC.

my observations are on the specifics of his game.

his movement is not efficient and his glove side is very weak.

I don’t think it means he will be a bust but I just think he is over rated and is very raw and a long long long ways away from being NHL ready.
I understand your observations. I just throw in that at the same time he is still comfortably leading the KHL both in SV% and GAA by quite a margin. You can't discard that either.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
I understand your observations. I just throw in that at the same time he is still comfortably leading the KHL both in SV% and GAA by quite a margin. You can't discard that either.

Its perception...if Askarov has 7 starts vs the bottom barrel KHL teams vs a goalie that has 7 start vs good teams it matters. To blindly look at stats and think that's a deciding factor isn't accurate. If Askarov started 7 games vs Austria he would probably have a 1.00 Save percentage and a 0.00 GAA but if he played 7 games vs Canada he would have a .850 and a 5.00GAA - same player. Look at Levi and his inflated stats for this tournament. His shot difficulty was in the 3's! Thats easy saves after easy save.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Its perception...if Askarov has 7 starts vs the bottom barrel KHL teams vs a goalie that has 7 start vs good teams it matters. To blindly look at stats and think that's a deciding factor isn't accurate. If Askarov started 7 games vs Austria he would probably have a 1.00 Save percentage and a 0.00 GAA but if he played 7 games vs Canada he would have a .850 and a 5.00GAA - same player. Look at Levi and his inflated stats for this tournament. His shot difficulty was in the 3's! Thats easy saves after easy save.
You take that information about him starting against weak teams from where?

What's inaccurate is to ASSUME he started aganist weak teams(how about his EHT starts btw?). Spoiler: the assumption is vastly inaccurate. In fact the worst stats he collected in a game against the worst team while he was stellar against the league's top teams.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
You take that information about him starting against weak teams from where?

What's inaccurate is to ASSUME he started aganist weak teams(how about his EHT starts btw?). Spoiler: the assumption is vastly inaccurate. In fact the worst stats he collected in a game against the worst team while he was stellar against the league's top teams.

My point is stats don't always show the quality of play and can be easily manipulated to distort a players potential and play.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020

Okay now I think I understand.

what you’re saying is ....

don’t put too much weight on the the WJC performance because it’s a small sample size.

but what You’re saying I should do instead is to look at the 7 games he has played in the KHL because that’s a better barometer.

Cool cool cool cool cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnashville

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
My point is stats don't always show the quality of play and can be easily manipulated to distort a players potential and play.

Your point was that his stats could be inflated because he played against 7 weak teams.. but he hasn't.. so your point is moot. You can't turn it into a hypothetical after the fact.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I don't think your cited examples are doing your argument any favors...

Reactions: Gnashville

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
I don't think your cited examples are doing your argument any favors...

Young goalie that's fine very well at pretty much everything except the WJC... Big deal. I'm going to put stock in his entire body of work, skill level, etc. Being 17 at the WJC didn't work out. This year, Larionov's system wasn't beneficial to Russia as a whole. But hey, let's look over the countless positives that aren't the WJC (too much stock in 1 tournament).

TSJS2020

Jan 6, 2021
:facepalm: He was already 5 years away from the NHL before the tournament so it doesn't really change anything for us.

He was 17 last year's tournament.
Or maybe he is saying he is 5 years away from being 5 years away? :huh:

Seriously, I don’t think goalies can be judged in 5 or 6 WJC games. They aren’t individual talent position players that can showcase their skill provided they aren’t on a complete island and their team isn’t under siege 24/7 out there in their own end (case in point Rossi who was so easy to key in on and his line). Goalies are more creatures of habit and rely a lot on established systems of play, routines, chemistry with teammates and knowing their tendencies on the ice etc. etc. to perform at their best. You won’t get that at a short tournament like this with players from all over the place. You should however see flashes of the glove, quick reflexes, athletic plays, elite technique even if they let in goals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad