G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
I will admit i haven't watched too much of Askorov, but based on what i have seen, he seems like a hybrid of Brodeur and Hasek. I just mean style-wise, he's got Brodeur's fundamentals, but has those "Hasek like moments" as well

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
How is he in comparison to Cossa Knight Wallstedt ? Those are the only highly touted goalie prospects I know of and have watched so I’m curious as to where he ranks in comparison? Better potential than all of them?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's really fun to watch like a young Marc Andre Fleury, but I feel like there's a lot of clean up to quiet the game so he doesn't have to be so spectacular.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
How is he in comparison to Cossa Knight Wallstedt ? Those are the only highly touted goalie prospects I know of and have watched so I’m curious as to where he ranks in comparison? Better potential than all of them?
Knight is always ranked first and the next 3 are usually in some order. Askarov is usually only ranked lower than Knight based on his awful Word Jr’s. Some scouts have soured on Wallstedt a little for some reason. I would rank it
Knight

Cossa
Askarov
Wallstedt

Last edited:

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
Watching him today, he reminds me of Manuel Neuer, just the hockey equivalent. He's so quick to get out to dump ins and looks so comfortable with the puck on his stick.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
As a Traktor fan I can say that Askarov won the game for SKA yesterday, great job. Rotenberg should stop doing his usual sh*t sending people to VHL forcing to extend the contract.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As a Traktor fan I can say that Askarov won the game for SKA yesterday, great job. Rotenberg should stop doing his usual sh*t sending people to VHL forcing to extend the contract.
What does it have to do with it? They are developing Askarov the same way they did Shestyorkin. Shesty started playing in the KHL full time when he was 21.

If anything, if you alienate yourself with a prospect he is less likely to extend.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
What does it have to do with it? They are developing Askarov the same way they did Shestyorkin. Shesty started playing in the KHL full time when he was 21.

If anything, if you alienate yourself with a prospect he is less likely to extend.
Well, if you do not like Askarov's example comparing him to Shestyorkin, I can easily say about Morozov's case. But this is separate topic to discuss, let's not start it here again.

But from what I saw this season (I saw limited number of SKA games) I do not think that Askarov is any worse than Samonov or Johansson.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, if you do not like Askarov's example comparing him to Shestyorkin, I can easily say about Morozov's case. But this is separate topic to discuss, let's not start it here again.

But from what I saw this season (I saw limited number of SKA games) I do not think that Askarov is any worse than Samonov or Johansson.
Well, as long as Marchenko remains one of the key SKA players I'm not gonna be buying this whole extension talk.

Regarding the second part, I can only agree, those two are only ahead of him based on seniority. And considering the disastrous season Samonov is having, it's probably not for long.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

So Askarov won’t play full time in the KHL until he is 21? So when will he make it to the NHL?

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
So Askarov won’t play full time in the KHL until he is 21? So when will he make it to the NHL?

The Shestyorkin/Sorokin roadmap is pretty clear, KHL until 23, then ELC at 24 and at least a share of an NHL net. It could always move differently then that but it was very successful with those two and seems a very logical path for Askarov as well?

Reactions: CanuckCity

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Vasilevsky, being probably the best goalie of his generation that he is, became an NHL starter at 22. Expecting Askarov to get there sooner seems naive. Askarov might move to NA this summer, without ever being a starter in the KHL, that surely is a possibility. If he stays, I'd expect SKA to trust him with the regular place on the first team next year, at least.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Knight is always ranked first and the next 3 are usually in some order. Askarov is usually only ranked lower than Knight based on his awful Word Jr’s. Some scouts have soured on Wallstedt a little for some reason. I would rank it
Knight

Cossa
Askarov
Wallstedt

I would rank Cossa a bit lower than those other 3 now based on the numerous goals he gave up during the prospects preseason training camp which sucks for me as a Redwings fan.

I actually wanted Detroit to trade down and draft Askarov last year instead of Raymond at #4, but considering the time frame I have been reading here on when he will eventually make it to the NHL and Raymond's impressive NHL preseason performances a year after being drafted, I don't feel as bad anymore about the pick.

At the moment, having a forward like Raymond having a chance of making a significant impact on his team a year after being drafted is better than waiting for a goaltender to develop a few years down the road before making it eventually to the NHL as would be the case with Askarov.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I would rank Cossa a bit lower than those other 3 now based on the numerous goals he gave up during the prospects preseason training camp which sucks for me as a Redwings fan.

I actually wanted Detroit to trade down and draft Askarov last year instead of Raymond at #4, but considering the time frame I have been reading here on when he will eventually make it to the NHL and Raymond's impressive NHL preseason performances a year after being drafted, I don't feel as bad anymore about the pick.

At the moment, having a forward like Raymond having a chance of making a significant impact on his team a year after being drafted is better than waiting for a goaltender to develop a few years down the road before making it eventually to the NHL as would be the case with Askarov.

I think you're the only one in the world that puts any stock in a prospect camp. Odd.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I think you're the only one in the world that puts any stock in a prospect camp. Odd.

I haven't give up hope yet on Cossa. I just rate those 3 other players mentioned higher based on their record as professionals playing top tier hockey.

Cossa has excelled at the junior level but he still has to prove that he can match that performance at the pros.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Vasilevsky, being probably the best goalie of his generation that he is, became an NHL starter at 22. Expecting Askarov to get there sooner seems naive. Askarov might move to NA this summer, without ever being a starter in the KHL, that surely is a possibility. If he stays, I'd expect SKA to trust him with the regular place on the first team next year, at least.
Vasilevsky at least Played in the NHL at 20 Askarov may not see The NHL until 23 or 24. Then he becomes a free agent at 27. So The Predators get what maybe 2 1/2 years of him mostly as a back up.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Very weird development curve for him. Not getting a ton of games, playing down in the VHL at times. I have to wonder if the plan is to get him to NA next season so he can get 30 + games in the ECHL/AHL

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Very weird development curve for him. Not getting a ton of games, playing down in the VHL at times. I have to wonder if the plan is to get him to NA next season so he can get 30 + games in the ECHL/AHL
I've said this before but that's not any different than Shestorkin's 14/15 and 15/16 seasons so in that sense there is absolutely nothing weird or unique about it. Worked out pretty well for him, I'd say. The only differences are that Askarov was picked in the first round so it comes with higher expectations and his stats last year reinforced them.

Reactions: Atas2000

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I've said this before but that's not any different than Shestorkin's 14/15 and 15/16 seasons so in that sense there is absolutely nothing weird or unique about it. Worked out pretty well for him, I'd say. The only differences are that Askarov was picked in the first round so it comes with higher expectations and his stats last year reinforced them.
Being under the microscope for so long now might be the biggest issue for him personally. He needs to get his act together and understand that he does not play for the writers and the haters, but for his future.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Being under the microscope for so long now might be the biggest issue for him personally. He needs to get his act together and understand that he does not play for the writers and the haters, but for his future.
Is he injured or just not playing well? I have not heard anything about him

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Is he injured or just not playing well? I have not heard anything about him
He played in the KHL just yesterday. And it's only a couple of days till WJC camp starts. When he played in the KHL this season he was bad. Like really bad. Got pulled three times out of five starts. His problem is clearly his head. He has lost confidence. You don't lose your talent overnichght. He needs his head issues adressed.

Reactions: hn777

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
He played in the KHL just yesterday. And it's only a couple of days till WJC camp starts. When he played in the KHL this season he was bad. Like really bad. Got pulled three times out of five starts. His problem is clearly his head. He has lost confidence. You don't lose your talent overnichght. He needs his head issues adressed.
not surprising to me in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino