G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He was chosen as a top 3 player for his team so he must have had a fantastic tournament.

My personal opinion, though, is that he's not impressed and I also don't think it ever is worth spending as high a pick on a goalie who's draft eligible for the first time.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Man I hope your fanbase has more patience than 3 months and 1 tournament. The kid was awesome at the Karjala Cup last month (no mention of that one).. how many goalies are finished products at 18? Give him time, he has all the tools, and needs refinement.. in due time he'll be the goalie of the future in Nashville.

He has notoriously hated this pick because we drafted Brian Finley in 1999 and obviously it's going to turn out the same way. :shakehead

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
You forgot Chet Pickard.
What positives can be taken from this Tournament? He has looked awful at times. He couldn’t even hold on to his stick at times.

Yes Chet Picakard...who we picked in 2008. This is a different player than either of them and one month ago Askarov was closer to being 17 than he was 19.

Did Askarov look bad at times, you bet, but the things he sucks at can be fixed. At times I think he showed great instincts, a willingness to be aggressive and good puck handling skills and a decent glove hand but he also gave up some bad goals from that area. You can't teach instincts mental toughness, you can fix rebounds, glove hand and not playing up to his size, especially in 5-7 years.

I would still much rather have Askarov and his shitty WJC than Levi at this point, it isn't even a question.

Reactions: CanuckCity

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Didn’t Vasilevski struggle at this tournament.

He’s done just fine. Micro scoping this tournament is silly yet people do it annually.

Reactions: CanuckCity

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Askarov had a bad game. But nothing's worse than the bullies on social media and on TSN.

It’s TSN a pro Canada bias for sure. They were probably too hard on Askarov and too over loving of levi. Yes, a clear shot from the halfwall right into the stomach should not cause a rebound so praising Levi every time he saves a clear shot is over doing it.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

He’s done just fine. Micro scoping this tournament is silly yet people do it annually.
No Vasilevsky had 3 very solid tournaments nothing like Askarov has had.

There is Zero comparison between those 2 except they are from Russia, play goaltender, and were draft in the 1st round. One is already a Veznia and Cup winner, while the other won a watch.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As I mentioned previously, the ones who expose themselves with this tournament are fans, not players. This is a two week snapshot in the careers of players. Their career is not made or finished due to how they play in this tournament. However, fans have a tendency to expose how their team biases effect their ability to analyze the game, their pettiness towards teenager athletes, their inability to control their emotions, and their lack of perspective about the importance of performances in this tournament.

If you find yourself wondering if this applies to you, it probably does.

In reality, Askarov had a weak game in a game where his team was completely outclassed. The rest of the tournament he played adequately. Besides this game, he has more than proved he's a very good goalie prospect. Given prior precedent, he's more than earned his draft slot. He's also by any objective measure showing good improvement this season from last season. If you find yourself with all these negative things to say about this guy, the problem is probably you, not the player.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Askarov was disappointing relative to expectations of him as a first rounder, and supposedly the best goalie prospect to come out in years. I was disappointed in him last year after hearing such great things about him...same this year. Not a "hater", but I worry about goalies who don't play well in big games. I mean, that's kind of a big deal, isn't it?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Askarov was disappointing relative to expectations of him as a first rounder, and supposedly the best goalie prospect to come out in years. I was disappointed in him last year after hearing such great things about him...same this year. Not a "hater", but I worry about goalies who don't play well in big games. I mean, that's kind of a big deal, isn't it?

I think the fact that he even played last year as a 17 1/2 year old has to be factored in, he was an '02 when every other goalie was a '00 or a '01.

Yeah, he had a 2.77GA and a .877 Sv% last year, but I think that's pretty much what I'd expect from someone who shouldn't have been expected to play.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
As I mentioned previously, the ones who expose themselves with this tournament are fans, not players. This is a two week snapshot in the careers of players. Their career is not made or finished due to how they play in this tournament. However, fans have a tendency to expose how their team biases effect their ability to analyze the game, their pettiness towards teenager athletes, their inability to control their emotions, and their lack of perspective about the importance of performances in this tournament.

If you find yourself wondering if this applies to you, it probably does.

In reality, Askarov had a weak game in a game where his team was completely outclassed. The rest of the tournament he played adequately. Besides this game, he has more than proved he's a very good goalie prospect. Given prior precedent, he's more than earned his draft slot. He's also by any objective measure showing good improvement this season from last season. If you find yourself with all these negative things to say about this guy, the problem is probably you, not the player.

He wasn’t good and is overhyped. It’s called being honest.

Reactions: 57special

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Despite his underwhelming performances in both WJCs I can see what scouts like about him. Big and athletic, really good anticipation. Definitely has some things to work on, there's a lot more traffic in front of your net on the smaller ice and that's something he'll have to get used to if he wants to have success in the NHL.

The WJC is a decent medium to get a read on prospects but often fans will overstate results. This is especially true for goaltenders, where their stats in a short international tournament will largely be dictated by which team they play on. There's good reason most goalies don't sniff the NHL until 24-25, they have the most to work on and refine and have the least amount of opportunity.

Reactions: Soundgarden

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Tough to rate a guy playing against Team Canada. Canada came out like a house on fire and it gets to players. That isn't the NHL game.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’ll freely admit I have basically no clue how to evaluate goalie prospects. Before Markstrom came to the NHL, watching him in his 2 WJCs and WC, I thought he was one of the best goalie prospects I’d seen, a future franchise goalie. He turned out OK, but not that special, and it took him quite awhile to become a starter. In contrast, watching Bobrovsky his first couple years with Philly, I thought he looked very “meh”, and he turned into a legit star starter.

So I won’t try to predict how good Askarov will be. Realistically, none of us really know. Even NHL scouts aren’t great at projecting goalies, amateurs like us are TERRIBLE.

As for his game right now, I LOVE his athleticism - he’s crazy quick, very cat-like, truly special in that regard. Like Fleury, but even more athletic/quick. He uses this to be aggressive, cutting off angles, which I like, but I do agree he’s a bit too busy in net, he’s often not properly set when the shot comes which makes things harder on himself. I also see the weaker glove - teams seem to target his glove, and score there decently often. With that being said, these seem like maturity/experience things he can work on, while his raw talent/athleticism is something you can’t learn. But what do I know, I’m terrible at evaluating goalies :)

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Nice cherry pick. Now how about the goalies who also struggled at this tournament and did NOT make it in NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad