G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Okay now I think I understand.

what you’re saying is ....

don’t put too much weight on the the WJC performance because it’s a small sample size.

but what You’re saying I should do instead is to look at the 7 games he has played in the KHL because that’s a better barometer.

Cool cool cool cool cool.
No, this is what you are saying.

I am saying that we have two completely different samples(while the sample size outside the WJC is still significantly larger) both in numbers and actual play. We can't discard any of them.

And yes, the KHL is a much better barometer. Goalies who can succeed in the KHL are very likely to do so in the NHL. Both becaise of the level of the league and the much smaller talent gap between goalies. The KHL sample size is what it is because of COVID and the very same WJC.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Okay now I think I understand.

what you’re saying is ....

don’t put too much weight on the the WJC performance because it’s a small sample size.

but what You’re saying I should do instead is to look at the 7 games he has played in the KHL because that’s a better barometer.

Cool cool cool cool cool.
Thanks for pointing this out. He played exactly the same number of games in the KHL as the World Jr. When playing bigger games he has been awful. Early regular season games in October are meaningless and teams did not have film on him now the word is out about his weaknesses his KHL numbers will balloon.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
There are weak points in his game. Anyone expecting a youngster not to be the perfect player at that age is deluded. It is a question of how his coaches and he tackles these areas that need improvement. If e does he will excel. If he does not he wont. Simple as that. Larionov did not help. Awful coaching. And also a mediocre defensive unit minus Nikishin. Completely powder puff.

Reactions: Atas2000

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just stop already. Askarov was never expected to take over the starting job to begin with.

Additionally, Hellberg is good. I think he’s the best goalie playing outside the NHL. I expect he’ll be back in the NHL within a year or two, if he can stay healthy. Koskinen was considered a NA washout playing in the KHL a few years back, and now he’s a starting goalie in the NHL.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Additionally, Hellberg is good. I think he’s the best goalie playing outside the NHL. I expect he’ll be back in the NHL within a year or two, if he can stay healthy. Koskinen was considered a NA washout playing in the KHL a few years back, and now he’s a starting goalie in the NHL.
That's an interesting comment about Hellberg. Genuine question here: what is it about Hellberg that makes you think he's the best goalie playing outside the NHL? Asking because, as we know, goaltenders are so difficult to peg and we've seen how a lot of them can look good in a lot of different leagues. What makes Hellberg stand out to you?

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee

That's pretty funny, since Hellberg is also a former Preds draft pick.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's an interesting comment about Hellberg. Genuine question here: what is it about Hellberg that makes you think he's the best goalie playing outside the NHL? Asking because, as we know, goaltenders are so difficult to peg and we've seen how a lot of them can look good in a lot of different leagues. What makes Hellberg stand out to you?

I think the biggest reason that Hellberg initially struggled to make it in the NHL was that his rebound control was terrible when he was in the AHL. I know his AHL stats look average/good as opposed to great, but he played on some really bad teams, and did really well. However, you can't cough up a puck right in front of the goal in the NHL. You'll be punished for that against the best in the world. I think he's cleaned that up in the KHL, and he was always a big guy whose well positioned, tracks shots well, and moves okay. He's had a bunch of injury problems in the KHL, so that might be his biggest issue to returning to the NHL at this point.

Reactions: NuxFan09

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He should be playing for the first team in the playoffs, not in the MHL. This is the problem you run into when you run a hockey team like a football club with so much squad rotation. When the games become important, there are too many players to keep happy.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Forgot about him for a while lol. It's gonna be fun to see who becomes the best out of Knight, Askarov, and Wallstedt moving forward. They're all in smaller talked about markets which is cool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese