Rumor: Friedman: Vancouver is a "stealth team" in the hunt for Noah Hanifin

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don’t know if it’d be a Ballard 2.0, the kid is just 21, however, with all the lhd we have seems like an odd add. If the plan is to move on from edler and start joulevi in the ahl it might make sense.

Hanafin only missed 7 games the last 3 seasons, and some of those could be scratches. So if we trade for him expect him to develop some sort of reoccurring injury and start missing 30-50 games a year.

And something I just posted on the main thread, not sure if it would be smart but for a lighter trade with Carolina I wonder if a Markstrom for Victor Rask trade would work. Risky going with Demko/Nilsson for us but it would fit the G/C need for both teams.

Feb 19, 2018
The only way this makes sense is for Demko or Tanev as Carolina was very much in playoff contention if they didn’t have the abysmal goal tending.

If they picked up a goalie, I’d bet them making it next year.

#1 Dman is the hardest position to fill in all of Hockey and Goaltending is arguably the easiest. You make that trade 10/10

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
You don't think the fact that they had to dump those salaries had anything to do with that return? Jeez...you excuse Benning for ****ing up the Kesler trade claiming he had no leverage (even though he didn't have to move Kesler when he did), yet you think Chicago had any kind of leverage when they desperately needed to cut salary?

neither of those players forced bowman to negotiate with only one team. he dumped them on the thrashers, indicating he had the whole league to work with, so the comparison to kesler is bogus.

and regardless of his cap issues, bowman has an extremely quirky trade history.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
neither of those players forced bowman to negotiate with only one team. he dumped them on the thrashers, indicating he had the whole league to work with, so the comparison to kesler is bogus.

Vancouver didn't have one team to work with though. There was 3 known teams, Pits Chi and Ana. Plus Kesler has said he would have waived for others but was never asked, so really the list is probably much bigger.

Plus there was no time crunch, and we could have taken money back.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Not bogus at all. I think you're ignoring the cap crunch most teams were under back then.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Vancouver didn't have one team to work with though. There was 3 known teams, Pits Chi and Ana. Plus Kesler has said he would have waived for others but was never asked, so really the list is probably much bigger.

Are the Canes in a Cap crunch? Is this why Hanifin is available? Is Hanifin forcing a trade, like Kesler did? I’m looking for a connection here.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Not bogus at all. I think you're ignoring the cap crunch most teams were under back then.

no, i am just declining to compare a cap crunch trade of a 24 year old rfa former draft bust coming off a decent 38 point season, to a forced trade by a much more established top 6 player who demands a trade while using a ntc to limit his destination to one team.

they are very different situations. bowman had a lot more options.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

there were three teams kesler says he named. which of them were actually interested and had cap room?

recall gillis had the chance to move kesler to those teams for an entire season, including a tdl. yet it did not happen.

for pittburgh, they had malkin and crosby so room for a $5 million 3rd line centre was not realistic. for the hawks, assuming they could stand him, they had toews and kane coming up for new contracts and were already at the cap. as it was they ended up having to get rid of saad after that season due to cap issues.

as for other team trade options, that requires that benning shop kesler to teams not on the list, get a deal, then ask him to agree with no leverage. didn't you crap all over benning for working out a trade and then going to garrison and asking him to waive? i thought that was considered bad form here?

Reactions: coldsteel79

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
there were three teams kesler says he named. which of them were actually interested and had cap room?

recall gillis had the chance to move kesler to those teams for an entire season, including a tdl. yet it did not happen.

for pittburgh, they had malkin and crosby so room for a $5 million 3rd line centre was not realistic. for the hawks, assuming they could stand him, they had toews and kane coming up for new contracts and were already at the cap. as it was they ended up having to get rid of saad after that season due to cap issues.

as for other team trade options, that requires that benning shop kesler to teams not on the list, get a deal, then ask him to agree with no leverage. didn't you crap all over benning for working out a trade and then going to garrison and asking him to waive? i thought that was considered bad form here?

We had plenty of cap space to take money back, Pits made an offer that rumors say Ownership nixed. Heard different variants of how it went. It is also believed the ducks made a better offer at that time, that again ownership nixed.

Either way it is already more than the 1 team you said... plus again Kesler said He WOULD have gone to others according to HIM.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hanifin is going to cost assets that we can't afford to give up. Let another team have him.

The guy I want from them is Elias Lindholm. Cost shouldn't be that high for him.

That’s actually a pretty good idea. Lindholm can still grow into a decent 2nd line C (if he isn’t alreaady, I admittedly haven’t followed his progress), and the Canucks can add to their young Swedish core in the process. Lindholm-Horvat could be a decent 1-2 punch down the middle, while the presence of Lindholm would also allow for the Canucks to move Pettersson to the wing.

Before making such a move however, I’d like to see how Gaudette develops. No point trading for Lindholm if Gaudette develops into a good 2nd line center himself.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
#1 Dman is the hardest position to fill in all of Hockey and Goaltending is arguably the easiest. You make that trade 10/10

THIS is greatly debatable. What type of goaltending we talking about ? Top 20% in the league goaltending isn't as easy are you're making it to be. (Or do you not remember pre-luongo Canucks??)

And we are not talking about a number 1 dman. We are talking about a 3-4 defenseman with the potential for being more, maybe a #1 (which I don't believe he can be- a good #2 at this point).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
To me, Hanifin is a 2nd pairing Dman now with the ability to put up points or at least goals. I think he still has first pairing upside. If it's simply the 7th overall pick, I would seriously consider makign the deal.

Plus Kesler has said he would have waived for others but was never asked, so really the list is probably much bigger.

I don't remember him saying that. Link to source please.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Is Hanifin a number one D though? I see him as a second pair guy, and that’s best case.

Imagine a magical world where Jimtholomeus Elmer Benningstrom has drafted Hanifin for the Canucks of Vancouver!

What kind of potential would you see for Hanifin in this thought experiment? :naughty:

Reactions: Jyrki21

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
That’s actually a pretty good idea. Lindholm can still grow into a decent 2nd line C (if he isn’t alreaady, I admittedly haven’t followed his progress), and the Canucks can add to their young Swedish core in the process. Lindholm-Horvat could be a decent 1-2 punch down the middle, while the presence of Lindholm would also allow for the Canucks to move Pettersson to the wing.

Before making such a move however, I’d like to see how Gaudette develops. No point trading for Lindholm if Gaudette develops into a good 2nd line center himself.

This nhl is different from the 90s. Elite teams are stacked from top to bottom. It's not like before when a lot of teams have 2 scoring lines. A checking line and all the tough guys on the 4th lines Elite teams have 3 or 4 lines that can score and rotate 4 lines. Of course there is point for getting Lindholm if Gaudette become 2nd line. You want depth.

Both Kessel and Williams won a cup by playing on the 3rd line.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I think the rumor is garbage but Waddell does like his Russians and we have a couple he might be interested in with Goldobin and Tryamkin. Package that with the 7th and it might be enough.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Imagine a magical world where Jimtholomeus Elmer Benningstrom has drafted Hanifin for the Canucks of Vancouver!

What kind of potential would you see for Hanifin in this thought experiment? :naughty:
Then we would have the best prospect on the planet, of course. :thumbu:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
wrong thread but i agree with jyrki to a point: there is a much higher chance we end up with johnson as a ufa than hanafin in trade, but not both. very skeptical about how this roster would absorb two 20 minute dmen.

also, if we just got hanafin then the source of the minutes he would play on the left side is confusing. there's already a log jam of 5 dmen there. you can't bring along juolevi, play edler, play del zotto, play hutton, play pouliot and play hanafin. you'd have to move either edler or del zotto plus one of hutton or pouliot to make room for hanafin even if juolevi is not ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad