Rumor: Friedman: Vancouver is a "stealth team" in the hunt for Noah Hanifin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
My guess Carolina is not looking for package deal that includes picks and prospects. They probably want a young scoring forward which Canucks don't have available. Tor make more sense, I think Leafs might trade Nylander or Marner for Hanifin

I don't think the Leafs would be making such a trade. But if Hanifin straight up can't get the type of player they want, they might be able to turn say the 7th overall pick into that player.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
If the Canucks draft a forward like Wahlstrom for instance we now become pretty lopsided between forwards and defence at the forward position, then I could see Benning kicking tires on Hanafin. But who are we giving up? Gaudette? Virtanen?

Hanafin doesn’t make sense here

Ballard 2.0

Mike Gillis to Benning “don’t do it” “do not do it”

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
If the Canucks draft a forward like Wahlstrom for instance we now become pretty lopsided between forwards and defence at the forward position, then I could see Benning kicking tires on Hanafin. But who are we giving up? Gaudette? Virtanen?

Ballard 2.0

I don’t know if it’d be a Ballard 2.0, the kid is just 21, however, with all the lhd we have seems like an odd add. If the plan is to move on from edler and start joulevi in the ahl it might make sense.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

Ballard 2.0

Why are talking about Gillis?

If you want to talk missed evaluations of defensemen Benning is the King.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Ballard 2.0

Care to elaborate on how Hanafin is similiar to Ballard?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Ballard 2.0

Lopsided? You act as if we have a whole bunch of elite prospects at forward.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I’m not an expert on Carolina’s situation but with new management and a young core,they’ll be looking to add pieces to address immediate needs like goaltending and finding an impact forward.I’d offer up a package of Demko,Virtanen and Hutton and see if they bite.That gives them two NHLers with plenty of potential upside and a top goalie prospect who’s already developed and probably NHL ready.Even if only two out of those three pieces hit their potential,it would be a win for the ‘Canes.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'd make a half-hearted effort that they'd almost surely reject and in which case I wouldn't worry, and if they took, I'd be high-fiving strangers in the street. Virtanen, Dipietro and a 2nd or Virtanen and Sutter.

No way would Benning ever consider your second offer. He probably sees Sutter as someone who's untouchable.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I guarantee you Mike "Kenyan birth certificate" Gillis would've already traded Boeser+ for Hanifin just like he did with Grabner/Ballard. Good thing we have a much smarter, real CANADIAN born man as the GM now.

Reactions: vancityluongo

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
dudley traded for wheeler, stuart, ladd and buff in his one year as thrasher gm. from that i deduce he likes size and high draft picks, and is not afraid of a slow developing player.

so although i think he's after a starter, it's not crazy to think he might trade for someone like virtanen or gudbranson

and then win the trade.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
dudley traded for wheeler, stuart, ladd and buff in his one year as thrasher gm. from that i deduce he likes size and high draft picks, and is not afraid of a slow developing player.

so although i think he's after a starter, it's not crazy to think he might trade for someone like virtanen or gudbranson

and then win the trade.

If we could get Noah Hanifin for Erik Gudbranson that would make up for Benning screwing up by acquiring Gudbranson in the first place. Looking at the trade holistically, I would absolutely do McCann, 32nd overall pick, and a 4th round pick for Noah Hanifin.

Having said that though, I don't expect this to be a trade that would either get it done, nor do I expect Benning to actually think giving up Gudbranson is a good move. I think the only reason he considered moving him for Demers last year was because he was concerned about losing Gudbranson as a UFA. Now that he's signed for 3 more years I think Benning is perfectly happy.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

and then win the trade.

Hell I’d happily do Guddie + Virtanen for Hanifin.

Dare to dream.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If we could get Noah Hanifin for Erik Gudbranson that would make up for Benning screwing up by acquiring Gudbranson in the first place. Looking at the trade holistically, I would absolutely do McCann, 32nd overall pick, and a 4th round pick for Noah Hanifin.

Having said that though, I don't expect this to be a trade that would either get it done, nor do I expect Benning to actually think giving up Gudbranson is a good move. I think the only reason he considered moving him for Demers last year was because he was concerned about losing Gudbranson as a UFA. Now that he's signed for 3 more years I think Benning is perfectly happy.

have you looked at what became of the assets dudley traded to get buff, ladd, wheeler and stuart?

let's just say i wouldn't count on hanifin panning out.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Hanifin is 21 years old. I’m lost on how he wouldn’t help with the rebuild? I guess with that logic Bo Horvat is too old as well and we should get rid of him for some draft picks.
21 years old is perfect for the rebuild.

The only way this makes sense is for Demko or Tanev as Carolina was very much in playoff contention if they didn’t have the abysmal goal tending.

If they picked up a goalie, I’d bet them making it next year.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
have you looked at what became of the assets dudley traded to get buff, ladd, wheeler and stuart?

let's just say i wouldn't count on hanifin panning out.
Because I'm a completionist kind of guy:
  • Byfuglien trade was: Buff, Brent Sopel and Ben Eager, along with Akim Aliu for Marty Reasoner, Joey Crabb, Jeremy Morin plus 1st round (Kevin Hayes) and 2nd round (Justin Holl) picks.
  • Ladd trade was: Ladd for Ivan Vishnevskiy and a 2nd round pick (Adam Clendening)
  • Wheeler and Stuart came for Rich Peverley and Boris Valabik.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Because I'm a completionist kind of guy:
  • Byfuglien trade was: Buff, Brent Sopel and Ben Eager, along with Akim Aliu for Marty Reasoner, Joey Crabb, Jeremy Morin plus 1st round (Kevin Hayes) and 2nd round (Justin Holl) picks.
  • Ladd trade was: Ladd for Ivan Vishnevskiy and a 2nd round pick (Adam Clendening)
  • Wheeler and Stuart came for Rich Peverley and Boris Valabik.

nice. i did not know the draft pick outcomes.

so i guess in the end chicago at least has got forsling to show for both ladd and byfuglien.

better than i thought but still ouch.

Reactions: Sleestack

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I guarantee you Mike "Kenyan birth certificate" Gillis would've already traded Boeser+ for Hanifin just like he did with Grabner/Ballard. Good thing we have a much smarter, real CANADIAN born man as the GM now.

this has to be satire lmfao

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
yes, but they were still very poor returns for good players.

You don't think the fact that they had to dump those salaries had anything to do with that return? Jeez...you excuse Benning for f***ing up the Kesler trade claiming he had no leverage (even though he didn't have to move Kesler when he did), yet you think Chicago had any kind of leverage when they desperately needed to cut salary?

Shhhhh..., you’re messing with dat narrative

What narrative? It's not my fault you don't understand the salary cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad