Rumor: Friedman: Vancouver is a "stealth team" in the hunt for Noah Hanifin

R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Nov 19, 2007
No, the reason why I'm not acquiring him is as I already said: I doubt Carolina is interested in much beyond our draft picks which we badly need. I mean, seriously. Which objectively good players do the Canucks have that could be traded without ripping a gaping hole in the lineup? Not bloody many. I look at the team from last year and which players do I really want to keep? Boeser, Horvat, Edler, Tanev...and...uh...not much else.

I don't think the Canucks are in a position to pay a big price for anyone. Literally all Benning has done is pay out more than he gets back and now there's just bloody nothing left. Enough already. Just build through the draft ffs. Stop trying to find a shortcut that isn't there.

I don't know. Some team is going to rip Carolina off real bad, is my sense.

They have a new owner who wants to be in the discussion for everything, they canned their GM who did a pretty respectable job building through the draft (except in net) and are making it clear that they're not going to tolerate "soft" play, etc.

I think there's a good chance that they throw the baby out with the bathwater, and while I have zero confidence that Benning is capable of taking advantage (or has what they're interested in) if they're shopping a player I'd definitely be testing the waters to see if a deal can be made.

Obviously if they want Hanifin for Horvat you move on, but if they overrate a young gritty forward like Virtanen (who, aside from not panning out as a good NHL player so far, ticks all the boxes they're reportedly looking for) you might be able to take advantage.

Maybe they want Brandon Sutter back?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I can't see Hanifan being a fit with Canucks at all. Canucks are still rebuilding, save your pick. Maybe their isn't a good way to spend "Hanifan money" this year in free agency, but then save your cap and spend it in future years.....and you still have that player from the pick.
Though I imagine Hanifan still has growth ahead, he hasn't been THAT good with the Canes. Is he suddenly a leader on the Canucks defence, he hasn't done it previously with the Canes.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I'd make a half-hearted effort that they'd almost surely reject and in which case I wouldn't worry, and if they took, I'd be high-fiving strangers in the street. Virtanen, Dipietro and a 2nd or Virtanen and Sutter.

Reactions: R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Instead of targeting Hanifin, it might be better to bite the proverbial bonerr and make a package for Dougie Hamilton. Hamilton plays the right side and so he’d be a better fit for us anyways.

1st + 2nd + Tanev

Hargraves does not like this deal at all. Tanev and a 2nd maybe but even then that seems high. Certainly Hargraves would NOT part with the 1st alone for Rocky Dennis let alone add Tanev and a 2nd. Stay the course and rebuild properly with picks and prospects.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I can't see Hanifan being a fit with Canucks at all. Canucks are still rebuilding, save your pick. Maybe their isn't a good way to spend "Hanifan money" this year in free agency, but then save your cap and spend it in future years.....and you still have that player from the pick.
Though I imagine Hanifan still has growth ahead, he hasn't been THAT good with the Canes. Is he suddenly a leader on the Canucks defence, he hasn't done it previously with the Canes.

He is the same age as Boeser tho... And a high end top4 D man with top pairing potential.

He is a fit here. We just don't have what it takes to pry him from Carolina.

Reactions: Hawkyknowledge

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Really depends why Carolina would be shopping a 21 yr old Dman and what they are looking to “fix” on their team. I agree with others who have said draft picks don’t make much sense, as their team is already quite young and draft picks don’t serve the “get better now” phase that they appear to be in. Now if they want a 1C (probably low end) for Hanifin then we are clearly out of the running. But if they wanted to re-acquire someone like Sutter to play their shutdown minutes and maybe a guy like Virtanen who can give them some speed and physicality and still has the aura of “potential” owing to his draft position, then we could be in the mix after all.

Hard to say really, given the turmoil in their front office and not really knowing what direction the new group will go in.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I don't think the Canucks have the assets (that they are willing to part with) to get the deal done either. Unlike you, I doubt Carolina is interested in our draft picks unless they can deal it for a player. I don't think they are trading Hanifin for draft picks. If they want our 7th in return, it must be because they have a deal in place for a player.

As for shortcuts, I don't see this as a shortcut at all. Say we draft a Dman with the 7th overall pick. Is he likely to be better than Hanifin? As a prospect Hanifin was highly regarded. A legitimate top 5 pick in a better draft. Where do you think he would have gone in this draft as a draft eligible prospect? Certainly not #7.

IMO Hanifin should/will be a top 4 Dman next season. He does need to get better defensively, but he's Boeser's age with 2 more years of NHL experience. He isn't a prospect and the ceiling is still there. If the 7th overall is what it took, I would make the deal. If the Canucks need to add it will depend on who they need to add. If we need to add a lot more, my gut is that we might be better off simply keeping our pick. But let's not overrate draft picks here. 3 years post draft, how many of us would be happy if say the Dman we picked at #7 is as good as Hanifin?
Once again, I'm saying Carolina would probably want draft picks from us because what the hell else is there on the Canucks that anyone else would seriously want? If Hanifin is really that good, why is Carolina shopping him? You say yourself he does need to get better defensively; we already have bloody enough of those guys. Is the draft pick likely to be better? It could be. And I really want the team to stop throwing those chances away.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
"If" Carolina is shopping him, and that's a big "if", it's probably for the same reasons every high pick gets shopped after the expiration of his entry-level contract....he hasn't developed as fast and far as they'd hoped, and they have other young d-men on the roster who are just as good and with higher upside....that, and the fact he's due a big raise as an RFA.

And if history is unfortunately any guide, a perfect target for Jimbo.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Good view, The only reason I would look at this is because our drafting is so poor for high picks, maybe better with the devil we know vs the one we don't

Feb 19, 2018

Hanifin is 21 years old. I’m lost on how he wouldn’t help with the rebuild? I guess with that logic Bo Horvat is too old as well and we should get rid of him for some draft picks.
21 years old is perfect for the rebuild.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Hanifin is 21 years old. I’m lost on how he wouldn’t help with the rebuild? I guess with that logic Bo Horvat is too old as well and we should get rid of him for some draft picks.
I agree, he's 21 with NHL experience. Couple more years to develope and then 5-6 seasons at his peak. The cost tho....will be a high ask, 7OA and 2 pluses will be what the Canes want back. And Im excited to see who is left for us at 7

Verbalyst

Jan 9, 2007
Buffalo, NY

Hanifin is a month older than Boeser. He fits just fine with this age group. He's a fantastic skater, which is needed in today's NHL. I think he projects higher than the defensemen in this draft

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Just read my original post. If the Canucks have cap space wouldn't it be a look better to sign a UFA (maybe not this year) and keep that pick? Just because he's 21 years of age, doesn't make he a great candidate for a rebuild, especially the central piece of the defence. Hanifan is no better than the 3rd best Dman with the Canes, but if age is your main criteria in a trade, go for it. Others teams will be lining up all their 21 years olds.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
I would have no problem going after Hanifin. But I would not lose our best young assets to do it. The 7 oa included. The main piece would have to be Tanev. As some others have suggested toss in one of Dipietro/Gadjovich/Baertschi/Granlund type asset and a 2nd. Otherwise stay the course. Draft well and develop our own prospects. I still, for the most part, trust Benning's drafting.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Hanifin is a month older than Boeser. He fits just fine with this age group. He's a fantastic skater, which is needed in today's NHL. I think he projects higher than the defensemen in this draft

Well, if you think he projects higher than the what will be available on the draft, then all means you have a reason to trade for him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Since their cup victory in 2006,Carolina have made the playoffs once..They should be pretty desperate to rebuild themselves..Why are they dangling their 21 year old D-man (5th OA)?...A major flaw in his progression?..Character?..somethings up.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
Since their cup victory in 2006,Carolina have made the playoffs once..They should be pretty desperate to rebuild themselves..Why are they dangling their 21 year old D-man (5th OA)?...A major flaw in his progression?..Character?..somethings up.

Dealing from a position of streanth would be my guess. Their offence looks terrible to me on paper and Defence looks to be a position of strength.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Because they have a lot of depth at D and nothing at Center or Goal..?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Because they have a lot of depth at D and nothing at Center or Goal..?
Carolina's salary structure with a new owner ?,lack of progression in his game.?.or the team really has no intention of trading him,unless some team offers up a disproportionate number of assets..who knows.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Carolina's salary structure with a new owner ?,lack of progression in his game.?.or the team really has no intention of trading him,unless some team offers up a disproportionate number of assets..who knows.

Or he is the asset likely to bring the biggest return for a playoff run next year.

Suggesting they need to rebuild now is a weird notion. Their team is the 4th youngest in the league.

upload_2018-5-28_8-24-29.png

They gave up the least shots out of any team in the regular season while generated the 4th most. With average goal tending they were a playoff team this year.

upload_2018-5-28_8-29-15.png

( Scott Darling was 50th in es save% when counting top 50 goalies by minutes played, 88 / 95 if you count them all)

Last edited:
Reactions: Catbug

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Once again, I'm saying Carolina would probably want draft picks from us because what the hell else is there on the Canucks that anyone else would seriously want? If Hanifin is really that good, why is Carolina shopping him?

I know what you're saying. What I am saying is that Carolina likely isn't interested in getting draft picks unless they know they can turn that draft pick into a player. There are certainly players they want from the Canucks, but the Canucks are unlikely to move such players, hence most of us think the Canucks don't have the assets to make a good deal.

As for why are they trading Hanifin, if they are looking to trade him, then my guess is because they must feel they have enough depth and want to address different needs. This is a team that missed the playoffs the past 9 years. My guess is they aren't trading Hanifin to draft another Dman in this draft not named Dahlin.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
My guess Carolina is not looking for package deal that includes picks and prospects. They probably want a young scoring forward which Canucks don't have available. Tor make more sense, I think Leafs might trade Nylander or Marner for Hanifin

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad