Rumor: Friedman: Vancouver is a "stealth team" in the hunt for Noah Hanifin

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
This board really needs to get off of the idea of Tanev returning a first round pick of any kind.
Tanev could easily bring back a late first, but he is more valuable than that for us. Keeping him is probably the best option at this point. No way we get a Hamonic type package for him now.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Mike Matheson:

I’m not sure if Florida would be open to moving Matheson, but he likely wouldn’t cost nearly as much as Hanifin. Matheson is on a pretty good long term cap friendly deal, and still has a realistic shot of breaking out. He’s a darling from an advanced stats perspective as well.

If the Canucks are looking for a young PMD, he might be a good guy to acquire.

What do you think Florida would want in a trade?

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
Mike Matheson:

I’m not sure if Florida would be open to moving Matheson, but he likely wouldn’t cost nearly as much as Hanifin. Matheson is on a pretty good long term cap friendly deal, and still has a realistic shot of breaking out. He’s a darling from an advanced stats perspective as well.

yeah but how much grit does he have?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This board really needs to get off of the idea of Tanev returning a first round pick of any kind.
I don’t think we should trade Tanev. He’s the ideal partner for Olli. They will make an awesome second pair.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
**** Vancouver, lol. I’m not saying my deal is fair, but IF there’s a good deal to be made that benefits the Canucks and it involves our 2019 1st, then I’m all for it. I couldn’t care less if local fans don’t get to see Vancouver make a pick.

Who knows - maybe at the 2019 draft, perhaps Benning can move Tanev for a late first round pick and get a standing ovation from the fans or something. :p

Any time you trade a 1st round pick it bloody well better “benefit” your team lol

That alone isn’t good justification for doing so. The issue is whether it benefits the Canucks *enough* to be worth trading a potential top 5 pick in a year that the draft is in Vancouver.

Imagine if Hanifin comes in, plays like a decent second pair D, and Vancouver finishes with a top 5 pick again. You think that’s gonna look good for Benning in this market? Lol dude is gonna get murdered by fans and media alike. Actually maybe that wouldn’t be such a terrible thing ...

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Any time you trade a 1st round pick it bloody well better “benefit” your team lol

That alone isn’t good justification for doing so. The issue is whether it benefits the Canucks *enough* to be worth trading a potential top 5 pick in a year that the draft is in Vancouver.

Imagine if Hanifin comes in, plays like a decent second pair D, and Vancouver finishes with a top 5 pick again. You think that’s gonna look good for Benning in this market? Lol dude is gonna get murdered by fans and media alike. Actually maybe that wouldn’t be such a terrible thing ...

huh? that sounds ideal to me. unless you're saying we should be gunning for last to up our chances at Hughes?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Mike Matheson:

He's about to begin his 8 year contract. I doubt they trade him now. He would need to be a lot cheaper in acquisition cost than Hanifin to be a better target given the 8 year commitment and similar defensive improvements needed.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This was from a few days ago, but I figured I'd weigh in as a Canes fan. It's a combination of things.

1) Slavin and Pesce were used as the shutdown pairing and were the best option to take on all the toughest assignments. They were by far the best options.
2) Hanifin-Faulk never worked as a pairing as they had similar strengths and weaknesses. That said, Faulk seems to be the guy that had the toughest times meshing with a partner as Hanifin-Pesce and Hanifin-TVR worked fine.
3) Hanifin wasn't consistent enough defensively. He took a big step forward last year in his game, but he still had his share of hiccups on D, which isn't too unexpected given he just turned 21 in January.

The Canes really had no business bringing him straight to the NHL as he was only 17 when he started at BC, but maybe they were worried about the ability to sign him if they sent him back to college. He clearly needed more development and IMO, would have been better off with another year or two of seasoning.

I think the Canes fan perspective is very much appreciated weighing in here.

Pt.2 is the thing that i think is the most concerning from a Canucks perspective though, and lines up completely with what i've seen watching a good deal of Canes games. It's one thing if it's just...incompatibility with Faulk. We've seen quality Top-4D who are simply oil and water here before too. But it's a bit more concerning when we're talking about the sort of pricetag on acquiring Hanifin. If you're giving up that sort of price...you want to get back an anchor for your defence corps. Someone who might be a complementary top-pairing guy, or at very least...really stabilize/anchor a good 2nd pairing. That's what the defencemen we'd be looking at in the 7 spot of this draft are potentially capable of. With Hanifin, that's kind of...optimistic projection. He could mature to that point defensively...but he also might not.

Is it just that Hanifin+Faulk specifically are incompatible, with too similar a profile? Or is it more that Hanifin still needs a bit of a "steadying" partner? The latter is where the risk comes in, when talking about moving the pieces being bandied about in these rumors. You don't move those assets for a defenceman who needs a stabilizing presence on a softer minutes pairing. Not at this point in rebuild at least.

Why? Tanev would easily fetch a late 1st with a line halfway around the block bidding if you put him out there at that discount price. It's just not worth it to move him for that little return. His value to the Canucks is higher than that. So if a late 1st is all you can get...you just hang onto him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think the Canes fan perspective is very much appreciated weighing in here.

Pt.2 is the thing that i think is the most concerning from a Canucks perspective though, and lines up completely with what i've seen watching a good deal of Canes games. It's one thing if it's just...incompatibility with Faulk. We've seen quality Top-4D who are simply oil and water here before too. But it's a bit more concerning when we're talking about the sort of pricetag on acquiring Hanifin. If you're giving up that sort of price...you want to get back an anchor for your defence corps. Someone who might be a complementary top-pairing guy, or at very least...really stabilize/anchor a good 2nd pairing. That's what the defencemen we'd be looking at in the 7 spot of this draft are potentially capable of. With Hanifin, that's kind of...optimistic projection. He could mature to that point defensively...but he also might not.

Is it just that Hanifin+Faulk specifically are incompatible, with too similar a profile? Or is it more that Hanifin still needs a bit of a "steadying" partner? The latter is where the risk comes in, when talking about moving the pieces being bandied about in these rumors. You don't move those assets for a defenceman who needs a stabilizing presence on a softer minutes pairing. Not at this point in rebuild at least.

My view is that the issue is with Faulk. He struggled with Slavin. He struggled with Hanifin. He did "OK" with Fleury, but not great. In years past, Hainsey was his best match. Seems like Faulk really needs a stay at home, steady defender which allows him to take more chances offensively. That's not what Hanifin is. Hanifin is young, moves the puck extremely well, and isn't afraid to jump into the play, which is what the Canes want. Hanifin was fine with Pesce and fine with TVR. I think the issue is he and Faulk both want to do the same thing and didn't mesh well.

I do understand your concerns with trading for him as he's not yet proven. I could be wrong, but I still think Hanifin will be a top pairing guy long term or at least a #3 who provides nice offense and I'd rather keep him. He has the skill, skating, size, and ability to be one and has made strides each year. I think we get spoiled when guys like McAvoy and Werenski hit the ground running and forget that guys like Jones, Hedman and a host of others took longer to really hit their stride.

That said, this year will be a key one for him IMO. He was too inconsistent defensively so far in his career and needs to cut down on the mistakes defensively, but I'd like to see him under BrindAmour as the coach. I think the Canes brought him into the league too early and you could tell he wasn't ready. Especially with the system Peter's ran to maintain possession where he expects his defensemen to hold the blue line, pinch frequently, play very tight gaps in the neutral zone, and quickly join the rush. There's no margin for error in that system and a tough system for a young defenseman to play.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
I wouldn't be against trading #7 for Hanifin. But before that I'd definetley see if the Canes would bite on a package containing a few of these pieces:

Virtanen
Dahlen
Dipetro
Gaudette
Virtanen
Hutton
2018 2nd
2019 2nd

Hanifin is only 21, fits the core of Horvat, Boeser, Petterson, Juolevi, Demko etc, and is trending in the right direction. Dman that are his size who can skate like he does and put up points are pretty rare. I project he ends up as a rock solid #2.

I don't see any dmen in this class aside for Dahlin who I'd bet on to become a #1. So if push comes to shove and #7 for Hanifin is the only way this trade gets done I'd strongly consider it.

The perfect scenario imo would be to trade for Hanifin while keeping #7 and then taking Hughes, Boquivst or Dobson with the pick.

Would set up our D core for years to come.

Last edited:

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Tanev is needing to go.So tired of him only good for 45 to 55 games a year.
If the rumors of us getting Hannifin go down .i can see us moving Tanev in a pacakge for ROR in Buffalo.Just my opinion.

Selling Tanev now would be terrible asset managment. The smartest move imo is to keep him and pair him up with Juolevi. Hope he stays healthy until the trade deadline which if so his value will rise quite a bit, and then flip him while picks and prospects are valued at their lowest.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Keith Ballard got more than a first round pick. Thomas Tatar got a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. Tanev is easily worth a 1st for the right team. For example any competing team whose pick is 20 plus Tanev is more sure than anything in the draft.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Who would you rather give up a lottery pick and two 2nd round picks for? Hamonic, Hamiltion, Griffin Reinhart (1 lotto pick and just one 2nd) or Hanafin?

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

Listening to the Patcast they seemed to think this is the year they'd try to move Tanev. It remains to be seen if they actually do though. They also eliminated the possibilities of picks being the main piece(s) and said they'd be moved down the list of offers and would like a center instead.

Which brings up the issue of who is going to trade a young center for Tanev ? I can't see a lot of teams willing to do that. Just the thought of Gudbranson as the best(I use that word lightly) RHD we have does make me want to dry heave though.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
So basically a trade that never happened. Okay then.

I would take Dougie Hamilton over Noah Hanifin 10 times out of 10. I also would not trade the 7th overall pick for Noah Hanifin.

So lets remove the Dougie Hamilton option from the 4 choices. Hamonic, Reinhart or Hanafin?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: