Rumor: Friedman: Vancouver is a "stealth team" in the hunt for Noah Hanifin

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
The time to strike on a defenseman will be ahead of the Seattle Expansion draft. Canucks will have open D slots and hopefully a number of draft protected assets they can move in return. Teams aren't going to want to put into a corner again so I'd expect more movement ahead of the expansion draft this time.

No reason for the canucks to be making any big moves right now. These next 2-3 years should be all about acquiring draft picks and building through the draft.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

That would be a disaster to say the least....

We all know Jim Benning's track record when it comes to acquiring veteran players.

What use do we have for a 27 year old 1B centre who would only likely make our pick and odds in the lottery worse... Just makes no sense.. He would waste away for at least 3 years here.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I was going to quote this for Cupless. I don't think it is just Frieman thing. I think this has legs. I don't know if it gets done, but I think we should be worried about it.
Yikes

I am very worried about actually.

I agree with But Gillis though. I think they are looking at it but will end up keeping the pick.

Why do we even have to be worrying about this though FFS.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
That would be a disaster to say the least....

We all know Jim Benning's track record when it comes to acquiring veteran players.

What use do we have for a 27 year old 1B centre who would only likely make our pick and odds in the lottery worse... Just makes no sense.. He would waste away for at least 3 years here.

If he moves future assets for O'Riley or the like, then we can stop arguing whether there is a rebuild or not.

Reactions: geebaan

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Yikes

I am very worried about actually.

I agree with But Gillis though. I think they are looking at it but will end up keeping the pick.

Why do we even have to be worrying about this though FFS.

Buffalo will want what Vancouver is unwilling to give for O’Reilly.

The conversation ends in 5 minutes with Benning farting in the receiver before hanging up.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think Buffalo moves O'Rielly for futures at this point. They have plenty of pieces to try and build a competitive team around now that they've secured Dahlin. If they're moving O'Rielly I think they probably want someone who can come in a contribute right away in return.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Maybe ROR asked to be traded? Isn't he the one that said all the losing made him lost his passion for the game? Coming to Vancouver won't help in that regard though, LOL. I'm sure he has some kind of NTC to block the trade anyways.

I can't see JB trading the 7th overall or next years 1st rounder anyways. The ONLY THING keeping him here is "the Boesers and the Pettersons". He can continue to buy himself time with drafting 18 years old. He trade that for a more advanced player, then expectations goes up for next season. If the team finished low again after acquiring "older" players like ROR or Hanifin, he has no more excuse to hide behind.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
This is just me talking out loud . Getting back to Hanifin I think this gets done if the it includes the following

To Carolina - #7 Overall, Thatcher Demko, Ben Hutton

To Vancouver, - Noah Hanifin, Scott Darling, and a 2019 2nd Round Pick, 2018 4th pick

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is just me talking out loud . Getting back to Hanifin I think this gets done if the it includes the following

To Vancouver, - Noah Hanifin, Scott Darling, and a 2019 2nd Round Pick, 2018 4th pick
An awful deal for the Canucks....I know Demko is a goalie, but he just might be their best prospect. And that seventh overall pick could actually end up being a d-man with a higher upside than Hanifin....As far as Darling is concerned, a career backup with a crippling contract. Now if the deal was Hutton, Baertschi and the seventh pick for Hanifin, Darling and those draft picks, we might be on to something.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Sooooo, a draft pick two spots lower than where Hanifin was initially drafted, a top 5 NHL goalie prospect, a struggling but still fairly young D, and we take on their $12.5M cap dump for Hanifin and some assorted lower picks?

Well, it makes me wanna puke so I guess that’s exactly what’s gonna happen.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

A full step backwards if you ask me...

One of Wahlstrom,Dobson or Boqvist +Demko and Hutton for Hanifin,Darling and a 2nd and 4th..

Its a good thing that your predictions are usually wrong.

Reactions: CanaFan

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

I don’t like that deal. We are giving up too much for too little.

Although I’m not a fan of the following idea that I came across, another poster on another board suggested that we trade Virtanen and “something small” for Hanifin.

With our 7thOA, we then draft someone like Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi. He also suggested that we keep Tanev.

I thought it was an interesting idea, but I’d prefer to keep Virtanen. Draft a RHD.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don’t like that deal. We are giving up too much for too little.

Although I’m not a fan of the following idea that I came across, another poster on another board suggested that we trade Virtanen and “something small” for Hanifin.

With our 7thOA, we then draft someone like Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi. He also suggested that we keep Tanev.

I thought it was an interesting idea, but I’d prefer to keep Virtanen. Draft a RHD.

In what universe does that make sense for Carolina? Hanifin is younger, plays a more valued position, and has been worlds better so far.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
In what universe does that make sense for Carolina? Hanifin is younger, plays a more valued position, and has been worlds better so far.

It doesn’t make sense. I was just quoting what some other guy said on another message board.

My opinion of Hanifin is similar to my opinion of O’Reilly. Both those teams will want what Vancouver should be unwilling to give.

Hard pass to both players.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It doesn’t make sense. I was just quoting what some other guy said on another message board.

My opinion of Hanifin is similar to my opinion of O’Reilly. Both those teams will want what Vancouver should be unwilling to give.

Hard pass to both players.

How is it an "interesting idea," though? It's absurd.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
How is it an "interesting idea," though? It's absurd.

He’s a well respected poster on another site. His line of thinking was that Carolina would eventually reduce their demands on expectations for a Hanifin trade. Virtanen + “something small.”

But I agree - there’s no way Carolina agrees to that. My original offer was 2019 1st, 2018 2nd, one of Baertschi or Goldobin, and Dipietro for Hanifin. I don’t think Carolina even bites on my proposal.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
As a Sabres fan I don't think you guys have anything you'd give up (Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson) that we'd want for ROR. The 'insiders' say that Botterill has a big multi part ask for ROR. Your 1st round pick would be part of any deal I'm sure.

Tanev has two seasons in a row with less than 50 games played and in his entire career never had a season where he played >70. Like the player but we already have Bogosian who spends months each season on the shelf.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Canucks can't be trading their 2019 first. Not even because it's likely a lottery pick, but more because the '19 draft is in Vancouver.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Canucks can't be trading their 2019 first. Not even because it's likely a lottery pick, but more because the '19 draft is in Vancouver.

f*** Vancouver, lol. I’m not saying my deal is fair, but IF there’s a good deal to be made that benefits the Canucks and it involves our 2019 1st, then I’m all for it. I couldn’t care less if local fans don’t get to see Vancouver make a pick.

Who knows - maybe at the 2019 draft, perhaps Benning can move Tanev for a late first round pick and get a standing ovation from the fans or something. :p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad