Rumor: Friedman: Vancouver is a "stealth team" in the hunt for Noah Hanifin

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Perhaps. However - I think there is something to be said about management giving the vote of confidence to the players......and also telling the players that the expectation is to compete for a playoff spot.

Let’s just say you do something as follows:

1) 2019 1st, 2018 2nd, Baertschi, Dipietro for Hanifin.

2) Tanev for Cal Foote + Ryan Callahan

3) Draft one of Dobson/Boqvist/Bouchard

Virtanen-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Gaudette-Pettersson
Leipsic-Gagner-Goldobin
Gaunce-Sutter-Eriksson

Callahan

Edler-Gudbranson (Tree replaces Edler in a few years)
Hanifin-Foote
Juolevi-20181st (someone like Pouliot,Stecher, or a short term vet that we sign holds Dobson/Bouchard/Boqvist’s spot until said player is ready).

Markstrom
Demko

I think that type of team has a lot of young pieces in place and is ready to compete for a playoff spot. Management gives them the vote of confidence and the team comes into camp fired up.

This is ridiculous :laugh:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I agree with this, but here’s my thought:

Never mind a superstar, drafting and developing a GOOD defenseman is quite difficult. That’s why when a guy like Hanifin becomes available, it should be strongly considered. I also believe that Hanifin is a little better than you’re giving credit.

While I don’t think it’s worth giving up a 2018 1st, Demko, Dahlen, Gaudette, Virtanen, etc., for Carolina, Hanifin isn’t exactly “poo” either. Having said that, I don’t think Carolina would accept my offer.

Are you seriously saying you wouldnt give up Virtanen for Hanafin but then easily offer the 2019 (among other stuff)? You probably could get 3 Virtanens and an icecream for what you want to offer.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Are you seriously saying you wouldnt give up Virtanen for Hanafin but then easily offer the 2019 (among other stuff)? You probably could get 3 Virtanens and an icecream for what you want to offer.

I’m quite bullish on Virtanen and so I think he’s going to take the next step. That’s why I’d love to keep him. I feel the same way about Gaudette, Demko, and Dahlen. I also think that whoever we get at #7 this year, will be a good long term player for us.

It’s unrealisitc, but I was trying to find a way that Carolina would realistically accept our proposal without us having to give up any significant roster players. Again - almost zero chance of happening.

In my opinion however, if the Canucks were to make a trade like that, combined with us drafting one of Dobson, Boqvist, or Bouchard, I think our defense would be in decent shape long term (I also included Tanev for Foote + Callahan in my proposal).

With all of those pieces, I think that the Canucks would be somewhat deep in all areas and could start pushing for the playoffs, while also being more active in the UFA side of things in terms of signing key guys to short term deals to round out the edges. It’s all a pipe dream however.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

No kidding.

Plus there is just zero chance we move the 2019 #1 with the draft being in Vancouver. Which, incidentally, is one of the reasons I think it's more likely that a desperate GM moves this year's pick.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I’m quite bullish on Virtanen and so I think he’s going to take the next step. That’s why I’d love to keep him. I feel the same way about Gaudette, Demko, and Dahlen. I also think that whoever we get at #7 this year, will be a good long term player for us.

It’s unrealisitc, but I was trying to find a way that Carolina would realistically accept our proposal without us having to give up any significant roster players. Again - almost zero chance of happening.

In my opinion however, if the Canucks were to make a trade like that, combined with us drafting one of Dobson, Boqvist, or Bouchard, I think our defense would be in decent shape long term (I also included Tanev for Foote + Callahan in my proposal).

With all of those pieces, I think that the Canucks would be somewhat deep in all areas and could start pushing for the playoffs, while also being more active in the UFA side of things in terms of signing key guys to short term deals to round out the edges. It’s all a pipe dream however.

Let me ask again, to you Virtanen has more value than VAN 1st 2019, VAN 2nd 2018, Baertschi and DiPietro?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Let me ask again, to you Virtanen has more value than VAN 1st 2019, VAN 2nd 2018, Baertschi and DiPietro?

...............that's not what I said.

My original quote was that I would not include Virtanen as part of a packaged deal for Hanifin.

Carolina's asking price is 2018 1st (7OA) + a young forward.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

My original quote was that I would not include Virtanen as part of a packaged deal for Hanifin.

That is why I asked.

Maybe it’s just me but I would not be willing to move Virtanen for Hanifin in any capacity.

To me that read like you wouldnt even deal him straight up for Hanifin, in combination with your "offer" it looked a bit weird to say at least.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden

Canucks would be insane to move the 1st pick in 2019. Not only is this team likely to fall further down the drain with the loss of the Sedins, but next years draft is probably better than this years draft as well. There's a bunch of interesting high-end centers and defensemen in next years draft. I like the top10 this year, but the top5 next year will be better im sure.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
Canucks would be insane to move the 1st pick in 2019. Not only is this team likely to fall further down the drain with the loss of the Sedins, but next years draft is probably better than this years draft as well. There's a bunch of interesting high-end centers and defensemen in next years draft. I like the top10 this year, but the top5 next year will be better im sure.

Also, the draft is in Vancouver, and it is pretty rare that the home team (minus NJ) will trade its first round pick.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
That is why I asked.

To me that read like you wouldnt even deal him straight up for Hanifin, in combination with your "offer" it looked a bit weird to say at least.

typo. Sloppy writing on my part. Typed that while marking a bunch of Chinglish Marketing 101 papers. :o

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Also, the draft is in Vancouver, and it is pretty rare that the home team (minus NJ) will trade its first round pick.

And if they do, they insist the trade occurs on the draft floor (like NJ did) and not an entire year in advance. It completely kills the buzz and I even think the NHL would frown at the host city doing that.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Possibly, but remember despite the Sedins being basically the best scorers, they also caused a lot of goals against with their slow play and bad defence.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
We should have one of the best odds in the league to land the Jack Hughes pick. Why the hell would anyone even consider trading away this pick?

EDIT: Nvm...just saw it's the same guy who suggested trading away a 5th overall pick to dump the Burrows and Higgins contracts a couple years ago.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Possibly, but remember despite the Sedins being basically the best scorers, they also caused a lot of goals against with their slow play and bad defence.
That's true, but you have no one replacing those goals, the top6 will be significantly weaker next year. Can't see this team picking lower than 10th next year. And we all know the team should have finished lower than they did this year, based on how they performed.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Hanifin would be a good pick-up. He's a legitimate, young defenseman who should have a long career in the top four on a contending team.
But there is no way they should even consider giving up the 7th overall, especially when there are at least four defensmen in the top seven who project to be at least top four D-men at the next level. They would be basically capping the upside.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That's true, but you have no one replacing those goals, the top6 will be significantly weaker next year. Can't see this team picking lower than 10th next year. And we all know the team should have finished lower than they did this year, based on how they performed.

Without the Sedins, unless we miraculously land John Tavares (won't happen) this will possibly be the worst team in the NHL next season.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Without the Sedins, unless we miraculously land John Tavares (won't happen) this will possibly be the worst team in the NHL next season.
Yeah i can definitely see this team finishing bottom 3 but it depends as you say on the additions. But it's more a question if those additions will make you finish 17th rather than if they will make you a legitimate playoff team. No matter what players comes in this summer, i can't see this team making the playoffs. And apart from the scoring you lose with the Sedins, you also lose a lot of leadership from 2 1st class guys that have always been around. Could be tough for the young guys to not have that anymore.

Just like they should have done in 2014, they should just embrace the fact that this team isn't ready to compete, heading into a pretty strong draft in 2019 (like 2015 was) it's a perfect opportunity to stock up as many prospects as possible. They were lucky enough to end up with Boeser in a poor draft position after such a mediocre season. After the 2019 draft, that's when you might be in a position to make the immediate impact trades.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Does anyone know why Hanifin is actually playing so many easy mins and not playing the hard mins?

-Is it because he is just not very good defensively.

-He is still young and Carolina wants to bring him along slowly.

-Carolina just has better options for the tough mins.

-its better for the team if he plays the easier minutes so he can concentrate on offence.

-does Carolina like to balance the three pairings. Kind of like the Canucks in 2002-2004. Jovo Ohlund and Salo their three best D were all on different pairings. Salo was a lot better D than Sopel but Sopel got the tougher mins even though he wasn't better than Salo

According to the article I posted, and from a guy that has apparently watched a lot of Hurricane games, the answer to your question is C.

Carolina just has better options for the tougher minutes (Slavin, Faulk, Pesce).

Hanafin is the number 4 defenseman on Carolina, but according to the advanced stats, is actually a #3 guy in the NHL that is starting to trend upwards. Interesting.....

This was from a few days ago, but I figured I'd weigh in as a Canes fan. It's a combination of things.

1) Slavin and Pesce were used as the shutdown pairing and were the best option to take on all the toughest assignments. They were by far the best options.
2) Hanifin-Faulk never worked as a pairing as they had similar strengths and weaknesses. That said, Faulk seems to be the guy that had the toughest times meshing with a partner as Hanifin-Pesce and Hanifin-TVR worked fine.
3) Hanifin wasn't consistent enough defensively. He took a big step forward last year in his game, but he still had his share of hiccups on D, which isn't too unexpected given he just turned 21 in January.

The Canes really had no business bringing him straight to the NHL as he was only 17 when he started at BC, but maybe they were worried about the ability to sign him if they sent him back to college. He clearly needed more development and IMO, would have been better off with another year or two of seasoning.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
This is really just a rumour by Friedman who throws a lot of click bait out there these days. Even Benning won’t trade the 7th pick and give up the opportunity to draft a higher upside defenceman than Hanafin.

Looking forward to the end of it.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
This is really just a rumour by Friedman who throws a lot of click bait out there these days. Even Benning won’t trade the 7th pick and give up the opportunity to draft a higher upside defenceman than Hanafin.

It's weird that he called us a stealth team yet we are apparently the only team in it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Benning tried to trade the Boeser pick for 1 year of Milan Lucic and tried to trade the Juolevi pick (and Bo Horvat) for PK Subban.

The notion that he wouldn't stupidly trade a high draft pick for short term gain isn't backed up by past actions.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Benning tried to trade the Boeser pick for 1 year of Milan Lucic and tried to trade the Juolevi pick (and Bo Horvat) for PK Subban.

The notion that he wouldn't stupidly trade a high draft pick for short term gain isn't backed up by past actions.

Doesn't sound interested this time with this pick for this player. A little too much Friedman.

Hopefully any quick fix mentality left with the Sedins.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

LOL - I would not bet on that. Management has consistently tried to shortcut the rebuild (a mistake IMO) and this would be a continuation of that approach. I certainly hope that is not the case but I certainly would not discount this happening.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I said this already, but the whole thing Smells like the team floating this to elliotte to gauge the reaction. Elliotte has never said the 7 was in play, but just said that he would probably make that trade were he the gm. What a curious thing to say.

IMO the team has tossed around the idea and asked elliotte to sell it as a good trade so they could gauge public opinion. If the trade goes through, elliotte looks like he had the scoop. If it doesn't well, he never said it would. It's win-win.

Just the way I am reading this "story." I think the team is kicking this around but in the end will probably keep the pick.

Reactions: MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad