Speculation: Friedman: "At the deadline I heard that several Jets players asked to be traded"

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
In these player friction events Chevy usually does the right thing EVENTUALLY after he has exhausted other options. His #1 crime along with and perhaps driven by Chipman was keeping Maurice too long. The byproduct of their inaction was this lost season, the Scheifele drama, the room chemistry steadily deteriorating until it manifested itself publicly. Inaction is in fact an action and thats the problem you are not avoiding the problem you are endorsing the problem and giving it your blessing by not changing it. There is a fine line between patience and incompetence. The key is self awareness and I am not sold our owner Is dialed in on this organizational blind spot but who knows.

There is always going to be some drama around NHL teams but this has gone past that. Thankfully it came to a head so hopefully they get things cleaned up this off season.
I have worked with many people that rely on confrontation avoidance as a management strategy. It never works, it only makes a bad situation worse.

Reactions: hn777 and ps241

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
If opinions are driving people away might want to stay off the internet altogether.
I think you missed the point. Opinions are not driving people away; people are getting bored or fedup of ignorant or over the top sh*t just repeated over and over and freaking over.

Nobody left because somebody says "Sawyer is a lousy color guy". Probably many left cause they got tired of reading "shut up Sawyer' over and over. Or the team is terrible fire this guy fire that guy over and fu*king over.

And they dont leave the internet they just go to other sites that are better.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think you missed the point. Opinions are not driving people away; people are getting bored or fedup of ignorant or over the top sh*t just repeated over and over and freaking over.

Nobody left because somebody says "Sawyer is a lousy color guy". Probably many left cause they got tired of reading "shut up Sawyer' over and over. Or the team is terrible fire this guy fire that guy over and fu*king over.

And they dont leave the internet they just go to other sites that are better.
Then hit the ignore button. Is it that difficult? Personally see it mostly discussion or opinions going back and forth. But that's my POV. If you get butt hurt you have to leave a site on the internet, can't imagine how folks would react in real life.

If people think there's a website out there where everyone holds hands and sings kumbaya, then they're going to be scouring the net for ages. Sorry, but the type of stuff you listed exists everywhere and frankly it's not even that bad.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Then hit the ignore button. Is it that difficult? Personally see it mostly discussion or opinions going back and forth. But that's my POV. If you get butt hurt you have to leave a site on the internet, can't imagine how folks would react in real life.

If people think there's a website out there where everyone holds hands and sings kumbaya, then they're going to be scouring the net for ages. Sorry, but the type of stuff you listed exists everywhere and frankly it's not even that bad.
Wow, over react much?

I was merely adding to the speculation as to why some regulars have up and quit.

I never said I was butt hurt. I said why I thought people had quit.

No, the ignore button is not difficult, but I never said I wanted to ignore anything. I simply joined in on the thoughts about why people had quit.

I know the type of stuff I listed exists everywhere. I never said otherwise. I just offered my opinion as to why so many people quit this place.

I know there's no website where everyone holds hands and sings kombaya. I just added my two cents about so many people quitting here.

NOW do you get it?

As for you can't imagine how guys react in real life, I think you're seeing it in the number of folks who have left for good. That's real, that's life.

Reactions: RinkMom

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Wow, over react much?

I was merely adding to the speculation as to why some regulars have up and quit.

I never said I was butt hurt. I said why I thought people had quit.

No, the ignore button is not difficult, but I never said I wanted to ignore anything. I simply joined in on the thoughts about why people had quit.

I know the type of stuff I listed exists everywhere. I never said otherwise. I just offered my opinion as to why so many people quit this place.

I know there's no website where everyone holds hands and sings kombaya. I just added my two cents about so many people quitting here.

NOW do you get it?

As for you can't imagine how guys react in real life, I think you're seeing it in the number of folks who have left for good. That's real, that's life.
That wasn't directed to you individually obviously, as you haven't left the forum so not sure what your issue is today.

Anyway as I mentioned before - If opinions are driving people away might want to stay off the internet altogether (not you, since you needed that pointed out)

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
We keep wanting to replace defensemen but they are playing a shitty system. It reminds me of the Oilers turnstile at G.

Let's fix the systems first and then see where we're at.

Don't disagree, but then there's still the logjam at LD, and if Samberg, say, can do most of Dillon's job (or maybe even all of it, and better) for 1/4 of his cap hit, then it makes sense to move him.

I'm really just thinking of how the team might be rebalanced by using its strengths and then looking to build cap and shore up the middle 6, RD, etc. That inefficiency is part of what the Jets might have mitigated had they looked to integrate their D prospects a bit earlier -- another season where players are evaluated by a new coaching staff means another year of window wasted.

Reactions: Jet and hn777

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Don't disagree, but then there's still the logjam at LD, and if Samberg, say, can do most of Dillon's job (or maybe even all of it, and better) for 1/4 of his cap hit, then it makes sense to move him.

I'm really just thinking of how the team might be rebalanced by using its strengths and then looking to build cap and shore up the middle 6, RD, etc. That inefficiency is part of what the Jets might have mitigated had they looked to integrate their D prospects a bit earlier -- another season where players are evaluated by a new coaching staff means another year of window wasted.

The whole concept of a "window" is a bit flawed IMO. If you think about it, a team could theoretically field a competitive roster year after year without ever going into full rebuild and full "peak window" cycles. Obviously, you never see that because no team can draft/develop/sign/trade with perfect accuracy, but it shouldn't be out of the question that a team stays competitive for 15+ years at a time either with a little luck and smart decision making. An average top player's career might be 2-3 years of development after being drafted at 18, followed by another 5-7 years in their peak prime and then another 3-5 as a declining, but serviceable NHLer. If each team has 6 top 6 forward spots, 4 top 4 D and a starting goalie to fill, thats at most 11 years of 1st round picks if you hit on all of them, with each of their "careers" spanning around a dozen years. Totally doable, yet unrealistic in a salary cap world where not everything goes to plan. If you supplement that with smart trades and signings to fill holes, as well as any success after round 1 to fill out the bottom end of the roster, a team could in theory be good for a long time and replace players as they phase themselves out. Either way, something to think about whenever fans or media spout off about a short "window" of competitiveness for any given franchise & roster.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Whether he asked for a trade or not, I’m not exactly keen having a supposed leader talk using individual language like that after a disappointing season.

I’d wager this is his agent backpedaling hard to better facilitate a trade since the vultures were probably circling around Chevy this week. And we know Chevy won’t take pennies on the dollar.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
yup, inexplicably the salary cap continues to go up in a league where no rink is ever full anymore because ticket prices are outrageous. Mark S. makes $10 million canadian for 8 months of "work" and is STILL unhappy. Another lockout can't come soon enough.
Scheifele is not making $10 million Canadian. The Canadian Dollar is at 0.78 US, not 0.61. Considering his very friendly cap hit, the Jets would be entertaining offers from a variety of clubs.

Reactions: hn777

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
He didn’t ask for a trade…. He kinda hinted.
Maybe Cheveldayoff isn’t that bright :sarcasm:

Reactions: hn777

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
This tweet seems to make sense.

So if Scheif wants out, he kind of acted like it, but claims he doesn't want out to help it make him easier to trade. But if he wants to be easy to trade, then shouldn't he just have done a better end of year interview in the first place?

Reactions: Guardian17

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
This is really getting ridiculous. Like I said, he has been my fav player until recently. But the more I hear and read, the more he comes across as an unlikeable person. Now he doesn't even appear to be bright either.

Comical.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So if Scheif wants out, he kind of acted like it, but claims he doesn't want out to help it make him easier to trade. But if he wants to be easy to trade, then shouldn't he just have done a better end of year interview in the first place?
1652109693033.gif

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

There's a video in here that goes into two and a half minutes of relatively indirect but very pointed accusations about the locker room that anybody who follows the Jets should have surmised themselves. The locker room is broken.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
There's a video in here that goes into two and a half minutes of relatively indirect but very pointed accusations about the locker room that anybody who follows the Jets should have surmised themselves. The locker room is broken.

Yikes. I don't put much stock into rumors from most posters (some are definitely credible though) but hearing that from James Patrick's second-hand account is damning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad