Speculation: Friedman: "At the deadline I heard that several Jets players asked to be traded"

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Elliotte dropped some bombshells in today's 32 thoughts podcast so this seems threadworthy

Jets stuff starts at around 15 seconds. Worth a listen. Some of the key stuff they said:

Mark Scheifele is the first person to say this but won't be the last.
Said multiple players may have wanted out and we will find out more. Says organization feels the same and will be willing to accommodate *some* but not all requests.
Said this was well known privately and is not a surprise. He kept saying he's wondering how deep it goes, said that line several times.
Said that he was chasing rumors around the trade deadline that several Jets players asked to be traded and the what he heard back was "lets see where we are at the end of the season"..
Marek said that he thinks some big moves will be made.

Basically what I got out of this discussion was that Scheifele stuff from yesterday is just the tip of the iceberg and more shoes may drop.

This disappointing season continues to get even more disappointing. I want to know who the other guys he's talking about are- I could see guys like KV, Harkins, Svechnikov asking for moves but I am wondering if some of the guys at the top of the lineup are also included.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
What has happened in that room for this to happen? Sheif wants out….where’s the leadership group in all this, is Wheeler that big of an issue?

Reactions: rkp

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
What gets me is if true, how SOFT and WHINY this group is. It's one bad season and they implode like this. There was much more losing and things were much harder during the early years of Jets 2.0 with the Buff/Wheeler/Ladd/Little/Enstrom group and no one was behaving like this and openly being so whiny (other than Kane who as his own situation).

If it wasn't for PLD I'd say bring in John Torterella and unleash him on this group. This is absolutely embarrassing and looks really bad on these players, it is one thing to have a losing season it is another to have a losing season and be exposed as a bunch of whiners.

If what Elliotte is saying is true then I hope names are named and we get a full explanation of what is going on.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Drips and drabs are slowly leaking and the picture being shown is that of a fractured dressing room and the losing has amplified the noise. It's not surprising when the leadership group seem to looking out for their own interests and their goals supersede the team goals. Management, Ownership, and Coaching all bare some responsibility but it looks like we have a few selfish players on this team and it's time for Chipman to get people in here to right the ship and move out the malcontents.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I guess it can't be all that surprising considering our head coach bailed on the team at his own will, which is absolutely unheard of... I mean, name the last NHL head coach who said "nah, I'm done. See ya fellas". It just doesn't happen, but it did here.

What a giant shit show this has become.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I honestly can’t believe anyone is shocked.
When you keep trotting out the same systems, the same voices the message means nothing.
TNSE needed to gut this coaching staff years ago and they did nothing.
Post automatically merged:

What gets me is if true, how SOFT and WHINY this group is. It's one bad season and they implode like this. There was much more losing and things were much harder during the early years of Jets 2.0 with the Buff/Wheeler/Ladd/Little/Enstrom group and no one was behaving like this and openly being so whiny (other than Kane who as his own situation).

If it wasn't for PLD I'd say bring in John Torterella and unleash him on this group. This is absolutely embarrassing and looks really bad on these players, it is one thing to have a losing season it is another to have a losing season and be exposed as a bunch of whiners.

If what Elliotte is saying is true then I hope names are named and we get a full explanation of what is going on.
Seriously one bad season?
More like 3 bad seasons masked by a very good goalie until this season.
This team is borderline unwatchable

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Anyone that has ever dealt with a toxic coworker (or even the toxic posters here) knows how miserable they make it on everyone every single day and that people with options will eventually take them and go work elsewhere if they feel like it isn't being dealt with.

I think COVID has played an additional role on top of the losing as many American players, or players on American teams didn't like coming into Canada. We've had additional restrictions here and limited capacity. It was hard for families and friends to come for a visit. If you're homeschooling your kids it's hard on your spouse.

If you're moving out 55 AND Helle then it makes you wonder who wants to stick around for the rebuild as that is 2 core pieces. We could get some really great assets in return I'm sure, but then we probably need to hit the UFA market and overpay for a goalie.

It's all just speculation at this point so hopefully at the year end interviews we get a bit more clarity but I would imagine that Svech would have a strong case to ask for a trade. Vesalainen probably would like a change of scenery. I wouldn't be surprised if Nate Schmidt would welcome going somewhere else once he started getting 3rd pair minutes. Brendan Dillon probably wasn't enthused to be traded here and clearly expects changes.

I've long been a fan of moving guys out 2 years before their contract is up you get a lot bigger return than moving them as a pure rental. We went all in this year and it went bad. If people were willing to come back with a new coach next year and run it back that would have been my ideal situation but it's sounding like that isn't the case. If there isn't belief in this team in the room than you've got to start seeing what is out there and likely want a blend of futures and right now players to make it a retool, not a full rebuild.

It might explain why there are still so many scouts at the Manitoba Moose games. We probably have irons in the fire for NHL guys for prospects and also will be looking to move our NHL guys for different picks/prospects.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Elliotte dropped some bombshells in today's 32 thoughts podcast so this seems threadworthy

Jets stuff starts at around 15 seconds. Worth a listen. Some of the key stuff they said:

Basically what I got out of this discussion was that Scheifele stuff from yesterday is just the tip of the iceberg and more shoes may drop.

This disappointing season continues to get even more disappointing. I want to know who the other guys he's talking about are- I could see guys like KV, Harkins, Svechnikov asking for moves but I am wondering if some of the guys at the top of the lineup are also included.

My head went to Dillon, Schmidt, Stastny
Post automatically merged:

I'm thinking Helle definitely wants out..
He said last week he’s enjoyed his time in Winnipeg and is looking forward to a couple more. That one might be a little overblown

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Thinking out loud here, but if we were to move Scheifele for Barzal, Helle for Mercer and 5OA, and then sign a half decent goalie in free agency…

are we better suited to provide long-term support for the PLD, Connor, Morrissey, Ehlers core than we are today?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I am not surprised at all.

Our head coach quit on the team!!!

As someone who has owned several businesses, this is a huge red flag for me.

Watching the Jets play this season there is a clear lack of accountability.

PLD mentioned that the team has no identity earlier this season.

I said in a thread last month that Chipman strikes me as a person who does not want to create waves or offend anyone and he wants to be everyone's friend.

You can't have this mindset when running a business.

The rot on this team must be cleared out and if Chipman can't do it, then David Thomson can message me and I'll take care of it.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No big surprise there IMO. Players talk about players on each team asking to be traded and how common it really is that fans just don't realize it, no doubt its more common on teams who are losing or had a big disappointing year.

I could those in that group being Mark, Wheeler, Ves and maybe Helle, Schmidt and Dillon. TBH I would be heart broken to see any of them go, not saying that in a spiteful way but lets be honest:

Mark clearly is annoyed about something, ok some times that happens besides his deal only has two years left and then he would want a very big deal next which is a bad idea so cash in now on him.

Wheeler is aging, no problem trading him.

Ves, meh trade him for mid range pick.

Schmidt has been a bit underwhelming, bring on Ville.

Dillon is replaceable by Samberg.

TBH Helle has had a very average year, he might be the only one I would hesitate on trading just b/c good goalies are hard to find........

Best part of this was we got rid of Laine (who whined about everything, lazy, terrible defensively, wanted a huge contract and hinted publicly at a trade also) and got PLD, think of that as a silver lining. haha

Honestly they are a frustrated group, had a big down year.......I get some want to know what the future is or they want out...........now is time for Chevy to step up and make a big coaching change.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
No big surprise there IMO. Players talk about players on each team asking to be traded and how common it really is that fans just don't realize it, no doubt its more common on teams who are losing or had a big disappointing year.

I could those in that group being Mark, Wheeler, Ves and maybe Helle, Schmidt and Dillon. TBH I would be heart broken to see any of them go, not saying that in a spiteful way but lets be honest:

Mark clearly is annoyed about something, ok some times that happens besides his deal only has two years left and then he would want a very big deal next which is a bad idea so cash in now on him.

TBH Helle has had a very average year, he might be the only one I would hesitate on trading just b/c good goalies are hard to find........

Best part of this was we got rid of Laine (who whined about everything, lazy, terrible defensively, wanted a huge contract and hinted publicly at a trade also) and got PLD, think of that as a silver lining. haha

Honestly they are a frustrated group, had a big down year.......I get some want to know what the future is or they want out...........now is time for Chevy to step up and make a big coaching change.
Good post. I think you would find many players on most teams aren't happy for one reason or the other.

I'd be quite interested in seeing who all wants out here.

Well Chevy needs to get thus sorted out and go with a group that is ready to compete.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Agreed, especially your 1st paragraph. Players on every team in the league ask to get traded for various reasons.

Only when it's Winnipeg, the narrative suddenly changes to being all about the city being terrible, the room being terrible, etc. Anything to whine about and have some people's inferiority complexes come out in full display.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
just based on their general attitudes which affected their play, my guesses would be: wheeler, hellebuyck. hellebuyck's about to age out for a goalie anyway so get a fortune for him and build around ehlers, dubois, connor, morrissey.

I would actually bet money that Wheeler is NOT one of the players asking out. For all his faults, he is not a whiner or a quitter... he is more of a silent and stoic type at this stage in his life who when unhappy would rather stew in silence than whine or quit on the team.

Edit: The only 3 guys I am 100% confident wouldn't ask for a trade are: Wheeler, Morrisey and Lowry. Don't have the same level of confidence in any anyone else (maybe Connor too if I am pushing it)

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
just based on their general attitudes which affected their play, my guesses would be: wheeler, hellebuyck. hellebuyck's about to age out for a goalie anyway so get a fortune for him and build around ehlers, dubois, connor, morrissey.
Ya goalies really are more art than science. Even with the great ones.....do you really get what you pay for? Price and Luongo come to mind. Then the countless others who have 1-3 top level seasons then become an albatross. I think goaltending needs to be a fluid situation.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Good post. I think you would find many players on most teams aren't happy for one reason or the other.

I'd be quite interested in seeing who all wants out here.

Well Chevy needs to get thus sorted out and go with a group that is ready to compete.
Agreed, especially your 1st paragraph. Players on every team in the league ask to get traded for various reasons.

Only when it's Winnipeg, the narrative suddenly changes to being all about the city being terrible, the room being terrible, etc. Anything to whine about and have some people's inferiority complexes come out in full display.

Agreed, if fans only knew the number of players and their names around the NHL each year who have requested trades they would be shocked. We've seen former players and insiders all say this happens on a yearly basis on most teams........just now for the Jets its bigger news due to bad season.

Some fans get very upset by players asking for trades, but not me. When Trouba wanted to play in the USA, I had no issues with it. I see it as part of building a winning team is getting the right players & mix of skill and guys who want to win in a city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad