Speculation: Friedman: "At the deadline I heard that several Jets players asked to be traded"

Nov 24, 2006
It’s been pretty clear for years that there’s an “old boys club” in the Jets organization. Blake, and Mark are the two who have benefited from this the most. Blake more due to the fact that he has cashed in on his Chip loyalty with that albatross. Players who outperform Wheeler, and Scheif, and still get a small portion of ice time, limited Pp time, and of course, limited money. Guys like Nik Ehlers. An elite talent that gets 20 seconds of Pp time if he’s lucky, usually plays less mins than Wheeler and Scheif. Ehlers should be the winger out there for 20+ a night, starting on the PP1 and the puck on his stick 90% of the time… he’s a dangerous player, we can all see that. When he’s getting every faceoff in his own zone, leads the NHL in transitioning the puck from his own zone to the Ozone with it on his stick… how much more heavy lifting (and shitty play from PP1) does this guy have to endure to get a shot?

Buff just instantly retired… maybe the “boys” turned their sights on him.

It’s pretty clear that Wheeler and Scheif were threatened by Patty Laine… I mean the kid can out score then and he looks like he’s not even tryin half the time! Guess what happens when he leaves? We see Mark and Blake trying desperately to clap home one timers from the Laine spot… damn! How does he do it?!?
I don't mean to single you out, but it's posts like this that have pushed me and others away from this board. It's toxic negativity and it's not based in fact. I think we can do better on this board.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Dear Sensible,

For accuracy it should be pointed out that @Pandemonia was indeed a regular and has been around since at least 2020, mostly in lurk mode. @Stumbledore points this out above. She has obviously had her fill of the nitrogenous sulphur laden anoxic material that accretes upon the lining of a healthy prairie slough eg, this board. As Loons certainly occupy and ply these waters, they must necessarily dump the vast quanta of nitrogenous materials that result from ingestion and digestion of organics, et voila, her limit was met. :)

-k

So thats how you spell her name, well I was close to right.

Reactions: kanadalainen

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
The posters who have left are not the "sky is falling" types. The mental exhaustion from reading about how awful everyone and everything involved with this franchise is, is real. I'm not even saying that some of the posters who left are pro-TNSE, it's just that the difficulty of having reasoned discussion is heavily increased by sifting through "Sawyer sucks!" and "Chevy didn't say fired this team is doomed!" over and over.

I'd also say that if positivity has forced people to reduce the time they spend on here, or to leave entirely, that says more about those people, especially if the positive group is a "small group of radicals." If you think it's annoying to have 3 or 4 people tell you your criticisms are wrong, imagine 3x that number telling you how bad everything is. There are also some who only seem to appear when things are going badly for the team.

I don't doubt for some people who are naturally more positive, the negativity may not be fun. I blame that on our management group. Winnipeg fans aren't dumb. We understand hockey and we can see with our own eyes that this team failed miserably at the 5 or 6 years of garbage dump hockey we put up with, on the promise of a brighter future. This was pissed away. It's not just that our window closed, it's the seething disappointment of the enduring of bad hockey that went for nothing. And frankly I don't trust this ownership and management group to get it right. That's why people stay away.

We don't even have a post game call in radio show ffs. This is truly as low as I've felt as a Jets fan since 1996.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I don't doubt for some people who are naturally more positive, the negativity may not be fun. I blame that on our management group. Winnipeg fans aren't dumb. We understand hockey and we can see without our own eyes that this team failed miserably at the 5 or 6 years of garbage dump hockey we put up with, on the promise of a brighter future. This was pissed away. It's not just that our window closed, it's the seething disappointment of the enduring of bad hockey that went for nothing. And frankly I don't trust this ownership and management group to get it right. That's why people stay away.

We don't even have a post game call in radio show ffs. This is truly as low as I've felt as a Jets fan since 1996.

I agree the lack of a post game call in show is disappointing, but I often found it hilarious more than insightful. In one of the first couple of seasons there was a guy who called in all the time saying that they needed to get Lee Goren and Jimmy Roy in the lineup to give them some extra oomph.

I understand the catharsis of getting frustrations out and all that, but negativity for its own sake is keeping people away. I don't think it's an overall crisis on the board or anything but I'm sure we're both right to some degree - the state of the team is keeping some people from posting here as often as they usually did, or would like, but there's also truth to people leaving or posting less often because of reading just negative after negative with nothing really behind it. I think it's just an unavoidable aspect of a public discussion board but it's still frustrating at times.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I agree the lack of a post game call in show is disappointing, but I often found it hilarious more than insightful. In one of the first couple of seasons there was a guy who called in all the time saying that they needed to get Lee Goren and Jimmy Roy in the lineup to give them some extra oomph.

You say disappointing, I say it's embarrassing and bush league. The only Canadian market without one.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think the large majority of the takes from the callers of those shows is far more embarrassing than not having one. We have no dedicated sports radio station - that's into embarrassing territory.
I really wanna know who are these people calling into these shows? As in, where on earth do they come from? Someone called into CJOB the other day during Toth's show and said the Jets should let Scheifele pick the next head coach so he isn't alienated because the Jets NEED a superstar like Scheifele, and if we have to trade him because he doesn't like the coaching that's a massive fail for the team. If you think that isn't absurd enough, he backed it up by saying Edmonton let Gretzky choose his coach and they went on to win five Cups (or whatever it was). Yeah, because Scheifele is definitely Gretzky .. Pass me some of those crazy pills, man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fairview

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

I don't doubt for some people who are naturally more positive, the negativity may not be fun. I blame that on our management group. Winnipeg fans aren't dumb. We understand hockey and we can see with our own eyes that this team failed miserably at the 5 or 6 years of garbage dump hockey we put up with, on the promise of a brighter future. This was pissed away. It's not just that our window closed, it's the seething disappointment of the enduring of bad hockey that went for nothing. And frankly I don't trust this ownership and management group to get it right. That's why people stay away.

Whaaaaa ? "5 or 6 years of garbage dump hockey"? Son, I don't know what team you think you've been watching but those of us that follow the Jets saw:

- 3 years ago our team finished second in our division and fourth in our conference
- 4 years ago our team finished second in our division, second in our conference, and made it to the final four in playoffs.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but not own your made-up facts. If you think we've "failed miserably" and the last 5 or 6 years has been "garbage dump hockey" then you're exactly the type of poster that tbcwpg was calling out.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Whaaaaa ? "5 or 6 years of garbage dump hockey"? Son, I don't know what team you think you've been watching but those of us that follow the Jets saw:

- 3 years ago our team finished second in our division and fourth in our conference
- 4 years ago our team finished second in our division, second in our conference, and made it to the final four in playoffs.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but not own your made-up facts. If you think we've "failed miserably" and the last 5 or 6 years has been "garbage dump hockey" then you're exactly the type of poster that tbcwpg was calling out.

Bro I'm pretty sure I'm older than you, so, drop the "son" stuff.

Also, what do you call the 1st 5 years of the Jets? We rode Ondrej Pavelec hard. We were awful.

And that was with the charity of being in the awful southeast division. I don't know what 5 years you are referencing or if you're high, but maybe check your facts.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Bro I'm pretty sure I'm older than you, so, drop the "son" stuff.

Also, what do you call the 1st 5 years of the Jets? We rode Ondrej Pavelec hard. We were awful.

And that was with the charity of being in the awful southeast division. I don't know what 5 years you are referencing or if you're high, but maybe check your facts.

I'm in my 70s and calling someone 'son' is a polite euphemism at my age.

I don't call the first five years of the Jets anything, I was living in Seattle then. I was referencing the last "5 or 6 years" since that was what the discussion was about. If you really "don't know what 5 years" I'm talking about then maybe you need to READ the part that says "3 years ago" and "2 years ago".

Reactions: Mathil8

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
You say disappointing, I say it's embarrassing and bush league. The only Canadian market without one.
Are you implying that somehow TNSE is at fault for there being no call in show? That's on CJOB who is the rightsholder. If you want a call in show then contact CJOB and let them know they should have one.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
The likes of North End Rick, "Ron", Ty from La Broquerie, and Ralph in St. James don't need to be heard from.
Im just saying it isn't TNSE who decides if there is a call in show or not, and if somebody wants a call in show their beef is with CJOB.

But I do agree with you, I read all the crazy and shit opinions we all post on here so I don't need to listen to more crazy shit on the radio.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Radio? That’s a joke, right? The only thing dying faster than radio is print media.
Sports talk radio is ultra niche, media giants like Bell and Rogers don’t give a crap about it.

Podcasts and various social media platforms are the future. Find one, I’m sure they’d love to hear from you, and odds are they won’t cut you off after a minute of ranting.

Reactions: ps241 and None

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yup, it’s posts like this that are so negative and far from reality that are driving people away.
It’s a anonymous discussion board where differing opinions and observations are shared.
If people leave that’s on them and them only.
I enjoy all of it even though I don’t agree with everyone.
If you shut down all discourse you simply end up with an echo chamber.
It’s funny how those negative comments from the last several seasons suggesting dysfunction are now being laid bare for all to see.
The reasons are only fully known and understood by those in the room.
The comments are all over the map,perhaps with elements of truth?
If a person is too thin skinned to handle comments they deem negative , they should probably not participate on the boards.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
It’s a anonymous discussion board where differing opinions and observations are shared.
If people leave that’s on them and them only.
I enjoy all of it even though I don’t agree with everyone.
If you shut down all discourse you simply end up with an echo chamber.
It’s funny how those negative comments from the last several seasons suggesting dysfunction are now being laid bare for all to see.
The reasons are only fully known and understood by those in the room.
The comments are all over the map,perhaps with elements of truth?
If a person is too thin skinned to handle comments they deem negative , they should probably not participate on the boards.
I’m fine with different opinions but that’s not what is driving people away. One statement is taken out of context and used to build a whole narrative. Then this “opinion” is repeated and repeated until it is spoken of as fact. It’s quite tiresome.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I’m fine with different opinions but that’s not what is driving people away. One statement is taken out of context and used to build a whole narrative. Then this “opinion” is repeated and repeated until it is spoken of as fact. It’s quite tiresome.
Fair enough
I used to ignore folks but that actually took away from my enjoyment
Cheers

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Heinola hasn't proven himself, guy looked mostly overwhelmed, Samberg is the real deal though!
Yeah. Not sure why we're gifting Heinola 2nd pair minutes. Hopefully he comes into camp ready next year because he clearly wasn't this year.

Reactions: hn777

James Lahey

Jun 24, 2015
Winnipeg
The likes of North End Rick, "Ron", Ty from La Broquerie, and Ralph in St. James don't need to be heard from.
My all time favourite moment on TSN 1290 was when the jets first came back. We just got pumped in back-to-backs by Washington (it was the set of games Slater had Ovi on the trolley tracks and got himself knocked out). I want to say it was late Friday night. We just got home and were having a drink or 2 and this absolutely hammered guy calls in and says "Ehhhh we should trade for that Ovechkin guy eh. He's pretty good". Like dead serious request to trade for prime Ovi. Not sure what happened after that we were too busy laughing.

Pops and I still laugh about that one constantly and it's sort of become a bit of a punchline, especially when guys miss the net or fan on a shot.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Yeah. Not sure why we're gifting Heinola 2nd pair minutes. Hopefully he comes into camp ready next year because he clearly wasn't this year.
I mean he's been better than Stanley all season and we gift wrapped Stanley minutes every night.

Hopefully Chevy takes this team in a new direction. The message was stale from Maurice. It's stale from Scheifele and Wheeler. The room needs a reset and to build a round Morrissey/PLD/Connor/Ehlers and more young guys. Bring in some other veteran leadership if necessary but our shit stinks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad