Speculation: Friedman: "At the deadline I heard that several Jets players asked to be traded"

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

There's a video in here that goes into two and a half minutes of relatively indirect but very pointed accusations about the locker room that anybody who follows the Jets should have surmised themselves. The locker room is broken.

I'm not sure that even bringing in a new coach can repair the room if this is the case. As hard as it is, might have to move both MS and BW this summer.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm not sure that even bringing in a new coach can repair the room if this is the case. As hard as it is, might have to move both MS and BW this summer.

First we have to see who follows who with the team. It's relatively easy to surmise that those are the two personalities that are creating the most division in the locker room. They are two of your leaders, both with letters. They've also been here the longest. They might feel entitled to it.

It's far easier to move Fefe, but Blake Wheeler has the most drag on offensive and defensive metrics in the top six. Even if you sell him at a loss with cap retention, you get net positive to the on ice performance if you sell Wheeler. I don't think management has the stones to do that. They see him too much as a pillar of the community, and they _love_ rewarding loyalty, while at the same time bemoaning "legacy contracts" that they signed.

Reactions: hn777 and Huffer

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So what's the divide?

Is the divide between Wheeler / Scheifele and the rest of the team OR is the divide between Wheeler and Scheifele and each has part of the room on their sides? Sounded like a confused message in that video.

JMO, but it appears to me that a while back Maurice decided to hand the keys to the room over to Wheeler and told him it's your room , you get to run it, and then when things got out of control, Maurice walked away because he didn't want to deal with the headache of the mess he created.???

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Yikes. I don't put much stock into rumors from most posters (some are definitely credible though) but hearing that from James Patrick's second-hand account is damning.

That doesn't sound great. Patrick is naming the names of his sources in Eakin and Hayes about where he got his intel from but that's also 2 guys that were trade deadline acquisitions that didn't perform very well here.

I wish he went into some more coherent details about what he heard other than 2 guys above the rest of the team. Anyhow, going to have to make some tough choices here as in my view there are pros and cons for all ways forwards.

Reactions: SM

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Gotta wonder if that Interview nixed any chance of him ever being considered for a coach spot on the Jets

Edit:
Also I wonder if 55 and 26 are equally as bad in that room and what kind of relationships are or are not salvageable. I put more of the onus on Wheeler here as the Captain and no doubt someone who 55 learned the ropes from, as well as Maurice for not being able to get a handle on it and letting it progress to where we currently are. Have to wonder if trading Wheeler, giving Morrissey or PLD the C and a new coach to straighten things out in terms of divide would be a better at trying to fix our issue. Wheeler is at a different stage of life and I would think less relatable to the younger core. Or maybe both just need to go. Should be a very interesting offseason

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsUK

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
That doesn't sound great. Patrick is naming the names of his sources in Eakin and Hayes about where he got his intel from but that's also 2 guys that were trade deadline acquisitions that didn't perform very well here.

I wish he went into some more coherent details about what he heard other than 2 guys above the rest of the team. Anyhow, going to have to make some tough choices here as in my view there are pros and cons for all ways forwards.

First, love to see ex-Survivor contestant Tom has a podcast. Thought he got a raw deal on his season.

I think Patrick is speculating. His words carry weight and he probably knows a lot of people in the business, but I don't think he has first hand knowledge or has anything else to give as far as details. I put stock into it but I'm sure what he's heard is similar to stuff he heard from Eakin and Hayes.

Gotta wonder is that Interview nixed any chance of him ever being considered for a coach spot on the Jets

I really doubt it.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Re: James Patrick talking about Jets bad dressing room...

Here is the shortcut to it off YouTube... starts around the 46:30 minute mark...

Patrick is talking about Alain Vigneault as a coaching option for Montreal & Winnipeg and the conversation pivots to the Winnipeg Jets toxic dressing room...

None

Feb 22, 2012
Couldn't find it but I swear that I remember Kevin Hayes saying he just never felt welcome with the Jets.

It wasn't a secret that Eakin didn't want to be here though.

I'm guessing that if James Patrick was an option for the Jets that he probably wouldn't be after they heard that. It's one thing for a fan or member of the media to report on rumors but you can't have a coach be a rumormonger so publicly.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Couldn't find it but I swear that I remember Kevin Hayes saying he just never felt welcome with the Jets.

It wasn't a secret that Eakin didn't want to be here though.

I'm guessing that if James Patrick was an option for the Jets that he probably wouldn't be after they heard that. It's one thing for a fan or member of the media to report on rumors but you can't have a coach be a rumormonger so publicly.

Kevin Hayes said that in addition to saying without actually saying that there was nothing for him to do in the city and he hated it. So maybe any kind of locker room stuff he was talking about was lost in the "Winnipeg sucks" talk. I haven't seen anything Eakin said about it either.

I really don't think this disqualifies him from the coaching search.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I really don't think this disqualifies him from the coaching search.

I was referring more to the implication regarding Wheeler and Scheifele with the rumormongering part of my post. I don't think anyone is endearing themselves to a team's management when you imply the locker room is dysfunctional because of the captain and one of the assistant captains.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
if our locker room has been so bad for 5+ years now then why did stastny re-sign here this summer, why did he convince schmidt to waive here as well

this 100% disqualifies him from the search

Nov 24, 2006
That's an odd interview for Patrick to give. I would think he'd be a bit more diplomatic, but whatever. If that is true that ex players are talking about a hostile dressing room, how can our GM sit there and watch this fester, to the point his head coach (reportedly) walks out and guys like Patrick are giving interviews about the state of the locker room? This is so disheartening to hear.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Not surprised. There were a few things that happened the past few years that kinda hinted towards that.

Ehlers being mauled by Thorton and teammates standing there with hands in their pockets.

Stastny saying teammates are cheating on their assignments.

I still swear that Ehlers refuses to pass the puck to Dubois.

There were some other little things I picked up, but are obscure and wouldn't be able to pinpoint. Something like players reactions or indifference when a team mate scores.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
That's an odd interview for Patrick to give. I would think he'd be a bit more diplomatic, but whatever. If that is true that ex players are talking about a hostile dressing room, how can our GM sit there and watch this fester, to the point his head coach (reportedly) walks out and guys like Patrick are giving interviews about the state of the locker room? This is so disheartening to hear.
I like Patrick, but he has a bit of a rep for lacking the "soft skills" that some Maurices -- erm, coaches, have in spades. But this seemed more like shooting the shit with your mates on a break than an actual interview/ discussion.

I mean, Stats is a respected team leader and still called out teammates and coaching in pretty explicit terms at times. Sometimes ya gotta call it as ya see it.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

He's doing a podcast with an old teammate and it was a tangent off of a discussion about Vigneault. He's not doing an "interview".

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I've never bought into the suggestions that IT, whatever it may be at the time, has been Chipman's fault. I don't see any signs of an interfering owner. Chevy is the GM and it is on him.

That is, until a 3 year extension to the guy who has built whatever it is you want to call what we have. Way too much approval under the circumstances.

If Chevy can't turn this aircraft carrier around pretty quickly, he is going to have to go. Chipman is going to have to dig into his pockets to pay him for those 3 years.
Yep, this super Jet Liner is looking like a tattered old 60's cargo plane with duck tape holding structures together, but a shiny new "skin and wings" with a new paint job covering the internal flaws.
Big summer of future influencing incorporating change, of some sort and direction refocused with a new bench boss and crew, and some new voices of leadership, new faces with proven effort to back them up. I am going back to my canoe and fitting in my new lifejacket suit, before the next round of rains wash us all away. Good luck staying high and dty everyone.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I like Patrick, but he has a bit of a rep for lacking the "soft skills" that some coaches have in spades. But this seemed more like shooting the shit with your mates on a break than an actual interview/ discussion.

I mean, Stats is a respected team leader and still called out teammates and coaching in pretty explicit terms at times. Sometimes ya gotta call it as ya see it.
Once again it befies logic how Chevy gets the re-up, let me push your chair in for you sir, 3 more years to continue here in a time of unravelling and discord and failed seasonal success, again!
Unless there is a plan to bring in a miracle worker coach and his own assitants already set just not announced. And Chevy has the green light to ship out Scheifele, Wheels, Hellebuyck for huge returns and futures? Doubt it very much. Same old behind-the-scenes cards held tight to the chest, deer in headlights stare still given, babble-babble-squeak message fed out to Jetland.
Probably best to just toe-the-line and trust in the "leadership to right the ship". Who are we all anyways? Just cheer them on and keep paying for entertainment even if it turns sour by season end, year after year. Oh well, there is next season...

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I have nothing against people being critical of players, coaching or management decisions, even brutally so. There is room for criticism.

I have trouble with people throwing unfounded personal attacks at players and ownership that have shown nothing but loyalty to the team.

For example, I've read lots of posts on here suggesting that Wheeler is a cancer. He ran Laine out of town and needs to be stripped of his C, bought out, etc. There is no proof and very little evidence of any of this.
All underlying speculation by hints of suggestion and interpretation of forlorn ex-Jets. Laine's situation proved a point, an idea, possibility of some leadership culture issues and influencing. Maurice was the wrong type of coach for a Patrik Laine talent. Never truly allowed Laine full accord to bring his best, how he knows how to use it, his "weapons" because Laine's instincts of habit and skill differentiated with Mau's-Chevy's-TNSE mantra and style. Wheeler should have been mentoring the lad, as captain and locker-room leader, not dissing the youngsters lack of defensive ability and overstepping him. This was brought up beford the trade but was hushed and swept away. Good on Laine to move on in peace and re-start fresh elsewhere.
Maurice is now gone but where has this leadership, locker-room directors gotten this team? In a state of disarray and head-shaking, behind the scenes, now coming out sort of.
Underlying is the emphasis of issues and problems continuing to fester just not showing its full face once again. TNSE actual mantra and style needs a revamp Underlyingly. Or it will be alot of "same old", ultimately.
Go Flames Go. They are back, 1 more day, 2 more Games to make this season a little more worth it!

Reactions: thegr8one66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad