Free Hinostroza

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Dammit, I've had so many misses that it feels good to get one on net for a change.

I undersold him a little. Liked his offensive abilities in junior and at ND but wasn't sure how much would translate at this level. Thought he'd probably be best suited in a 3L type role early on as a pro. He's been better than that and I'm happy for him to be so.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The thing that's impressed/surprised me this year with Hino is his passing. Didn't see that coming at all. Last year, he played like he literally had zero peripheral vision.

I think that low peripheral vision you observed in the past is the result of who Hino is playing with at a given time. Though a good passer, I've always liked his shoot-first mentality when he doesn't see a good passing opportunity ... which he exercised a lot in the past when playing with slugs with little or no offense to their game.

Folks who think VH isn't capable of 60 points in this league (when given the opportunity) are mistaken. Unfortunately, it will likely take a new coach and/or a new team to realize that. It's a bad joke that Q has only recently given him PP time, keeps him on the 4th line, and sits him in OT.

Last edited:

TQE

Mar 4, 2014
I think that low peripheral vision you observed in the past is the result of who Hino is playing with at a given time. Though a good passer, I've always liked his shoot-first mentality when he doesn't see a good passing opportunity ... which he exercised a lot in the past when playing with slugs with little or no offense to their game.

Folks who think VH isn't capable of 60 points in this league (when given the opportunity) are mistaken. Unfortunately, it will likely take a new coach and/or a new team to realize that. It's a bad joke that Q has only recently given him PP time, keeps him on the 4tth line, and sits him in OT.

Well, not really. How many times did he get rocked last year because he had no clue someone was barreling in on him. He played like he had tunnel vision. In fact, he reminded me of that hockey game I had when I was a kid where you push and pull the wire to move the guy up and down their track.

Anyway, I'm happy for the growth he's shown and enjoy watching him play. I still don't see him as a perennial 60 point guy. But maybe there is still another leap in him?

TQE

Mar 4, 2014

Right, once he got lit up so bad it knocked him out of the lineup for awhile.

Countless other times he got hit/knocked off the puck because he was completely unaware of what was going on around him. Night and day difference between last and this. Great to see.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Right, once he got lit up so bad it knocked him out of the lineup for awhile.

Countless other times he got hit/knocked off the puck because he was completely unaware of what was going on around him. Night and day difference between last and this. Great to see.
I agree. He is much better this year than last. He still has pretty big wtf moments, but they are fewer than last year.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I hope they try to sign him Järnkrok money. 6 years $2mil per.

Vinnie wont do it because he has seen this season that he belong and can still develop, but for Hawks that would be great.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
And I must add that I was heavily wrong about him. I didnt even like his speed last year or year before because it seemes that he only has motor, nothing more. He has proven me wrong and I’m very happy I was wrong.

He can be 15+25 guy for us long period of time.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
He very well may be able to do that but when you look at the current players who put around 60 points per NHL season on a regular basis that's pretty damn good company. I don't think it's insane for people to be cautious about putting that number out there. To completely write it off isn't fair either, but for people to be skeptical is fair, in my opinion. I've loved what I've seen of him since coming back up, with all that said.

Exactly this. Hino becoming a 60 point player is possible, but assuming it will happen is awfully presumptuous.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think Hino in the right situation and a strong shooting percentage season could hit 55-60 points. Since he has been called up he has played 3rd line minutes so his current pace will likely be similar to what his during his career (45-50 points). Similar to Kris Versteeg with more speed is the comp I keep coming back to.

Hino is the top 9 type we need going forward. Really important to have dynamic players outside of the top 6 because depth is huge.

Bobby - who would you rather have Hino or Schmaltz?

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I will gladly say I was wrong about him. He's 5 times the player he was last year. Last year he was exactly what someone else said. All motor. In terms of a car, he'd be the 1000hp crate motor with the bone stock suspension and steering on a muscle car. He has actually learned to utilize his speed very well, and the rest of his game has caught up to that speed from what I can tell. Which is nice to see. The book is still out on him. If he can take another step forward, then it's very much possible he could be a perennial 50-60 point player. And it's possible because he's still very young. But I think what we're seeing now is what he is. Which is a very good middle 6 type player who will probably put up 40-50 points most the time, with a career high coming in somewhere around 60-65 at some point. A really good piece of a team. Locking him up for something like 6x 2.0 or 2.5 would be outstanding.

I would love to see him really, really break out and become a star. He seems to have the tools. Would be nice to see the Hawks hit on one of those late rounders that develops into a beast a la Demitra, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Alfredsson, etc. Dunno if the Hawks have ever hit on a pick like that.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
ref to Hino, last yr i posted i didn't see his upside and to put it mildly i was not a fan of him.

well i still am not a fan, i still can see his upside. maybe his final development is that of a lite second liner or a solid 3rd. however i would like to see him get more chances on the 2nd line and yeah, let him prove he can't handle that responsibility. what i would like is not this 1 game at a time and then get yank for some reason like Q has done. let Hino have a good 5+ games to really embrace it and see what the team has.

no matter what, he has produce in a limited role. this stat needs to be looked at and tell me if this doesn't make other wonder what kind of player is he really ??

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
ref to Hino, last yr i posted i didn't see his upside and to put it mildly i was not a fan of him.

well i still am not a fan, i still can see his upside. maybe his final development is that of a lite second liner or a solid 3rd. however i would like to see him get more chances on the 2nd line and yeah, let him prove he can't handle that responsibility. what i would like is not this 1 game at a time and then get yank for some reason like Q has done. let Hino have a good 5+ games to really embrace it and see what the team has.

no matter what, he has produce in a limited role. this stat needs to be looked at and tell me if this doesn't make other wonder what kind of player is he really ??

/\ Yeah. He hasn't proven he can play in goal. :sarcasm: I bet he's an awful netminder, and seriously, what kind of dman would he be? I don't know what kind of player he is. :sarcasm:

And is it so difficult to capitalize sentences? Try a grammar check program. It's free:
Grammarly

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
/\ Yeah. He hasn't proven he can play in goal. :sarcasm: I bet he's an awful netminder, and seriously, what kind of dman would he be? I don't know what kind of player he is. :sarcasm:

And is it so difficult to capitalize sentences? Try a grammar check program. It's free:
Grammarly
well this is kind of a response that i would expect from you.....

ref to my post, i can't help that, this past several days i am having a bad days......

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
With the DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Hinostroza line now being a thing, and with Hino already having looked good with a Saad-Toews line, what is Hino going forward? This is important in figuring out his contract extension.

Going forward, he looks like he's not necessarily a top-6 guy, but does look like someone who can consistently play on one of your top-6 lines, and compliment two stronger or more skilled players. He looks like he won't carry his own line, but he seems like a guy who can help you complete a line.

How much is that worth, and for how many years?

migi

Feb 25, 2015
$6mil total for 3 years is my guess and hope. But cant see him agreeing in that.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
60 pts in the modern NHL is pretty impressive stuff and is reserved for top6 players --- and good ones at that. Hino is unlikely to hit that mark (though it is possible in the right context). Because he is likely to be a 3rd line guy --- a 40 ish point, maybe 45 or so would be great and would be possible. IF...

If he gets the privilege of playing with the same guys on an assigned line, properly constructed and with an assigned role getting 40-45 pts is quite probable. With Q as coach, there is rarely any single player who has that privilege. the lines are switched every 20 minutes, the players you play with are, eventually, everyone (as there is an almost total blending where everyone is tried everywhere) --- no continuity is established and line synergy is non-existent b/c the lines are so often switched. no one knows their role (the degree to which they would otherwise) nor do any of the players know the tendencies of their linemates well because they have 10 different combinations of linemates.

Bottom line, if Q remains at the helm the ultimate performance of everyone on the team is less than it should be --- Hino included. I would hate to be a young guy in Q's system (Q's lack of system).

Maybe with the right coaching, some development, and the right setting, Hino could approach 60. But 40ish is more likely.

Reactions: sugoi88

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I think Hinostrozas game compares well to Jonathan Marchessault

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
60 pts in the modern NHL is pretty impressive stuff and is reserved for top6 players --- and good ones at that. Hino is unlikely to hit that mark (though it is possible in the right context). Because he is likely to be a 3rd line guy --- a 40 ish point, maybe 45 or so would be great and would be possible. IF...

If he gets the privilege of playing with the same guys on an assigned line, properly constructed and with an assigned role getting 40-45 pts is quite probable. With Q as coach, there is rarely any single player who has that privilege. the lines are switched every 20 minutes, the players you play with are, eventually, everyone (as there is an almost total blending where everyone is tried everywhere) --- no continuity is established and line synergy is non-existent b/c the lines are so often switched. no one knows their role (the degree to which they would otherwise) nor do any of the players know the tendencies of their linemates well because they have 10 different combinations of linemates.

Bottom line, if Q remains at the helm the ultimate performance of everyone on the team is less than it should be --- Hino included. I would hate to be a young guy in Q's system (Q's lack of system).

Maybe with the right coaching, some development, and the right setting, Hino could approach 60. But 40ish is more likely.

the modern NHL is changing - first time in a long time we are going to have this many players with over 90 points in a year - hopefully those guys stay healthy and finish out the year, but scoring is up and we will be seeing it go up more and more as the skilled youth keeps pouring in.

as for Hino, I think he can carve out a career very similar to Tyler Johnson. A player that hasa high IQ, never quit attitude, and an elite motor- if you put all those together and play him with players of equal skill, he will carve out a career for himself. I can see him being a 50-60 point player a few times in his career, but that depends on his linemates and how they are performing as well.

what does he sign for??? that is a tough one, I hope Bowman can lock him in for 3-4 years @ 2.25-2.5 mil per year - I think that would be a bargain by year 2 of that deal...

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I expect a 2-3 year bridge deal at under $2m. He hasn't had enough time in the NHL to make significantly more than that with a bridge deal, and there is too small a sample size for a long term deal to be anything but a huge risk.

But I'm glad he's doing so well this season and hope to see him in a Hawks sweater for plenty more years.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Grammarly

That’s awfully dickish, but going forward I’ll be happy to critique your grammar both here and on those crappy articles you occasionally spam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad