Free Agent/Trades 2015: Offer Sheets, Buyouts, Terminations & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Roster fillers/free draft picks would be how I look at most of them.

Vets that are good - Komarov (tons of pro experience), Winnik, Polak, and Robidas.

Lupul and Phaneuf could be viewed as vets as well but Lupul is injured half the time and we still likely want to move on from Phaneuf at some point.

Polak is likely gone at the deadline though

Lupul and Robidas could help on the bench ... in civies.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Probably not until the TDL when the trade value of depth guys goes up and draft picks' value goes down.

That's the most feasible way the Leafs would get a 2nd or 3rd for Bozo.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So when we trading Bozak? I'm getting bored.

Could be later in the offseason, or at the beginning of the season. I don't care how long it takes as long as we get a good offer for him. There are still teams needing top 6 centers, and Bozak is a damn good one. We should be able to find an offer suitable enough for him.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Lupul is worth his contract when he is healthy IMO. Could be useful for a cap-floor team to have him to be cap compliant before the season starts, with the expectation that health insurance will wind up covering half his salary.

EDIT: OTOH, cap savings we get on his LTIR at the TDL might help us take a bad contract to sweeten a deadline deal, so maybe we're better off keeping him

The problem is Lupul is never healthy. Sharp has been throwing up 70-point seasons in Chicago for years -- look at the return they got for him. That doesn't bode well for moving Lupul.

I'd prefer to have Lupul on the team over Bozak and Kessel. At least we know he's willing to throw hits, make some attempt at playing defense, etc. He was awful last year but so was pretty much everyone...

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
So when we trading Bozak? I'm getting bored.

Don't be in such a hurry - he's still our best faceoff guy and I wanna see his game under Babs. When the rest of his line quit he was the only one that continued scoring...

The criticism of him is warranted but I think he will fit into a new system well. Lupul is the guy I'm worried about. He's a nightmare without the puck.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Don't be in such a hurry - he's still our best faceoff guy and I wanna see his game under Babs. When the rest of his line quit he was the only one that continued scoring...

The criticism of him is warranted but I think he will fit into a new system well. Lupul is the guy I'm worried about. He's a nightmare without the puck.

If by kept on scoring you mean he had less points....

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If by kept on scoring you mean he had less points....

Lets just use NHL.com and verify:

For Feb, Mar, Apr, total points:

Bozak: 16
Kessel: 16
van Riems: 13
Kadri: 12

So no he didn't outpoint Kessel down the black hole period.

However, I guess you could argue he didn't fall as far off as Kessel, who would be expected to be PPG, while Bozak would be expected around .6 PPG.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm somewhat surprised that Mike Santorelli hasn't been brought back by the Leafs as a UFA on another short-term deal. He seems like a guy that competes nightly and would be someone Babcock would be able to utilize.

His current asking price must be too high and the league saw that while he was strong statistically under the Leafs, but on a good team he as only a spare part.

Santorelli must be wanting to cash in on his Leaf stats, but a hometown discount to come back to the Leafs might be in his best interest.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm somewhat surprised that Mike Santorelli hasn't been brought back by the Leafs as a UFA on another short-term deal. He seems like a guy that competes nightly and would be someone Babcock would be able to utilize.

His current asking price must be too high and the league saw that while he was strong statistically under the Leafs, but on a good team he as only a spare part.

Santorelli must be wanting to cash in on his Leaf stats, but a hometown discount to come back to the Leafs might be in his best interest.

Perhaps the Leafs have enough players?

I'd be happy to see them go with what they have and audition the kids throughout the season.

They must have some prospects capable of playing in the NHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I'd be happy to see them go with what they have and audition the kids throughout the season.

You know me "I'm all for play the kids" always have and always will be :), but I think the new plan is to overripen them in the minors.

Santo seems like a good role model for young players to emulate when it comes to compete level. I'm a little surprised that Leafs thought Mark Arcobello was a better UFA choice after being tossed around on 4 teams last year passed on through waivers.

Arcobello is also only 5-8 and perhaps its the money $1.1 mil on 1 year that swayed Leafs management to go a new route.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
You know me "I'm all for play the kids" always have and always will be :), but I think the new plan is to overripen them in the minors.

Santo seems like a good role model for young players to emulate when it comes to compete level. I'm a little surprised that Leafs thought Mark Arcobello was a better UFA choice after being tossed around on 4 teams last year passed on through waivers.

Arcobello is also only 5-8 and perhaps its the money $1.1 mil on 1 year that swayed Leafs management to go a new route.

I agree, I would have preferred Santorelli. And thought we could have signed Arcobello for less than $1.1 million. Not that I minded the signing, just wasn't sure that it was a necessary move (especially on July 1st).

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Probably because Arcobello is one of the most undervalued players in the league.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

Having enough players already didn't stop Leafs last summer - still expect them to continue to look to add more competition over the summer - Leafs new motto "just cause you have a one-way contract doesn't mean you have a job". (Okay that's not very catchy for a motto but whatever.)

I wouldn't be surprised if the management team is talking to both Franson and Santorelli, but holding off on making any deals until Bernier is signed and they know how much cap space they have to work with.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Probably because Arcobello is one of the most undervalued players in the league.

Yup Edmonton, Nashville, Pittsburgh and Arizona thought so as he dressed for all 4 NHL teams last year.

His Corsi is good and everyone is playing moneyball and then cutting him loose in a few weeks.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Oduya signed with Dallas. So much for Phaneuf going there. Maybe Buffalo feels bad and wants a Phaneuf :laugh:

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Yup Edmonton, Nashville, Pittsburgh and Arizona thought so as he dressed for all 4 NHL teams last year.

His Corsi is good and everyone is playing moneyball and then cutting him loose in a few weeks.

If they kept him on their rosters, he wouldn't be undervalued then, would he?

He drives possession, and he scored 17 goals last year. Arcobello and PAP will go a long way towards providing the offense that Kessel provided.

In fact, one can argue that Arcobello + PAP will provide very close to the same as Kessel + Clarkson.

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014
I think what happened is Santorellli played himself into a lot of interest around the league. I think his price might be a little high for what the leafs want from him. We got Matthias who was basically Vancouver's Santorelli from the year before. Next year we'll probably sign another under appreciated guy to a one year contract etc. We can't get too attached to these players. As much as Santorelli was my favourite player last year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If they kept him on their rosters, he wouldn't be undervalued then, would he?

He drives possession, and he scored 17 goals last year. Arcobello and PAP will go a long way towards providing the offense that Kessel provided.

In fact, one can argue that Arcobello + PAP will provide very close to the same as Kessel + Clarkson.

Arcobello scored 7 goals with Edmonton and 9 goals with Arizona two of the bottom 4 teams in the NHL last year. So that is 16 of his 17 goals scored.

Only scored 1 goal on a playoff team last year.

Its a similar effect to Santorelli to piling up points on weak teams and struggling on good ones.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Arcobello scored 7 goals with Edmonton and 9 goals with Arizona two of the bottom 4 teams in the NHL last year. So that is 16 of his 17 goals scored.

Its a similar effect to Santorelli to piling up points on weak teams and struggling on good ones.

So you're going with, even someone has to score on the crappier teams?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Oduya signed with Dallas. So much for Phaneuf going there. Maybe Buffalo feels bad and wants a Phaneuf :laugh:

Phaneuf would still be an upgrade on some of their defencemen.

I wouldn't count it out completely, but it definitely does lessen the chance of him going there.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Oh, I didn't realize scoring goals for teams that stink is somehow easier than scoring goals for good teams.

Someone better tell the Oilers that all of Taylor Hall's goals are worthless.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Phaneuf would still be an upgrade on some of their defencemen.

I wouldn't count it out completely, but it definitely does lessen the chance of him going there.

Well he would still be top pairing, but they've got plenty of guys there it would be pretty redundant... Unless their group sucks to start the year (which is a possibility). Goligoski, Klingberg and Demers (along with Oduya now) are all solid guys, but Klingberg is the only one that should be considered top pairing, and it's no guarantee to see him continue his stellar play from last year. Oduya is also a tweener top 4, and after that, they just have some decent, but unproven, bottom pairing guys. Maybe a deal happens, but if they weren't willing to do it then, why would they consider doing it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad