Free Agent/Trades 2015: Offer Sheets, Buyouts, Terminations & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Still bugs me that Martin Jones got an unprotected 2016 1st. Doug Wilson what were you thinking?

Well it goes to show you how management can get screwed sometimes... Just like the Kessel deal. If Pittsburgh doesn't make the playoffs twice, we don't even get a 1st. We should have received an unprotected 1st for Kessel you would think, but they were their own worst enemy and JR took advantage of it.

At least San Jose is going to regret it when their bottom 3 goalie tandem flops next year and they'll give up a bottom 10 pick. Maybe they'll be desperate enough to trade for Reimer a little bit later and we'll get an excellent deal.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Condition doesn't really matter. Pittsburgh is making the playoffs.

I'm one of the detractors of their team, and just looking at the east, they'll be in a wildcard spot at minimum.

Will probably be gone first round though.

Edit: Though I suppose Kings missed last year was a shocker. But everything seemingly went wrong for the Pens last year, and they still managed to make it in, so.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Well it goes to show you how management can get screwed sometimes... Just like the Kessel deal. If Pittsburgh doesn't make the playoffs twice, we don't even get a 1st. We should have received an unprotected 1st for Kessel you would think, but they were their own worst enemy and JR took advantage of it.

At least San Jose is going to regret it when their bottom 3 goalie tandem flops next year and they'll give up a bottom 10 pick. Maybe they'll be desperate enough to trade for Reimer a little bit later and we'll get an excellent deal.

Pittsburgh's not gonna miss... Come on, now. They made it last year despite Maatta being out most the year with cancer, Dupuis missing pretty much the whole year, and Crosby easily having the worst season of his career. Oh, and Letang also hurt for stretches. That defense is absolute ass, but they should be fine otherwise.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I don't know either. I really don't know. It's not even about having too many centers, as most of them can play the wing just fine, it's about the core changing.

We have only traded one main player from last seasons team. That's not good enough for a change to me. I don't know if it's lack of interest, the Leafs wanting too much or the Leafs not being aggressive enough, but there hasn't been enough change with the roster.
They missed there chance, no one is intested in Phaneuf anymore.

Management thinking they could get more in the offseason for him was a big mistake, they should have taken whatever was offered.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Pittsburgh's not gonna miss... Come on, now. They made it last year despite Maatta being out most the year with cancer, Dupuis missing pretty much the whole year, and Crosby easily having the worst season of his career. Oh, and Letang also hurt for stretches. That defense is absolute ass, but they should be fine otherwise.

Pittsburgh should have more than enough to out score any problems in the regular season.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
They missed there chance, no one is intested in Phaneuf anymore.

Management thinking they could get more in the offseason for him was a big mistake, they should have taken whatever was offered.

It's one theory. Too bad we can't prove it. Would you have been happy with Pulks, Smith, and Weiss? If Dion has a bad year he's ours for the length of his contract, that's the risk.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

What's the big deal? NYR protected their 1st round pick in 2016 in the Yandle deal.
Some do some don't.
The Leafs wanted to move Kessel and were happy with the deal.
It's done.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
What's the big deal? NYR protected their 1st round pick in 2016 in the Yandle deal.
Some do some don't.
The Leafs wanted to move Kessel and were happy with the deal.
It's done.

I honestly don't think the deal was bad. We were never going to win this trade in the next 2-3 years anyway. Happy to see what Harrington & Kapanen can do, and we will get that 1st.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's one theory. Too bad we can't prove it. Would you have been happy with Pulks, Smith, and Weiss? If Dion has a bad year he's ours for the length of his contract, that's the risk.

Then it becomes the calculated risk.

You have to take into account what you're willing to gamble on.

1. Does a player after 30 improve his play? There aren't many players in the league that increase their ice time substantially after they hit 30.

2. What are you trying to get out of Phaneuf? He doesn't put up the points he once did, so he's just a guy that can log the minutes and drop the gloves the odd time.

Does all of that justify the contract? No.

All of these elements just don't add up. The return isn't the issue. The issue is getting rid of the contract.

If they don't do it now, the return starts to diminish more and more.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Then it becomes the calculated risk.

You have to take into account what you're willing to gamble on.

1. Does a player after 30 improve his play? There aren't many players in the league that increase their ice time substantially after they hit 30.

2. What are you trying to get out of Phaneuf? He doesn't put up the points he once did, so he's just a guy that can log the minutes and drop the gloves the odd time.

Does all of that justify the contract? No.

All of these elements just don't add up. The return isn't the issue. The issue is getting rid of the contract.

If they don't do it now, the return starts to diminish more and more.

I mean, I completely agree with this really. I even advocated taking that deal if it was the only one on the table. Dion's contract will, at best, remain 'meh'. He can never overperform that thing.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't know how much of a priority adding a bottom-6 center should be right now. We already have what 5? 6? 7? And give up a former 1st rounder for him too?

Well early 2nd rounder. I was thinking this is more or less like a Marincin investment, except we know what we are getting from him. I wouldn't be against picking him up if we have a spot for him and the price isn't too high. I think Kruger would be more valuable than Finn and Frattin, especially since both have fallen off the depth chart here.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
http://editorinleaf.com/2015/07/14/toronto-maple-leafs-marcus-kruger/

How do people feel about this? Should we target Kruger, and what would be the appropriate price to do so?

Would Finn + Frattin do it for them, because I would definitely do the deal if it does.

I like Krueger, but he isn't what this team needs right now. We need prospects and draft picks. We can use our own players to fill out bottom 6 roles. Despite a disappointing 2014 - 2015 season, Finn is still a prospect (only 21 years of age). Frattin could fill a bottom six role without losing a prospect.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like Krueger, but he isn't what this team needs right now. We need prospects and draft picks. We can use our own players to fill out bottom 6 roles. Despite a disappointing 2014 - 2015 season, Finn is still a prospect (only 21 years of age). Frattin could fill a bottom six role without losing a prospect.

If the Leafs can somehow find a way to trade Bozak, and if a miracle happens Lupul as well, then perhaps we can get Kruger at a very very cheap price, something along the lines of Herzog and Sparks for him, could be interesting.

Chicago has pretty bad goaltending depth so Sparks gives them something to work with while Herzog is just a meh prospect.

We get a player that we can actually afford and has good underlying numbers.

Either way, I wouldn't go out of my way to get Kruger but would definitely be a player I wouldn't mind getting on the very cheap, similarly how we got Beck.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
If the Leafs can somehow find a way to trade Bozak, and if a miracle happens Lupul as well, then perhaps we can get Kruger at a very very cheap price, something along the lines of Herzog and Sparks for him, could be interesting.

Chicago has pretty bad goaltending depth so Sparks gives them something to work with while Herzog is just a meh prospect.

We get a player that we can actually afford and has good underlying numbers.

Either way, I wouldn't go out of my way to get Kruger but would definitely be a player I wouldn't mind getting on the very cheap, similarly how we got Beck.

Still don't see why...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Still don't see why...

Every little upgrade counts. You get him at a fraction of his value, you can either flip him in the short-term if he plays really well and draws interest, or perhaps you found a player that can stay for few years at a good price.

Not a make or break kind of player of course but capitalizing on their cap problems could be a good thing.

Just talking hypothetically though. I think we have enough projects and short-term players anyway.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
They can have Bozak and Frattin for Kruger + Bickell + Asset. Whether it be a good pick or prospect.

Bickell can just take Frattin's 4th line spot, Kruger is more valuable to us long-term than Bozak, and we'll get a good asset.

Chicago gets a cheap top 9 forward in Frattin, and a solution at 2C while relieving themselves of their cap problem.

I actually really like this deal for both sides

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Phaneuf for Ritchie + ANA 1st 2016
Trade Bozak, Lupul, and all off-season signings for draft picks

Draft Chychrun hopefully.

--------

JVR - Marner - Kapanen
Ritchie - Nylander - Brown
Bracco - Kadri - Panik
Komarov - Gauthier - Leipsic
-Johnson/Leivo/Holland

Rielly - Chychrun
Gardiner - Harrington
Loov - Granberg
-Percy/Dermott/Finn/Valiev

Bernier
Bibeau

Stamkos is also a possibility and would look SICK inserted into that lineup:

JVR - Marner - Kapanen
Nylander - Stamkos - Brown
Ritchie - Kadri - Bracco
Komarov - Gauthier - Leipsic
-Panik/Johnson/Leivo/Holland

Rielly - Chychrun
Gardiner - Harrington
Loov - Granberg
-Percy/Dermott/Finn/Valiev

Bernier
Bibeau

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
They can have Bozak and Frattin for Kruger + Bickell + Asset. Whether it be a good pick or prospect.

Bickell can just take Frattin's 4th line spot, Kruger is more valuable to us long-term than Bozak, and we'll get a good asset.

Chicago gets a cheap top 9 forward in Frattin, and a solution at 2C while relieving themselves of their cap problem.

I actually really like this deal for both sides

So how much do the Hawks clear out on that deal? Bickell's got a ticket of 4M & Kruger comes in at?

IMO, they need more of an incentive than Bozak and Frattin to offload Kruger. There will be people that argue that Bickell is more valuable than Bozak and they'll just keep him, so Frattin for Kruger isn't worth it.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
You don't think Kessel's 40 + goals will help?

I can't see Kessel being fed by Crosby and Malkin missing the playoffs and the first rounder is over rated. Let's say we get the 25th pick in a weak draft, you would be lucky to get an NHL player of any calibre. It is only good for trade bait to move up so 10th overall plus 24th for 7th overall or maybe 6th pick.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Kessel is going to look like a top 3 player in the league playing with Crosby/Malkin. He could and most likely will hit 50+ goals and 90+ points (if not 100). Mark my words.

He needed to be traded. But the Pens hit the lotto. In my eyes, they are the heavy favorites to win it all now. As long as their main dmen don't get sidelined by injuries.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Kessel is going to look like a top 3 player in the league playing with Crosby/Malkin. He could and most likely will hit 50+ goals and 90+ points (if not 100). Mark my words.

He needed to be traded. But the Pens hit the lotto. In my eyes, they are the heavy favorites to win it all now. As long as their main dmen don't get sidelined by injuries.

Pittsburgh is one of the teams in the running for the Cup but I don't see them as the heavy favorites.
Their defense is still suspect as is the rest of their team depth.
They didn't win the Cup (and were bounced early) with James Neal scoring 40 goals as Malkin's wing.
In a 7 game series, I still give the edge to teams like Anaheim/Chicago etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad