Free Agent/Trades 2015: Offer Sheets, Buyouts, Terminations & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Random thought:

Anyone think there could be a deal to be had (Before season or mid-season) with SJS revolving around

Logan Couture
+

Nazem Kadri
Jake Gardiner
+

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It seems like things have slowed down on the trade front. Even Sharpe has been dealt now.

What does that mean for the Leafs? Does it mean that players like Bozak, Phaneuf and Lupul will at least start the season in a Buds uniform?

Does it mean that these players are not garnering sufficient interest or a sufficient enough return for Shanny to trade them?

Wondered what others think ......

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We don't need many trades at this point. Perhaps Bozak will still be moved.

TDL offerings seem abundant so I am sure we'll get some hits on that end.

Really really hope Holland and Panik emerge as fringe 2nd liners and Jake and Rielly hit stride. Komarov gets back his form. The rest are in the cross your fingers category.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
We don't need many trades at this point. Perhaps Bozak will still be moved.

TDL offerings seem abundant so I am sure we'll get some hits on that end.

Really really hope Holland and Panik emerge as fringe 2nd liners and Jake and Rielly hit stride. Komarov gets back his form. The rest are in the cross your fingers category.

So, your thinking that Lupul, Phaneuf and Bozak will likely start the season in the blue and white uni then, with a possibility that Bozak could potentially be moved?

So, does that mean we are not trying to trade these players, or that the market/return is not there for them?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bozak is the only player I see moving between now and training camp, but with each passing day it's becoming less likely it feels like.

Phaneuf and Lupul are staying for the foreseeable future.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Bozak is the only player I see moving between now and training camp, but with each passing day it's becoming less likely it feels like.

I don't see how he's a Leaf come fall. We just have so many centers on the team already.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

They must not like the offers for Bozak or he would be gone by now.
Maybe the thinking is that we should remain patient and hope he plays well this year to get some interest. Bozak actually did play decent down the stretch last year and maybe he actually plays better away from Kessel. I always thought he was too focused on getting Phil the puck, when there were times he could have been a bit more unselfish. I actually think Bozak's close friendship with Kessel has hurt his own game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't see how he's a Leaf come fall. We just have so many centers on the team already.

I don't know either. I really don't know. It's not even about having too many centers, as most of them can play the wing just fine, it's about the core changing.

We have only traded one main player from last seasons team. That's not good enough for a change to me. I don't know if it's lack of interest, the Leafs wanting too much or the Leafs not being aggressive enough, but there hasn't been enough change with the roster.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So, your thinking that Lupul, Phaneuf and Bozak will likely start the season in the blue and white uni then, with a possibility that Bozak could potentially be moved?

So, does that mean we are not trying to trade these players, or that the market/return is not there for them?

I think they will be traded just that they are going to see if Babcock can raise the value of some players during the season. Get some picks tinker a little and tread water. Evaluate and such really.

I could however be completely wrong and we could see Nylander and Kappy on the team.

Safe bet is option A, take it as it comes and see what they can do and where.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They must not like the offers for Bozak or he would be gone by now.
Maybe the thinking is that we should remain patient and hope he plays well this year to get some interest. Bozak actually did play decent down the stretch last year and maybe he actually plays better away from Kessel. I always thought he was too focused on getting Phil the puck, when there were times he could have been a bit more unselfish. I actually think Bozak's close friendship with Kessel has hurt his own game.

That's possible.

I just think that with how this team was last season, a lot more then one big change was needed. I don't care too much of the "well, maybe X player can play better under Babcock?". We needed big core changes and so far, we've had one.

Perhaps I'm not patient enough to see this core nuked out of existence but I was expecting a lot more then 1 core player traded by this point of the off-season.

We'll see what's the plan with the rest of these players I suppose. I like the rest of the moves so far so I should probably 'trust' what they have in store.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I just don't think that Bozak and Phaneuf have much interest around the league. Bozak is a weak centre, and Phaneuf is a #2 at best at a 7mil cap hit.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Prefer Bozak moves.

Lupul's contract is garbage so unlikely he is moved.

I think this year will be about building up Phaneuf's value around the league again.

The core still needs to move, I think the difference between Kessel and the other core players is attitude and professionalism. I feel like Nylander looks more in shape right now then Kessel has ever looked in his life.

The core will still be moved over the next 2 years.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
People need to be patient. It will take some time to move out the whole core. Management has been pretty productive so far, and people can't realistically expect everyone to be gone by training camp. They were smart to pull the trigger on the Kessel deal, but are smarter to wait to get the right deal for the other guys rather than give the away. My guess is Phaneuf may stay a year or two, and the rest (Lupul, Bozak, JVR) will be gone at points within the season, but will not last beyond the trade deadline. Phaneufs value can only increase under Babcock, and although he was the captain I don't think he was the root of their problems.
We will really get a sense of what this team is truly going to look like after the next draft.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Prefer Bozak moves.

Lupul's contract is garbage so unlikely he is moved.

I think this year will be about building up Phaneuf's value around the league again.

The core still needs to move, I think the difference between Kessel and the other core players is attitude and professionalism. I feel like Nylander looks more in shape right now then Kessel has ever looked in his life.

The core will still be moved over the next 2 years.

I wonder if Babcock wants to keep some core players as vets.

Don't forget the guys they signed aren't what you'd call vets, other than Winnik. They other guys are just NHL hangers on, and huge underachievers from their draft expectations.

Paranteau, Arcobello, Spaling aren't really players you bring in and use as a veteran example. Heck, some of them could end up with the Marlies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
People need to be patient. It will take some time to move out the whole core. Management has been pretty productive so far, and people can't realistically expect everyone to be gone by training camp. They were smart to pull the trigger on the Kessel deal, but are smarter to wait to get the right deal for the other guys rather than give the away. My guess is Phaneuf may stay a year or two, and the rest (Lupul, Bozak, JVR) will be gone at points within the season, but will not last beyond the trade deadline. Phaneufs value can only increase under Babcock, and although he was the captain I don't think he was the root of their problems.
We will really get a sense of what this team is truly going to look like after the next draft.

If JVR can post 25/25 this year he'll fetch a PREMIUM at the TDL with his contract.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wonder if Babcock wants to keep some core players as vets.

Don't forget the guys they signed aren't what you'd call vets, other than Winnik. They other guys are just NHL hangers on, and huge underachievers from their draft expectations.

Paranteau, Arcobello, Spaling aren't really players you bring in and use as a veteran example. Heck, some of them could end up with the Marlies.

Roster fillers/free draft picks would be how I look at most of them.

Vets that are good - Komarov (tons of pro experience), Winnik, Polak, and Robidas.

Lupul and Phaneuf could be viewed as vets as well but Lupul is injured half the time and we still likely want to move on from Phaneuf at some point.

Polak is likely gone at the deadline though

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
If JVR can post 25/25 this year he'll fetch a PREMIUM at the TDL with his contract.

I'm hoping JVR gets moved at some point this year for a 2016 1st round (unprotected) pick from a team on the fringe of making the playoffs (as Florida was last year), a top-end prospect, and a 3rd or 4th round pick (depending on the quality of the prospect received).

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
I'm hoping JVR gets moved at some point this year for a 2016 1st round (unprotected) pick from a team on the fringe of making the playoffs (as Florida was last year), a top-end prospect, and a 3rd or 4th round pick (depending on the quality of the prospect received).

I hope too, but that might not be realistic though. An unprotected 2016 1st and a 3rd would be more probable I feel.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
I hope too, but that might not be realistic though. An unprotected 2016 1st and a 3rd would be more probable I feel.

You are probably right. But another 2016 1st round pick would be huge. At this point, JVR would be our only player that would bring back that kind of return (other than Morgan Rielly, who I hope we don't even consider trading). I'd be happy with a 1st, 3rd, and a prospect for JVR. His contract has value in itself, as well as his age (only 26).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad