Free Agent/Trades 2015: Offer Sheets, Buyouts, Terminations & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Which teams might like bozak ?

Washington would be up there. Beyond that, any team that missed out on Vermette. Maybe Carolina is on that list too. I don't really know. There hasn't been very much on him or anyone else on our team recently. Management in really tight lipped so unless rival execs spill out BS, we don't really have anything.

I'm sure he is getting some interest of some sort. Same with Phaneuf... Probably from Dallas (especially if they lose out on Oduya).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Oduya to announce his new team today - not Chicago
The score. Ca

My money is on Buffalo. Dallas could also be in there also, but they need a Phaneuf more than anything else. Oduya doesn't help them.

You've got to wonder about Franson and Ehrhoff though.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
My money is on Buffalo. Dallas could also be in there also, but they need a Phaneuf more than anything else. Oduya doesn't help them.

You've got to wonder about Franson and Ehrhoff though.

Ehrhoff would be nice if he were a righty. Babs style d-man.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
It's one theory. Too bad we can't prove it. Would you have been happy with Pulks, Smith, and Weiss? If Dion has a bad year he's ours for the length of his contract, that's the risk.
Yes, i would have. A cap dump a good prospect and a depth player, its not great but at least we would have got out of Phaneufs contract.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Ehrhoff would be nice if he were a righty. Babs style d-man.

Well... No spots for him now. Even if we trade Phaneuf, we'd still have a log jam of sorts. Now if we trade Phaneuf and someone else :naughty:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Well... No spots for him now. Even if we trade Phaneuf, we'd still have a log jam of sorts. Now if we trade Phaneuf and someone else :naughty:

Down the left side, I see Rielly, Gardiner, Marincin, and Percy. Assuming Hunwick and Phaneuf play the right side, just trading Phaneuf and 1 left likely isn't enough.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Down the left side, I see Rielly, Gardiner, Marincin, and Percy. Assuming Hunwick and Phaneuf play the right side, just trading Phaneuf and 1 left likely isn't enough.

Percy is in the AHL for all of next year. No way he's coming up.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Percy is in the AHL for all of next year. No way he's coming up.

Well, some research done, I found out that actually, Ehrhoff does indeed play the right side effectively. If Percy stays down, I could see:

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Ehrhoff
Marincin-Polak
(Hunwick, Robidas)

If we do sign him. Not really too opposed to it. Could easily get a nice coup if he returns to form.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Well, some research done, I found out that actually, Ehrhoff does indeed play the right side effectively. If Percy stays down, I could see:

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Ehrhoff
Marincin-Polak
(Hunwick, Robidas)

If we do sign him. Not really too opposed to it. Could easily get a nice coup if he returns to form.

I'm good with that. However, I'd still try to trade Phaneuf and someone else (Polak maybe) so Hunwick and Robidas play. Hunwick plays both sides I believe, and Robidas is a RHD. Babcock will likely have a fit like he did in Detroit when he didn't have too many RH defenseman, but unlike there, our guys will at least know how to play the RH side. People may not like Robidas, but he is still a solid defenseman and has valuable leadership skills. As a pending UFA, he still has value barring we play him.

Oh yeah, Zidlicky is still on the market you for everyone's information. He's 38, but he still put up 34 last year.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I'm good with that. However, I'd still try to trade Phaneuf and someone else (Polak maybe) so Hunwick and Robidas play. Hunwick plays both sides I believe, and Robidas is a RHD. Babcock will likely have a fit like he did in Detroit when he didn't have too many RH defenseman, but unlike there, our guys will at least know how to play the RH side. People may not like Robidas, but he is still a solid defenseman and has valuable leadership skills. As a pending UFA, he still has value barring we play him.

Oh yeah, Zidlicky is still on the market you for everyone's information. He's 38, but he still put up 34 last year.

Robidas has 2 years left. Forgot about Zidlicky, though. Forgot about the Babcock LHD-RHD OCD factor as well. I guess he could be another extra to flip the deadline if that's what you wanna do, though I see greater return potential for return in Ehrhoff.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
So, your thinking that Lupul, Phaneuf and Bozak will likely start the season in the blue and white uni then, with a possibility that Bozak could potentially be moved?

So, does that mean we are not trying to trade these players, or that the market/return is not there for them?

I don't know either. I really don't know. It's not even about having too many centers, as most of them can play the wing just fine, it's about the core changing.

We have only traded one main player from last seasons team. That's not good enough for a change to me. I don't know if it's lack of interest, the Leafs wanting too much or the Leafs not being aggressive enough, but there hasn't been enough change with the roster.

I just don't think that Bozak and Phaneuf have much interest around the league. Bozak is a weak centre, and Phaneuf is a #2 at best at a 7mil cap hit.

Hard to separate the hype & hyperbole sometimes from reality and the truth.

Not sure how trading Kessel means trading the core as typically a core does not consist of just one player. It seemed like they were talking about more than this.

If the intent was really to move the core (although no one knows for sure I suppose), that would suggest that the current market wasn't that strong for our players like Bozak and Lupul.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Robidas has 2 years left. Forgot about Zidlicky, though. Forgot about the Babcock LHD-RHD OCD factor as well. I guess he could be another extra to flip the deadline if that's what you wanna do, though I see greater return potential for return in Ehrhoff.

Oh definitely, but I'm just putting it out there that he's a guy that teams could be considering also. I'd prefer Ehrhoff. Heck I'd put him top pairing if we moved Phaneuf.

I'm going to try to lay out how it could work in my head and then see if there's something that could realistically happen... Because realistic is as legitimate as you can get on HF Boards until you get some sources.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Prefer Bozak moves.

Lupul's contract is garbage so unlikely he is moved.

I think this year will be about building up Phaneuf's value around the league again.

The core still needs to move, I think the difference between Kessel and the other core players is attitude and professionalism. I feel like Nylander looks more in shape right now then Kessel has ever looked in his life.

The core will still be moved over the next 2 years.

Lupul is worth his contract when he is healthy IMO. Could be useful for a cap-floor team to have him to be cap compliant before the season starts, with the expectation that health insurance will wind up covering half his salary.

EDIT: OTOH, cap savings we get on his LTIR at the TDL might help us take a bad contract to sweeten a deadline deal, so maybe we're better off keeping him

Last edited:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Lupul is worth his contract when he is healthy IMO. Could be useful for a cap-floor team to have him to be cap compliant before the season starts, with the expectation that health insurance will wind up covering half his salary.

EDIT: OTOH, cap savings we get on his LTIR at the TDL might help us take a bad contract to sweeten a deadline deal, so maybe we're better off keeping him

In the big picture, it's been 4 seasons since Lupul deserved to make over 5m, except by the Clarkson point of reference. I think at this point, it's safe to say he isn't worth his contract. All he is doing is taking a spot someone who can literally provide what he does offensively, and (even blind and dumb) defensively. Does he provide leadership? Who knows. He does provide great instagram shots though. He's not a pariah by any means, but we have no use for him anymore.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Hard to separate the hype & hyperbole sometimes from reality and the truth.

Not sure how trading Kessel means trading the core as typically a core does not consist of just one player. It seemed like they were talking about more than this.

If the intent was really to move the core (although no one knows for sure I suppose), that would suggest that the current market wasn't that strong for our players like Bozak and Lupul.

The market is a fluctuating thing. Right now the market is cold everywhere, but times change, and it looks like the brass is waiting it out.

There should be some more action around late august, some more around in season.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The market is a fluctuating thing. Right now the market is cold everywhere, but times change, and it looks like the brass is waiting it out.

There should be some more action around late august, some more around in season.

Yeah. Maybe a team is desperate once the big name guys are gone also.

Let's just hope the remainder of the deals are on the Lucic/Jones side instead of the Kessel/Sharp side.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Rofl Sweeney. Why doesn't he just say that the budget will balance itself?

Not to be "that guy" but budgets do tend to balance themselves ;)

On a side note really would love Ehroff as a vet for our team although I get the sense he wants a cup and CHI would be a good fit with Oduya gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad