Free Agent/Trades 2015: Offer Sheets, Buyouts, Terminations & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Now this is assuming these guys have an average season compared to what they normally have... Except for Lupul where we assume he is healthy and productive and Brennan and Frattin where they meet decent expectations.

Spaling: 2nd round pick
Matthias: 2nd + 4th
Reimer: 2nd + 4th
Arcobello: 4th rounder
Bozak: 1st round pick
Lupul: 1st round pick + cap dump
Polak: 1st round pick or 2nd + B prospect
Parenteau: 2nd + 3rd
Phaneuf: High level prospect, 1st round pick + cap dump
Frattin: 4th/5th round pick + cap dump
Brennan: 5th + cap dump

Wouldn't be holding your breath for almost all of those returns.

Spaling = 2nd / 3rd
Matthias = 3rd/4th
Reimer = 2nd /3rd
Arcobello = 4th
Bozak = 2nd
Lupul = 2nd + dump
Polak = late 2nd / 3rd
Parenteau = 3rd
Phaneuf = mid/late 1st + b prospect
Frattin = 7th
Brennan = 7th

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Getting 2-3 picks out of the whole bunch would still be quite good I think. Even if it's just 3rd-5th round. ~14 picks in a draft gives Hunter a ton of opportunity.

I'm expecting more.

Spaling, Polak, Matthias should all return 3rd+

Winnik, Reimer and Hunwick if we choose to deal them should return 3rd+

Lupul imo has negative value unless he redeems himself. Tbh I don't see that happening. No picks here

Arcobello, parenteau can return 4ths or more.

That's a LOT of potential picks. They might try to spread them out over this year and next year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Spaling = 2nd / 3rd
Matthias = 3rd/4th
Reimer = 2nd /3rd
Arcobello = 4th
Bozak = 2nd
Lupul = 2nd + dump
Polak = late 2nd / 3rd
Parenteau = 3rd
Frattin = 7th
Brennan = 7th

That's if those guys do crap sure. Putting aside Bozak, Lupul and Phaneuf; assuming these guys have a bounce back season (which should be interpreted by having an average season in comparison to their career), what I said is right. If they have a similar season to what they had last year (so essentially a crap season and no bounce back), then what you said was right.

It's really just too early to call. These guys could have Winnik, Santorelli and Franson like seasons, and will be worth what I said... Or these guys could have Kontiola or Booth like seasons and be worth what you said or less. Most likely, it'll be a balance of both.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Spaling = 2nd / 3rd
Matthias = 3rd/4th
Reimer = 2nd /3rd
Arcobello = 4th
Bozak = 2nd
Lupul = 2nd + dump
Polak = late 2nd / 3rd
Parenteau = 3rd
Frattin = 7th
Brennan = 7th

You know you still have to ice a team right?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
You know you still have to ice a team right?

Does it have to be an NHL team?

Also, for all of those people whom like ROR, he was just charged for impaired driving and failure to remain at the scene... Does he fit our group now? Thank goodness we didn't trade for this guy.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Its got to be above the cap floor

Well let's see. We'd be have 35.5 million, and that does not include Bernier's. So let's call it an even 40 million. We'd need another 12.8 million to reach the cap floor, and we'd have have 8 forwards, 6 defensemen and 1 goalie. Mind you, in a Phaneuf and Lupul deal, it's almost a guarantee that we get back a cap dump. For example, Phaneuf + Reimer + contract dump for Hemsky + Lehtonen ++. Right there, that's 9.9 million and that doesn't include a cap dump for Lupul (or if we keep him, there's the difference). Plus the rookies still cost around 900k each, which would altogether probably be 5 million, and we can always find guys like Brewer, Sill or Lindstrom in deals as well. So we don't need to worry much.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If you were a UFA, would you want to sign with the Toronto Maple Leafs for a year and then hoped to get flipped at the deadline?

I'm sure a lot of people will say, of course that would be the best thing possible.

But there has to be some things to consider:

1. Moving their families constantly... Not that it matters to the fans, but has to be an issue to some.

2. Role with the team. Franson goes from playing top minutes with the Leafs to being a healthy scratch with the Predators. That's a huge reason why he's still on the open market and the same with Mike Santorelli. Santorelli was having a really solid year with the Leafs before the trade, but hasn't got anything yet.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
No kidding. People who think the Leafs are going to get 10 2nd rounders at the trade deadline are going to be disappointed. They're likely going to be the ones freaking out when reality smacks them in the face.

This.

They're going to move the one's that net them a clear return that outweigh's the benefits of keeping them.

I'd say only 2/3 of our latest one year deals get moved at the deadline.

Guys like Beck, Mathias and Marincin are likely part of the bigger picture.

Spaling and Parenteau are likely the prime targets for playoff bound teams due to their experience in season's past on contending teams.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
This.

They're going to move the one's that net them a clear return that outweigh's the benefits of keeping them.

Spaling and Parenteau are likely the prime targets for playoff bound teams due to their experience in season's past on contending teams.

I'm really uncertain as to what the Leafs will do with the long term.

How much time are they willing to invest into players like Beck & Marincin when they are already 24 years old? I'm sure that they will be here for a couple years, but basically to warm the spot of the next group of players.

I'd really like to get attached to these guys (Beck & Marincin) but I don't think it's the smartest thing to do.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
This.

Marancin and Beck will be RFAs so it makes sense to keep them. If we can't re-sign Matthias to a nice price by the TDL, I think they will move him. Same goes for IMO for all the other players we have on 1 year deals.

Mike1

Jul 29, 2002
Mississauga,Ontario
Visit site
This.

Another factor is that these guys are on one year deals for a reason. Not a guarantee that they deliver anything. They could be busts or get usurped by a younger player. A lot of Leafers need to be in wait & see mode instead of counting chickens before they hatch.

They're is still the rest of the off-season, plus training camp before we can start to even get a proper read on the team & the players on it.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
This.

Got the sense that Polak may be let go at the deadline.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If you were a UFA, would you want to sign with the Toronto Maple Leafs for a year and then hoped to get flipped at the deadline?

I'm sure a lot of people will say, of course that would be the best thing possible.

But there has to be some things to consider:

1. Moving their families constantly... Not that it matters to the fans, but has to be an issue to some.

2. Role with the team. Franson goes from playing top minutes with the Leafs to being a healthy scratch with the Predators. That's a huge reason why he's still on the open market and the same with Mike Santorelli. Santorelli was having a really solid year with the Leafs before the trade, but hasn't got anything yet.

With regards to families, I think it's a lot less common than people think that the whole family uproots their lives when the player signs a 1-year deal. Playing in the NHL requires that you're on the road half of the season as is, and when you know, expect even, that you'll be traded on the deadline, I think a lot of families wait to make that big a decision until they know they have a little more stability in a city.

As for the second point, I just don't see the logic there. Players want the opportunity to get exposure and playing time so that at the deadline, someone is willing to give them a chance at joining their Cup-contending team. Franson and Santorelli would have been in the same situation they were if they had signed 1-year deals in Nashville to begin with, they got the ice-time they did based on their play with the Predators, not with the Leafs.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
No kidding. People who think the Leafs are going to get 10 2nd rounders at the trade deadline are going to be disappointed. They're likely going to be the ones freaking out when reality smacks them in the face.

Well I don't think anyone expects 10 2nd rounders, but when they see Franson, Santorelli and Winnik turn into Marincin (Ross was worthless), a 2nd (which was sent over in the Kessel deal), 2 more 2nds, an early 3rd, a 6th and a guy whom is probably top 10 in terms of our prospects (and we are deep now). Marincin was a former 2nd rounder, and I think he's still worth that. 3 more 2nds. An early 3rd + 6th rounder is essentially another 2nd and then Leipsic, whom is worth another 2nd probably. Not directly, but right there that was essentially six 2nd's for 3 players. This time around we have 8 UFA's that could be worth something (Frattin, Brennan, Reimer, Spaling, Matthias, Parenteau, Polak and Arcobello). Obviously not all are going to be worth as much as those three, but that group should be able to pick up what Franson, Santorelli and Winnik got collectively and then some.

However, we do need to see how these guys do. The values I put on them assume that they do bounce back and have a career average season. It's unlikely all of them do, but regardless, enough of them should bounce back enough to pick up an excellent haul of futures. Even if they don't, most of them are good enough to get something, even if it is only a mid-late round pick. We have been doing better with later picks than earlier pick so that may be a blessing in disguise. Even in the 2015 draft. I like Desrochers (Possibly Oshawa's best overall defenseman), Lindgren, Korostelev, and Timashov more than I like Dzierkals and just as much as I like Nielsen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad