Free Agent/Trades 2015: Offer Sheets, Buyouts, Terminations & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
When do our UFA's come off the books? We have 8 UFA's for the 15-16 season - Brewer, Orr, Booth, Knodel, Sill, MaClaren, Marshal, Bodie.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'm really impressed with JVR. Despite his awful season, he always manages to escape criticism from Leafs coaches and management.

Hopefully their planning to trade him while his value is still somewhat high because his disappearing act will be much more noticeable without Kessel shielding him

:laugh: not from me he doesn't. BUt I agree - sell this guy while his value is at a high.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
If we can get a 2nd rounder for any of the UFA's we picked up I think we are laughing. Depending on the market I think we can get a 2+3rd for Polak if not a late 1st, depending on the market. Phaneuf should get a good prospect + 2nd + Dump, idk if we trade him either though. Lupul if healthy could get a 1st round pick, but injury problems will plague him. Bozak should get a 2nd ASAP, people will see he is a 3rd liner very shortly.

Also, not sure why everyone says don't trade JVR, he is on a sweetheart deal, big, top 6 winger. I think teams would be lining up to get him, he would be someone I would be looking to move ASAP, something like a 1st + A prospect ( JVR has almost as much if not more value than kessel imo because of his contract)

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Now this is assuming these guys have an average season compared to what they normally have... Except for Lupul where we assume he is healthy and productive and Brennan and Frattin where they meet decent expectations.

Spaling: 2nd round pick
Matthias: 2nd + 4th
Reimer: 2nd + 4th
Arcobello: 4th rounder
Bozak: 1st round pick
Lupul: 1st round pick + cap dump
Polak: 1st round pick or 2nd + B prospect
Parenteau: 2nd + 3rd
Phaneuf: High level prospect, 1st round pick + cap dump
Frattin: 4th/5th round pick + cap dump
Brennan: 5th + cap dump

Too high for pretty much everyone on your list even if they had career years.
1st rounders for Bozak and Lupul???

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
If we can get a 2nd rounder for any of the UFA's we picked up I think we are laughing. Depending on the market I think we can get a 2+3rd for Polak if not a late 1st, depending on the market. Phaneuf should get a good prospect + 2nd + Dump, idk if we trade him either though. Lupul if healthy could get a 1st round pick, but injury problems will plague him. Bozak should get a 2nd ASAP, people will see he is a 3rd liner very shortly.

Also, not sure why everyone says don't trade JVR, he is on a sweetheart deal, big, top 6 winger. I think teams would be lining up to get him, he would be someone I would be looking to move ASAP, something like a 1st + A prospect ( JVR has almost as much if not more value than kessel imo because of his contract)

I would trade anyone if the right deal was offered, other than the obvious like Reilly, Nylander and Marner.
I also think it makes sense to hold onto both Kadri and Gardiner in the hope they really take a step forward this term. Even if you decide to move them, need to increase market value.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Step right up, step right up, don't be shy! We've got four draft classes of face punchers and everything must go! Testosterone for everyone!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Too high for pretty much everyone on your list even if they had career years.
1st rounders for Bozak and Lupul???

A 1st for Bozak is not ridiculous, and if Lupul comes back to have a healthy productive season, that's not out there either. Otherwise, barring they have seasons that closely match their career average, that's probably what they can fetch.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal couldn't get a draft pick for Parenteau (with 1 year left at $4M), hence they bought him out.

Florida couldn't get a draft pick back for Boyes (with 1 year left at around $2.35M), hence they bought him out.

There is no way on this green earth that we are getting a first rounder back for Lupul during this current contract. Even next summer, he will have 2 years and $5.25M left. NOT A CHANCE even with a healthy and productive season we get anything that valuable. At best, we are getting a camp dump and B level prospect (or draft pick). At best.

These last 2 free agency periods haven't taught people anything yet.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ok then we have only 40 under contract not 48.

Uh? We have 48 contracts. Donaghey is the only one that will be back in the CHL. Johnson's contract likely doesn't count because he's going back to Sweden to finish his SHL deal (he's not on loan). If a player goes back for his overage year, which is possible, then it gets removed from the contract list.

We have 46 contracts if Kapanen and Nylander's contracts don't count (slide rule)... but I'm fairly certain they do.

http://capfriendly.com/?p=team-cap&team=Toronto Maple Leafs

Last edited:

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Montreal couldn't get a draft pick for Parenteau (with 1 year left at $4M), hence they bought him out.

Florida couldn't get a draft pick back for Boyes (with 1 year left at around $2.35M), hence they bought him out.

There is no way on this green earth that we are getting a first rounder back for Lupul during this current contract. Even next summer, he will have 2 years and $5.25M left. NOT A CHANCE even with a healthy and productive season we get anything that valuable. At best, we are getting a camp dump and B level prospect (or draft pick). At best.

He would have to have a good season.

his value is too low right now, but he had a 60+ point season last year and almost netted us Tyler Toffoli from LA according to analysts(they opted to trade for gaborik instead).

Hes not going anywhere unless he stays relatively healthy and plays at a 50+ point pace.

likely he goes next season, as his salary will be lower and he still has alot of skill.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Uh? We have 47 contracts. Donaghey is the only one that will be back in the CHL. Johnson's contract likely doesn't count because he's going back to Sweden to finish his SHL deal (he's not on loan). If a player goes back for his overage year, which is possible, then it gets removed from the contract list.

We have 45 contracts if Kapanen and Nylander's contracts don't count (slide rule)... but I'm fairly certain they do.

Nylander's should slide. Not sure about Kapanen.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
They won't be dealing Phaneuf or Bozak.

Lupul maybe.

As for the 1-year guys, they're all on the block, for sure. But I think it's ambitious to hope for anything better than a 3rd for any of them.

Arcobello I doubt gets more than a 5th, unless he performs miraculously.

Parenteau already has some bad history now, under performing for the Habs. Even if he has a 25-30 goal season for the Leafs, I would be very surprised to see him fetch a 2nd round pick.

Matthias is a question mark but if he plays well in the top 6 I'm not sure this is necessarily a guy the Leafs will trade, unless it's in a Winnik fashion to get him back as a UFA.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Uh? We have 47 contracts. Donaghey is the only one that will be back in the CHL. Johnson's contract likely doesn't count because he's going back to Sweden to finish his SHL deal (he's not on loan). If a player goes back for his overage year, which is possible, then it gets removed from the contract list.

We have 45 contracts if Kapanen and Nylander's contracts don't count (slide rule)... but I'm fairly certain they do.

They have 50 total contracts, assuming Beck and Bernier sign.

Donaghey will go back to junior and not affect the limit. Down to 49.

Kapanen and Nylander's contracts will slide, but still affect the limit. Horton affects the limit on LTIR. Atleast, that's the way it seemed to play out last season.

Andreas Johnson will likely lose a year off his ELC, like Granberg and Nilsson before him by going back to Sweden. I'm not sure if he would affect the limit. It's also still possible he stays in NA like Loov and Nylander who were under contract in Sweden and decided to stay/come back. So, 48 or 49 contracts depending on Johnson is the way I see it right now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They have 50 total contracts, assuming Beck and Bernier sign.

Donaghey will go back to junior and not affect the limit. Down to 49.

Kapanen and Nylander's contracts will slide, but still affect the limit. Horton affects the limit on LTIR. Atleast, that's the way it seemed to play out last season.

Andreas Johnson will likely lose a year off his ELC, like Granberg and Nilsson before him by going back to Sweden. I'm not sure if he would affect the limit. It's also still possible he stays in NA like Loov and Nylander who were under contract in Sweden and decided to stay/come back. So, 48 or 49 contracts depending on Johnson is the way I see it right now.

Nathan Horton
Joffrey Lupul
James van Riemsdyk
Tyler Bozak
Nazem Kadri
Leo Komarov
Shawn Matthias
Daniel Winnik
Nick Spaling
P-Alexandre Parenteau
Mark Arcobello
Richard Panik
Matt Frattin
Peter Holland
Taylor Beck

Dion Phaneuf
Jake Gardiner
Stephane Robidas
Roman Polak
Matt Hunwick
Morgan Rielly
Martin Marincin
TJ Brennan

James Reimer
Jonathan Bernier

Casey Bailey
Zach Hyman
Kasperi Kapanen
William Nylander
Frederik Gauthier
Stuart Percy
Matthew Finn
Tom Nilsson
Josh Leivo
Carter Verhaeghe
Rinat Valiev
Andreas Johnson
Nikita Soshnikov
Viktor Loov
Connor Brown
Garret Sparks
Antoine Bibeau
Brendan Leipsic
Christopher Gibson
Ryan Rupert
Cory Donaghey
Petter Granberg
Sam Carrick
Scott Harrington
Byron Froese

You're right. I forgot to add Beck.

They have 50 total contracts. Without Donaghey and Johnson, they are at 48. Without Nylander and Kapanen, they are at 46. I'm not sure if the latter 2 count... the rules are a little grey there, but I believe they count like you said because I remember that Nylanders contract counted last year, so Kapanen should as well.

So with every thing said, we are at 48 contracts.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Assuming they are not packaged, I would wager a guess the most likely returns are in the range of (could be prospect / young player equivalent of the pick):

Parenteau: 2nd round pick + maybe mid level prospect / additional later pick
Arcobello: 3rd round pick
Polak: 2nd round pick + mid level prospect
Matthias: (if he performs with more opportunity) 1st round pick / (if not) 2nd round pick + maybe mid level prospect / additional later pick
Spaling: 3rd or 4th round pick (depending on performance)
Reimer: 2nd + 4th round pick
Bozak: 2nd round pick
Lupul: (if he stays healthy & regains form): 1st round pick + cap dump, (if not): who the hell knows?
Phaneuf: 1st round pick and cap dump, or 2nd round pick + decent prospect + cap dump

Realistically we should be able to turn this group into (split between both 2016 & 2017) about 3 or 4 2nd round picks, 2 or 3 3rd round picks, a 4th+ or two, and a couple of decent prospects. There is a chance to grab a couple of 1sts, but it will depend on everything falling into place, having guys like Matthias & Lupul have great years, or a positive market shift on Phaneuf.

Now this is assuming these guys have an average season compared to what they normally have... Except for Lupul where we assume he is healthy and productive and Brennan and Frattin where they meet decent expectations.

Spaling: 2nd round pick
Matthias: 2nd + 4th
Reimer: 2nd + 4th
Arcobello: 4th rounder
Bozak: 1st round pick
Lupul: 1st round pick + cap dump
Polak: 1st round pick or 2nd + B prospect
Parenteau: 2nd + 3rd
Phaneuf: High level prospect, 1st round pick + cap dump
Frattin: 4th/5th round pick + cap dump
Brennan: 5th + cap dump

Little bit pie in the sky here. Don't think we're getting a 1st for Bozak and Lupul.

Agreed.

Some people need to temper their expectations, as some of these 1 year deals will remain Leafs and walk away to free agency.

Yes the best asset management would be to trade them all, but in reality they do need to ice a team and bringing up Half the Marlies roster 3/4 of the way through the season in itself may not be the most ideal asset management.

LOL. Apparently not.

Lupul nets us a 1st rounder? They would have snapped that up a long time ago. Bozak a 1st? Not likely.

Parenteau for a 2nd & 3rd? Montreal couldn't get any kind of pick for him and bought him out.

Frattin & Brennan return other AHL players.

Reimer, more like a 3rd.

People are going to be disappointed if they are expecting big returns for a lot of these players.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nylander and Kapanens contract slide.

Just like last year.

They won't start until next year. Unless they play the required NHL games.

Seriously, not that hard folks.

They won't count against the contract limit, as since their contract slide show, there is no contract to fill the void.

However, Dubas and Co may leave their contract spots empty, in case they get called up.

Last edited:

CapsYeti12

Mar 5, 2015
what would you take from Caps for JVR and Bozak? is this proposal possible for you...

JVR + Bozak <-> Johansson + Laich + Orlov + Carrick + 1st round 2016

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Nylander and Kapanens contract slide.

Just like last year.

They won't start until next year. Unless they play the required NHL games.

Seriously, not that hard folks.

They won't count against the contract limit, as since their contract slide show, there is no contract to fill the void.

However, Dubas and Co may leave their contract spots empty, in case they get called up.

Last year around the deadline, after he came to Toronto. The Leafs had said they were at the 50 contract limit. The only way that would have been possible would have been if Nylander counted against the limit. That's what we're basing it off. I googled it and it was discussed in the thread below. There is a Mirtle tweet confirming them being at 50 contracts in their as well.

http://www.tmlfans.ca/community/index.php?topic=2455.90

It won't burn a year, though.

Edit - I did some more googling and found an old HF thread about Granberg signing his ELC. Post #85 could be helpful with Andreas Johnson. He won't count against the limit, unless he stays in Toronto. But, he will burn a year.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1195757&page=4

Last edited:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
That actually makes sense. They'd need to count against the contract limit because they're available to be called up at any time. I'm not sure why I never thought of that. So they would count against the contract limit, but not burn a year of their contracts.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
what would you take from Caps for JVR and Bozak? is this proposal possible for you...

The total value there is great, but it's spread thin and we might not actually get much out of that package when you look back a few years later.

Need fewer, but better pieces for JVR. Think more like 1st + a top prospect. We want a piece or two that will really help push the rebuild forward, not a bunch of guys to give our rebuilding team useless depth.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
A 1st for Bozak is not ridiculous, and if Lupul comes back to have a healthy productive season, that's not out there either. Otherwise, barring they have seasons that closely match their career average, that's probably what they can fetch.

Personally - I think Bozak only gets a 1st if packaged.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015

That's not an insulting offer by any means, but from the Leafs POV I think we'd hope to get a future-oriented return with more upside than that (i.e. a 1st + good prospect, especially if the 1st is late).

There's less of an incentive for the Leafs to move JVR than there was with Kessel, so a team would really have to make Shanny/Dubas/Hunter stop and think before the ball would ever get rolling on a trade, I think. It's not a situation where they're trying to move him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad