Rumor: Free Agent Frenzy: Yamamoto & Puljujarvi elect Salary Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Problem with Lehto is that he's comparing JP to other finnish players and where he fits between them in salary wise. As he really thinks that Pulju is better than he really is, just because he's a good finnish player. Lehto just can't see the whole picture in league scale.

I hope Holland plays hardball and does what's best for the Edmonton Oilers. Let Puljujarvi return back to Finland and ruin his career. Hell, waive him or send his ass to the minors. At this point I'm done with the player. His confidence is being misplaced and coming across as selfish and oblivious.

You can't. If the Arbitrator rules, we have no choice but to give him the contract. Then you can only trade him and at that point, you're getting a 4th at best... maybe nothing at all.

If Edmonton doesn't have Jesse in their plans, and/or they think this ruling will go north of 3.5, you have to cut ties...
I thought I read somewhere that you could away after a certain amount.
  • Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 1 year and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the awarded salary, making the player a UFA [CBA 12.10(a)]

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Getting my popcorn ready to see how much Yamo and JP gets.

Too early to say but I have a feeling arbitration is gonna treat Yamo well

Reactions: ujju2 and McDoused

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Wonder what Zacha comes in at. Would let us know if a 1 for 1 swap of Pulju could have been realistic.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Is arbitration always a 1 year deal only? Can the player and team decide on longer? I don’t recall

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If Yamamoto gets or is looking $4 million per year (not saying he is) he will end up being the new Kassian/Foegele contract. It will be “I like the player but hes overpaid by 1-1.5 mil”.

Yamamoto to me is a 3rd liner. Should be around 2.5 mil.
Problem is, he has a strong case that he was used almost exclusively as a top 6 forward since the day he arrived

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Engvall just went for 2.25 and had an almost identical stat line. JPs agent is either delusional, terrible or both. He seems to blow smoke up his ass instead of being real with him. Like other players would kill to play with McDavid or Draisaitl to inflate their stats.

Wait, why is he delusional? Filing for arbitration is extremely common for RFAs. Very little chance Yamamoto or Puljujarvi actually make it to arbitration. Of the 26 RFAs who filed last year, literally one actually had an arbitrator rule. This is just normal business for RFAs. Expect him to eventually get something about 500K north of Engvall.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think that person is confused on how arbitration works.

There was basically a 100% chance that Yamo and Pulju would both file for it. It's barely even news.
Trues when about s will we know the final numbers? Hopefully this arbitrator isn’t hiding out at Gary’s lake house like Kane’s was

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
So how does it work if Yamo gets rewarded like 4 million. Do we have to take it or can we walk away?
Screenshot 2022-07-15 at 14-50-41 Arbitration Filings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps.png

$4.5M

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Historically arbitrators just look at points and compatibles to other players of the same age. I don’t think either player will get awarded anything absurd but usually a relationship is strained after going thru arbitration. The arbitrator isn’t going to care about playing time with Mcdavid, WAR or any other fancy stats.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Wait, why is he delusional? Filing for arbitration is extremely common for RFAs. Very little chance Yamamoto or Puljujarvi actually make it to arbitration. Of the 26 RFAs who filed last year, literally one actually had an arbitrator rule. This is just normal business for RFAs. Expect him to eventually get something about 500K north of Engvall.

It's not about arbitration, it's about Pulju's role. Lehto thinks that JP is clear top 6 player and should be paid like one.

Reactions: Oilhawks

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
It's not about arbitration, it's about Pulju's role. Lehto thinks that JP is clear top 6 player and should be paid like one.

Well, we'll see what he gets signed for. Filing for arbitration is completely normal here, and even if this gets to the arbitrator (which is almost definitely won't), he's not getting anywhere close to the crazy numbers that guys in here are throwing around (at absolute most, he gets a sliver over 3 million for a single year, less with any term). Even if his agent is as intransigent as people think, an arbitrator isn't going to give him much.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Well, we'll see what he gets signed for. Filing for arbitration is completely normal here, and even if this gets to the arbitrator (which is almost definitely won't), he's not getting anywhere close to the crazy numbers that guys in here are throwing around (at absolute most, he gets a sliver over 3 million for a single year, less with any term). Even if his agent is as intransigent as people think, an arbitrator isn't giving him more than that, either.

Of course he's not going to get that, I just answered why Lehto is delusional.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Engvall just went for 2.25 and had an almost identical stat line. JPs agent is either delusional, terrible or both. He seems to blow smoke up his ass instead of being real with him. Like other players would kill to play with McDavid or Draisaitl to inflate their stats.
They're just doing what basically every RFA does.

This would barely even be news if people weren't listening to the clickbait "$4-5M reward" garbage based on absolutely nothing, IMO.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Not really. JP was house money. He was able to bring him back here and get some use out of him. So in a worst case scenario where the arbitrator loses his mind and gives him an obscene amount of money, we just walk away. Even in that case, we could just use that cap for a guy like E-Rod and come out better for it.

I dont see him being awarded anywhere near that though but I'd love to see the comparables that would suggest otherwise.
If he gets some obscene amount then put him on waivers when the season starts. See if someone else bites. Let the agent know that JP won't have any nice stats to try for a bigger contract after the one year deal.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I would say re-sign Yamamoto to a long-term deal, give a show-me bridge contract to McLeod and accept one year contract that the arbitrator awards JP. Next year, you can move him, hopefully, after he has a 40-50 point showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad