Rumor: Free Agent Frenzy: Yamamoto & Puljujarvi elect Salary Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Looks like we're keeping Yams and Pulju this year. Foegle and Barrie have to be moving?

Reactions: Magnum23

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Because Pulju went to arbitration isn't a sign that we are keeping him.

It makes it more likely though that we get a sad return
He's getting 4m+, maybe closer to 5. Nobody is taking him for that.

Arbitration is going to utterly screw us for playing Pulju with McDavid last year.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Engvall just went for 2.25 and had an almost identical stat line. JPs agent is either delusional, terrible or both. He seems to blow smoke up his ass instead of being real with him. Like other players would kill to play with McDavid or Draisaitl to inflate their stats.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Eengvall just went for 2.25 and had an almost identical stat line. JPs agent is either delusional, terrible or both. He seems to blow smoke up his ass instead of being real with him. Like other players would kill to play with McDavid or Draisaitl to inflate their stats.

By all accounts the agent seems to be a piece of work, so probably both

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
There's no chance he'd get that much. A guy like Copp settled before completing arbitration last year for about a little more than 3.5 (3.65). He was coming off a contract where he made more than 1 million more than Puljujarvi and had significantly better stats in his last year, along with comparably strong underlying numbers. I know some disagree, but I consider it unlikely that Puljujarvi or Yamamoto get over 3 million.
I hope so, we will see.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Then Holland has failed miserably to not move a decent piece for any return. I guess we'll see what happens.

Not really. JP was house money. He was able to bring him back here and get some use out of him. So in a worst case scenario where the arbitrator loses his mind and gives him an obscene amount of money, we just walk away. Even in that case, we could just use that cap for a guy like E-Rod and come out better for it.

I dont see him being awarded anywhere near that though but I'd love to see the comparables that would suggest otherwise.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
By all accounts the agent seems to be a piece of work, so probably both
This was all fairly predictable. Holland had to know this was coming when he made the qualifying offers. Neither guy was going to sign the offer. Now the real fun begins and I don't believe that either puckster will be easy to trade given that the arbitration rights go with the player. The market doesn't like uncertainty.

Last edited:

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
I have hard time understanding how some of you think this was a surprise, or an unusual turn of events.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
He's getting 4m+, maybe closer to 5. Nobody is taking him for that.

Arbitration is going to utterly screw us for playing Pulju with McDavid last year.

There's no chance this happens. None. He'll be lucky to get over 3 considering his last contract and what comparable players over the last few years received. Same goes for Yamamoto. Chances are both come to deals before arbitration even happens.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Engvall just went for 2.25 and had an almost identical stat line. JPs agent is either delusional, terrible or both. He seems to blow smoke up his ass instead of being real with him. Like other players would kill to play with McDavid or Draisaitl to inflate their stats.

Problem with Lehto is that he's comparing JP to other finnish players and where he fits between them in salary wise. As he really thinks that Pulju is better than he really is, just because he's a good finnish player. Lehto just can't see the whole picture in league scale.

Reactions: oilers'72

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Then you let him walk away as a UFA.
You can't. If the Arbitrator rules, we have no choice but to give him the contract. Then you can only trade him and at that point, you're getting a 4th at best... maybe nothing at all.

If Edmonton doesn't have Jesse in their plans, and/or they think this ruling will go north of 3.5, you have to cut ties...

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
McLeod isn’t getting 1.5M- he has no arb rights and no negotiation leverage. His brother, with similar stats and in the same position, just signed for under a million

If Yamamoto gets or is looking $4 million per year (not saying he is) he will end up being the new Kassian/Foegele contract. It will be “I like the player but hes overpaid by 1-1.5 mil”.

Yamamoto to me is a 3rd liner. Should be around 2.5 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad