GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
The teams that the Wings are competing with in the East have all gotten worse. Boston has lost Iggy and they still may lose more due to their Cap; Ottawa has lost Spezza & Hemsky; Montreal has lost Gorges, Gionta, and Vanek; Washington signed Orpik to a ludicrous contract and they lost their #2C; the Leafs haven't addressed a single need and overpayed for another bottom 6 player. The only teams that could or have improved in the East are TB, I think they sign Niskanen or Stralman, Pittsburgh and NJ. Of those teams only TB is a threat imo.

We've lost Quincey but his minutes can be replaced by Smith and Smith's minutes can be replaced by Ouellet or Marchenko. As long as Kindl-Lashoff isn't a pairing next season we should be a better team.

Well... About the Lightning...

crashman

Wasn't there at least one really visible public spectacle where a player lambasted Holland/Detroit for lowballing players?

It was Wisniewski a few years back. He just said that Detroit won't pay market value. Which wasn't true one the Weiss contract.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Kenny is turning into the Ovi of GMs. He's still a star, but people are finally starting to make a stink about the holes in his game.

He's striking out left and right at pitching our program to free agents and gets hosed in trades but hey! He's a solid drafter who'll score 30 goals every year, er, I mean get you into the playoffs every year.

And sadly, 90 percent of fans seem like they're okay with only making it. Fair enough.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not a good sign the only time the NHL.com live feed has talked about Detroit was to say Holland could fit Cleary on the roster later in the summer.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Wasn't there at least one really visible public spectacle where a player lambasted Holland/Detroit for lowballing players?

There was Commodore saying his instincts were to not come to Detroit but Holland and Babcock convinced him to sign here. Babcock then proceeded to bury him os the roster all year and treat him like ****.

I'm telling you that, among other things, has made a lasting impression on players around the league and they don't want to play for him as long as the Wings seem so far away from contending.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
That's a charitable spin on the matter, though. Wisniewski was equally angry about players taking less to play in Detroit. He's a hardline union guy.

Yeah, he was quite angry about that one, too. It wasn't just about us lowballing players, which from the sounds of our offer to Boyle, we didn't.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Well, we've officially struck out on all the options I like.

Let's shoot for this with vets+kids

L-L
L-R
L-R

PP

L-R
L-R

So let's just for it with this

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Marchenko
Ericsson-Sproul

PP
Kronwall-Sproul
Smith-Marchenko

Address the handedness issue, and play the kids.

Don't mind that AT ALL. People need to have more faith in the kids.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
The Production Line @TPLhockey · 1m
Detroit joins Boston, Los Angeles, Nashville, and Philadelphia as the only teams without a move (aside from re-signing own players).

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
I expect Niskanen's team to have been Tampa. Guessing he'll reconsider going to Det now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This really doesn't bode well for Babcock extending. I think we should start expecting Blash to take over this youth movement.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And sadly, 90 percent of fans seem like they're okay with only making it. Fair enough.

Are you even reading this thread?

There's literally like 2 people who are happy, and that's because they love the prospects.

The rest of us are massively disappointed with the team as it stands.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
There was Commodore saying his instincts were to not come to Detroit but Holland and Babcock convinced him to sign here. Babcock then proceeded to bury him os the roster all year and treat him like ****.

I'm telling you that, among other things, has made a lasting impression on players around the league and they don't want to play for him as long as the Wings seem so far away from contending.

But I thought the way they treated the vets changed that perception:sarcasm:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
If Red Wings did bid up to par with the best offer I'm genuinely surprised. Stralman even shares the same Swedish club as Z.

By the lack of Stralman talk from the Detroit beat writers prior to now, I wonder if Detroit even reached out in a sincere way earlier in the process.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Are you even reading this thread?

There's literally like 2 people who are happy, and that's because they love the prospects.

The rest of us are massively disappointed with the team as it stands.

Not talking about us or anyone who posts on a forum like this regularly. Talking more about your casual run of the mill Detroit sports fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad