GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I wouldn't put it quite like that, but it's definitely a factor. Detroit barely making the playoffs lately and let's be honest has a pretty awful image to outsiders doesn't help. It's a vicious circle, can't attract top players anymore, barely make the playoffs next season. Rinse and repeat. Have to hope we can develop from within and be a top team soon.

The kids need to carry the team on a good playoff run. Then things turn around. Simple as that.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
At this point its the best move. Both of them are ready to play a role in Detroit.

It's not like Defensemen take awhile to mature in the NHL, and Detroit already has a weak defense.

Throwing the Kids into this defense is pretty much throwing them under the bus.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Would've totally taken Moulson at 5x5.

Buffalo is looking like a more desirable landing spot for free aemgents than Detroit. Must be the city. :sarcasm:

On a more serious note, it's clear that players think Buffalo is the next Chicago/Pittsburgh.

I'm from western NY. Buffalo is pretty dumpy haha.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie · 1m
Tlusty signs in CAR. One year deal $2.95M.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie · 1m
Iginla gets $5.5M, $5.5M and $5M in each of three years with COL.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
We've lost the Swede factor!

Speaking of Swedes, the Wings should try to trade for Loui Eriksson.

That's something to pay attention to. Boston has a bunch of forward positions to fill and literally no cap space to sign anyone. Their hand may be forced to make some less than stellar deals, especially with in-division rivals.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
I'm not blaming anyone, but if you can't blame the GM of the team for striking-out, who do you blame?Maybe these UFAs don't like the team or coaching staff that he put in place.

Wasn't there at least one really visible public spectacle where a player lambasted Holland/Detroit for lowballing players?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
The teams that the Wings are competing with in the East have all gotten worse. Boston has lost Iggy and they still may lose more due to their Cap; Ottawa has lost Spezza & Hemsky; Montreal has lost Gorges, Gionta, and Vanek; Washington signed Orpik to a ludicrous contract and they lost their #2C; the Leafs haven't addressed a single need and overpayed for another bottom 6 player. The only teams that could or have improved in the East are TB, I think they sign Niskanen or Stralman, Pittsburgh and NJ. Of those teams only TB is a threat imo.

We've lost Quincey but his minutes can be replaced by Smith and Smith's minutes can be replaced by Ouellet or Marchenko. As long as Kindl-Lashoff isn't a pairing next season we should be a better team.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Why does there have to be blame?
I think people are getting stuck in the assumption that there was something that Holland could have offered these players to sign (other than seriously inappropriate amounts of cash). I'm not so sure. Detroit has bad PR right now amongst hockey players. I imagine an extremely demanding coach + lackluster on ice performance isn't the easiest sell. If players are going to tolerate the former, they want to at least win.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That's something to pay attention to. Boston has a bunch of forward positions to fill and literally no cap space to sign anyone. Their hand may be forced to make some less than stellar deals, especially with in-division rivals.

That was exactly my thinking. They are pushed against the cap hard.

Eriksson didn't appear to fit their roster, either, much to my surprise. He's basically a 3rd liner on their team getting 2nd line money.

I know people want to improve the D, and of course that needs to happen somehow, but it shouldn't exclude looking for top 6 help.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Kenny is turning into the Ovi of GMs. He's still a star, but people are finally starting to make a stink about the holes in his game.

He's striking out left and right at pitching our program to free agents and gets hosed in trades but hey! He's a solid drafter who'll score 30 goals every year, er, I mean get you into the playoffs every year.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
That is confirmed RT @erlendssonTBO Swedish outlet reporting #tblightning have signed Anton Stralman, 5 years at $4 million per

There goes that option...

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Leo Komarov - 27 years old. 5'10", 185 lbs.
1 year NHL experience:
42 games- 4 goals, 5 assists. -1 rating.

He just got 4 years 12M!

is anyone else wondering what the heck Toronto is thinking. I thought Clarkson was Mr Intangible. Now Robidas and Komarov, who are nothing more than intangibles at this point... 6 M more.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well, we've officially struck out on all the options I like.

Let's shoot for this with vets+kids

L-L
L-R
L-R

PP

L-R
L-R

So let's just for it with this

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Marchenko
Ericsson-Sproul

PP
Kronwall-Sproul
Smith-Marchenko

Address the handedness issue, and play the kids.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Kenny is turning into the Ovi of GMs. He's still a star, but people are finally starting to make a stink about the holes in his game.

He's striking out left and right at pitching our program to free agents and gets hosed in trades but hey! He's a solid drafter who'll score 30 goals every year, er, I mean get you into the playoffs every year

Besides Dats and Z who is he going to pitch to regarding our roster? Where's his selling point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad