GDT: Free Agent Frenzy @ 10 am MT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Always liked his game. But at that price… it’s a lot of cap to commit. We’d have to move other players out to accommodate. Don’t think it’s worth the squeeze. Also, at his size there’s always a risk he gets completely erased come playoffs time and that’s a risk we can’t take.

Agreed. We already have Yamo and he seems disappear a bit in the playoffs. Look at his playoff numbers and who he plays with, it is pretty disappointing with what Yamo gives us in terms of production.

Worried Garland would be a similar case. Too expensive and would steer clear.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Can we fit Mark Pysyk at 1 year, 1 million?

Doable?

Feel like it's a bit too tight with what we're cooking but I do think there's a role for him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Agreed. We already have Yamo and he seems disappear a bit in the playoffs. Look at his playoff numbers and who he plays with, it is pretty disappointing with what Yamo gives us in terms of production.

Worried Garland would be a similar case. Too expensive and would steer clear.
Yeh if we are going to with a ready-made, “proven”, and thus expensive guy. He should have a history of playoffs production that can be counted on.

Now if he was cheap, that’s a different story and worth a dice roll.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
He kinda admits his model is f***ed in his first reply to his own tweet lol

His garbage model predicted the Kraken would win the division last year too. To be fair the top 4 in the Pacific have almost no difference at all in “points”

But if the model is that flawed…

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
His garbage model predicted the Kraken would win the division last year too. To be fair the top 4 in the Pacific have almost no difference at all in “points”

He has LA going backwards from last year after they clearly improved their roster.

Calgary was somehow so good last year that they lost 115 points on their roster and still are projected for the division lead.

His model is f***ed.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I thought Seattle would be better than they were. I didn’t think they would be a playoff team though but wasn’t expecting them to be the worst team in the west. Coaching matters though. That team is going no where with Hakstol as the coach. I think its one of the big faults in these types of models.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I thought Seattle would be better than they were. I didn’t think they would be a playoff team though but wasn’t expecting them to be the worst team in the west. Coaching matters though. That team is going no where with Hakstol as the coach. I think its one of the big faults in these types of models.

I was concerned after their disastrous draft and figured they might have enough depth to be a bubble team, but wasn’t sure where their offence would come from (and that turned out to be a big problem)

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Agree with pretty much all your takes. On the defence, I’m Very happy the Oilers went with the D-man that could skate and defend with good sticks over d-men that defended most of their NHL lives with ignored cross checks that became mostly obsolete last year. For once the Oilers made a move that trends well with where the League is heading.
Absolutely agree. AVs won with Makar, Toews and Byram being the stand-out defensemen. Non of them are physical, but all of them are exceptionally good at ice hockey. Everyone else were replaceable in that Dcore.

That is the direction hockey is headed. Physicality and size are the most overvalued things. If the player is really good at hockey then size and physical presence is a big bonus. But if those things are your strenghts you probably aren't good at ice hockey at NHL level. I really can't believe how long it is taking for teams to understand. And it is okay to have that physical third pairing guy with limited skills who PKs and stuff, but you can find such players for 1-2mil.

But when you start paying ~4-5 mil to those guys it is just dumb. And there are physical guys who also suppress shots very well. They are worth the money. But guys like Gudbranson and Chiarot haven't shown that kind of ability.

Last edited:

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
That Trochek contract is gonna be one of the worst in the league within the next 3 years
But at least he should be upgrade over Strome for a while. Typical long FA deal. Okay/decent at first, but most likely ends as a disaster.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Absolutely agree. AVs won with Makar, Toews and Byram being the stand-out defensemen. Non of them are physical, but all of them are exceptionally good at ice hockey. Everyone else were replaceable in that Dcore.

That is the direction hockey is headed. Physicality and size are the most overvalued things. If the player is really good at hockey then size and physical presence is a big bonus. But if those things are your strenghts you probably aren't good at ice hockey at NHL level. I really can't believe how long it is taking for teams to understand. And it is okay to have that physical third pairing guy with limited skills who PKs and stuff, but you can find such players for 1-2mil.

But when you start paying ~4-5 mil to those guys it is just dumb. And there are physical guys who also suppress shots such very well. They are worth the money. But guys like Gudbranson and Chiarot haven't shown that kind of ability.
Yeh, watching Keith even at his non-Norris state you can see that there’s a style of quick, mobile, defence that if it works can become elite enough to win you a Norris. Makar being today’s prime example. Obviously we don’t have a d-man on that level, but we can atleast emulate that style. Kulak is the step in that direction. The chariots, gudbranson, and Zadorovs of the League are a step in the opposite direction.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The odds of Chucky abandoning the Flames after this season we’re 100% even before Johnny humiliated the Flames organization today. Those odds have now gone up.

Reactions: oilers'72

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The odds of Chucky abandoning the Flames after this season we’re 100% even before Johnny humiliated the Flames organization today. Those odds have now gone up.
The best part is they’re not bad enough to tank for Bedard this year.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Wonder if there’s a way to pry Garland out of Vancouver. Talented forward that could add to our top 9….makes a shade under $5m per yr and has 4 or 5 yrs remaining on the contract.
Canucks signed Michayev from the Leafs today and will likely need to move out a forward for cap reasons. Their needs are cap space and defence. 3rd round pick and Samurov?
Would it be worth a shot?
As much as I'd love to have Garland, till we get some deals that allow us to purge some cap, I think we can only focus on D and adding the odd value contract.

Also Capfriendly isn't accounting for their LTIR amounts right now on the main page, so once Michael Ferland's $3.5M is removed from their cap and their other IR players are added back to the main roster, things don't look so dire for them.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Yeh, watching Keith even at his non-Norris state you can see that there’s a style of quick, mobile, defence that if it works can become elite enough to win you a Norris. Makar being today’s prime example. Obviously we don’t have a d-man on that level, but we can atleast emulate that style. Kulak is the step in that direction. The chariots, gudbranson, and Zadorovs of the League are a step in the opposite direction.
I would have sort of disagree with Keith here. He definetely wasn't fast anymore. Colorado's dominance was based on limiting the time opponents spend in their zone (best way to defend). Relentlessly forecheck, if it doesn't work forwards need to back/side pressure in the neutral zone so Dmen can keep a tight gap which forces a turnover or a dump in. And you get a possession back without even allowing a shot attempt.

Keith was worst Oiler (and in the whole league) Dmen at entry defense in the playoffs. I need to listen the podcast again to remember exact numbers. But I think Keith didn't trust his skating anymore to hold a tight gap.

Keith really was just a shadow of what he used to be. But he still showed nice vision especially on the offensive zone distributing the puck.

Kulak will be downgrade in the offensive zone, but he is elite at entry defense (forcing turnovers/dump ins) and really sound in in-zone defending too. Whether Kulak plays with Barrie or Bouchard be will make their life a lot easier because when Kulak is on the ice Oilers don't spend that much time defending in their own zone. And that is were Barrie and Bouchard struggle.

No surprise that Barrie looked a lot better after trade deadline. So in the big picture giving Keith's top4 minutes to Kulak will most likely improve Oilers because they have the possession of the puck more.

Agree with the rest. And in his prime he of course was elite all around D.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I would have sort of disagree with Keith here. He definetely wasn't fast. Colorado's dominance was based on limiting the time opponents spend in their zone (best way to defend). Relentlessly forecheck, if it doesn't work forwards need to back/side pressure in the neutral zone so Dmen can keep a tight gap which forces a turnover or a dump in. And you get a possession back without even allowing a shot attempt.

Keith was worst Oiler (and in the whole league) Dmen at entry defense in the playoffs. I need to listen the podcast again to remember exact numbers. But I think Keith didn't trust his skating anymore to hold a tight gap.

Keith really was just a shadow of what he used to be. But he still showed nice vision especially on the offensive zone distributing the puck.

Kulak will be downgrade in the offensive zone, but he is elite at entry defense (forcing turnovers/dump ins) and really sound in in-zone defending too. Whether Kulak plays with Barrie or Bouchard be will make their life a lot easier because when Kulak is on the ice Oilers don't spend that much time defending in their own zone. And that is were Barrie and Bouchard struggle.

No surprise that Barrie looked a lot better after trade deadline. So in the big picture giving Keith's top4 minutes to Kulak will most likely improve Oilers because they have the possession of the puck more.

Agree with the rest.

He lost a step. I was referring to his prime in my comment. But even on the Oilers you could see the STYLE of dart in, dart out, predictive, IQ Powered type defence that made him an all star. But for that to be at its best, his quickness needs to be there and not faded. I still don’t think he was slow here but for style to be it’s best it relies on quickness that he didn’t have anymore.

For me, I’d say some of his decision making hurt him more so than entry defence, although his gap was an issue as well. Bad pinching and a bit too risky trying to make a difference with his outlets. I know what Jfreshs war charts say, i think that over blows it. No way he’s a bottom 5% d-man in this league in any category even at his soon to be retired state. Didn’t a jfresh model also predict a Kraken division win last year and flames tying the Oilers going into this year?

Kulak will help. Huge fan of his game. I think there’s more to his game too which im excited to see. By reputation they say he’s not an ideal 4LHD. But by eye test, I think he can do the job and do it well.

Reactions: McCombo

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
If our top 4 is

Nurse--Ceci
Kulak--Bouchard

Maybe its time to rip the bandaid off and trade Barrie for picks and use his money to ...

Rodrigues
Milano
Pysyk

Besides this year 2 or 3 of our farm D will be in and out of 3LD.... do you want Barrie for their partner?

Reactions: The Safe Play
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad