GDT: Free Agent Frenzy @ 10 am MT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
He lost a step. I was referring to his prime in my comment. But even on the Oilers you could see the STYLE of dart in, dart out, predictive, IQ Powered type defence that made him an all star. But for that to be at its best, his quickness needs to be there and not faded. I still don’t think he was slow here but for style to be it’s best it relies on quickness that he didn’t have anymore.

For me, I’d say some of his decision making hurt him more so than entry defence, although his gap was an issue as well. Bad pinching and a bit too risky trying to make a difference with his outlets. I know what Jfreshs war charts say, i think that over blows it. No way he’s a bottom 5% d-man in this league in any category even at his soon to be retired state. Didn’t a jfresh model also predict a Kraken division win last year and flames tying the Oilers going into this year?

Kulak will help. Huge fan of his game. I think there’s more to his game too which im excited to see. By reputation they say he’s not an ideal 4LHD. But by eye test, I think he can do the job and do it well.
I don't think those WAR% take role into consideration, so of course some top4 look worse than some bottom pairing guys. And his last season with the Blackhawks was worse than the year with the Oilers so it drops it ever further. Serviceable 3rd pairing guy in a good team would have been correct role imo. And the trade needed to have retention.

Predictions are always hard. Kraken was probably overvalued by every model, but it is pointless to look back because they had no goaltending what so ever. And it was projected to be one of their strenghts. With average goaltending they would have had close to 35 goals better +/-. With above average goaltending even more.

I think we need to look at final rosters and then see what the model says. I don't think any model is absolute truth, but I value them much more than random fans opinion which is based in limited eye-test sample size.

And there is better models than Jfreshes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad