Speculation: Free Agency thread (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If Duchene gets 10mil and Domi gets 70-80pts he will ask for 10mil too.

But in the end Domi will probably ask for 10mil regardless if he has a big year like Duchene did. So you will need to retain him plus find the player you are still missing because you didn't get Duchene. Who will end up costing 10mil probably.
If that should happen...then Habs will be forced to probably trade Domi, or Danault or Tatar or Petry, etc.

And get a pretty good return.

In a cap world, there's no such thing as attachment to players, sometimes you're forced to move players you'd rather not move but if you play your cards right, you can maximise the return and create value elsewhere.

It's a puzzle, the best GM's make it work. Any player you acquire has a domino effect on the rest of your roster.

This is of course all under the premise that Duchene signs for 9-10M

Reactions: Archijerej

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
It’s amazing what a year makes. Who would have thought 12 months ago that we would be upset that this team was trying to sign the top centre available. A first line centre on most teams.
And also concerned that the rest of our centres will be just as good and they will want similar money.
This is a pretty darn good thing to be concerned about.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
@Runner77 can you oblige :sarcasm:

upload_2019-6-28_6-21-2.jpeg

:sarcasm:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
As much as I like Marner I don't think he's lights out better than Duchene.

Possible. If Marner ain't this 90+ player...then ya. I think Duchene is more of a 55pts guy as he has been through most of his career. He only hit 70pts twice...He's not someone who can drive your offense.

That said, the Leafs don't need more forwards, even if they lose Marner. They still have Kadri, Tavares, Matthews, Kapanen, Nylander...So if they're thinking of passing on Marner, they should trade him for a legit top Dman to a team willing to sign him.

Signing Duchene and getting 4 first picks isn't actually improving their roster, it's worsening it.

Reactions: 417

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
If we get Duchene, Danault has to go.

Duchene
Kotka
Poehling
Thompson

Absolutely no room for Danault anymore. Trade Drouin as well.

Yikes. If you get Duchene, Danault should be what he should have been from day 1, number 2 C.

Kotka may not be ready to be a #2C for 82 games. Poehling played 1 game, and while i love him, you cant go into the season with him as your full time number 3. No guarantees he succeeds. Poehling should play wing this year if he makes it.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
If you get Duchene, the center ice is clogged by the following:

Duchene, Domi, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Poehling and Suzuki.

With decent wingers right now, I think Danault becomes the most likely to be traded for a defensemen.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I really am not interested in Duchene...not sure why people like him so much.
Clear public issues in Colorado. Uber incident in Ottawa. Inconsistent player. Frustrating a la Drouin when he isn't on his game.
Pass.

Now..as I said before, if we sign him to then package Drouin for a Dman, I'm good with that.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

With decent wingers right now, I think Danault becomes the most likely to be traded for a defensemen.

I don't think so.
I think it pushes Domi on the wing, which is inevitable down the line anyway.
Then i think the odd man out to begin is either Drouin or Tatar.

In the end Danault's job will be on the line when Poehling will be fully ready which should not be really long now.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I don't think so.

In the end Danault's job will be on the line when Poehling will be fully ready which should not be really long now.
You are probably right, but I have such a hard time especially if I was the coach with moving a guy who in his first year as a hab, first year as a center, doing it on the first line scores 70 points. Nobody should be so quick to want to bump him to wing.

Reactions: Guilliam

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You are probably right, but I have such a hard time especially if I was the coach with moving a guy who in his first year as a hab, first year as a center, doing it on the first line scores 70 points. Nobody should be so quick to want to bump him to wing.

Well……..that's IF Duchene sign here, which i don't believe.
But in the end, Domi, KK, Danault, Poehling and Suzuki can't all be center at the same time, so something has to give.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
This would be my dream. But then Domi is going to ask for the same contract as Duchene and I don't know if you can make it work having 3 guys making above 10mil, that's almost half the cap on like 3 players plus Weber.

But imagine a forward core of Duchene, Domi, Gallagher, KK, Suzuki, Caulfield and guys like Danault, Poehling...

I don't think MB will address the holes on defense this summer. It's not going to be a long term or major acquisition. So give me Duchesne !

If Domi watches Duchene put up 75 points as first line center for the Preds while making 10m, and does the same for the Habs, then he’ll want the same money.

OTOH, if he’s on wing, and rotating with Tatar and Drouin, then he’s more likely to sign in the 6 - 7 range.

There’s also the RFA factor.

In other words, I just don’t see them both getting 10m on this team.

Reactions: Vachon23

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

Domi and Suzuki aren't clogging anything. One's not a proper center and the other's not even an NHL player.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I don't think so.

Exactly this.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I really am not interested in Duchene...not sure why people like him so much.
Clear public issues in Colorado. Uber incident in Ottawa. Inconsistent player. Frustrating a la Drouin when he isn't on his game.
Pass.

Now..as I said before, if we sign him to then package Drouin for a Dman, I'm good with that.
That's the thing...signing Duchene will have a domino effect somewhere else on the roster.

That's fine if that's what they want to do and he wants to sign - but these moves have to be strategic in nature, not just reactionnary.

In the event Duchene signs - contingency plans should already be in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad