Speculation: Free Agency thread (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Duchene playing with Max could be dynamite

Duchene is pretty good, as are Domi and Gallagher.

I'm sure there's plenty combinations to make in there. I wouldn't be shocked if they threw Shaw on that line for the grinder aspect and kept Gallagher with Tatar and Danault. It just becomes what to do with Drouin, Byron, Lehkonen and Armia. 3rd line? 4th line? who knows. Seems like overkill to have 2 of Lehkonen/Armia/Byron on 4th line.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It’s not your money man. Stop worrying about what the habs will dish out. Molson and Bergevin have a job to win NOW and the future
You spend 10 million on Duchene then you HAVE to spend 10 million on Domi if he repeats. Money is going to be a big problem in the future if you give Duchene 10 million. I'll pass on a 60 point player. I despise Drouin but he scores 50 points at half the price. Of course Duchene is the better player, but not worth $10 million AT ALL. If he wants to take a cheaper offer and sign with us just like Tavares did with the Leafs last year, then I'm all for it.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You spend 10 million on Duchene then you HAVE to spend 10 million on Domi if he repeats. Money is going to be a big problem in the future if you give Duchene 10 million. I'll pass on a 60 point player. I despise Drouin but he scores 50 points at half the price. Of course Duchene is the better player, but not worth $10 million AT ALL. If he wants to take a cheaper offer and sign with us just like Tavares did with the Leafs last year, then I'm all for it.

What makes him a 60 point player? He's a slow starter with new teams. If you remove the first 10 games when he joins a new team he's actually very good over last few years. If you don't, he has 81 points in 83 games last, 36 goals included. Not really a minor talent.

Doesn't mean I like 10 mil either though but Duchene has been good for years. Domi had 1 good year. The notion that he'll get 10 seems ridiculous. I'd trade Domi if he asked for 10, as an RFA, after 1-2 decent seasons.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I’ll say it one more time
Alzner and his 4.75 will be off the books next year
There’s always a compliance buyout
Byron and Shaw can easily be traded.
That’s 12 million Somehow Tbay and Toronto shed salary. Why Can’t the habs?
Domi will not make 10 million. Not even close

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
What makes him a 60 point player? He's a slow starter with new teams. If you remove the first 10 games when he joins a new team he's actually very good over last few years. If you don't, he has 81 points in 83 games last, 36 goals included. Not really a minor talent.

Doesn't mean I like 10 mil either though but Duchene has been good for years. Domi had 1 good year. The notion that he'll get 10 seems ridiculous. I'd trade Domi if he asked for 10, as an RFA, after 1-2 decent seasons.
The fact that he averaged around 55-65 points a year for the past 5 years. Domi is much younger and played with Lehkonen, Drouin and Shaw. Duchene played with Stone, Chabot, Jones, Werenski, Panarin, Atkinson. He had a tremendous supporting cast which won't be the case in Montreal. Domi already had over 70 points on this team.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Duchene is pretty good, as are Domi and Gallagher.

I'm sure there's plenty combinations to make in there. I wouldn't be shocked if they threw Shaw on that line for the grinder aspect and kept Gallagher with Tatar and Danault. It just becomes what to do with Drouin, Byron, Lehkonen and Armia. 3rd line? 4th line? who knows. Seems like overkill to have 2 of Lehkonen/Armia/Byron on 4th line.
It’s called trades. Bergevin will know by tomorrow if Duchene is signing. Brisson is his buddy
If he says yes, you’ll see a flurry of trades

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't buy Duchene being a #1 center worth 9+. He's been very inconsistent and last year was a fluke as he shot 21%. Also have to factor in his age being 29.

Well he's 28.

Also, his goal pace over 82 games over his entire career is 26 goals. That's hardly something to sneeze at as a career average from the center position. He's a 62 point center over 82 games on average...over his career.

Let's not forget many of those teams were bottom feeders too. Still, do I think he's worth 10? f*** no. I think he's worth 8.5 as a UFA. Maybe 9 if a team is nice.

But am I going to worry about 1-1.5 mil? No. I'd rather get him at 8.5-9 max though.

Our bigger issue is a guy like Alzner. Last year alone we had Alzner and Schlemko/Weise taking up millions. That's a bigger problem than paying an actual stud player money.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
If Duchene gets 10mil and Domi gets 70-80pts he will ask for 10mil too.

But in the end Domi will probably ask for 10mil regardless if he has a big year like Duchene did. So you will need to retain him plus find the player you are still missing because you didn't get Duchene. Who will end up costing 10mil probably.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
If Duchene gets 10mil and Domi gets 70-80pts he will ask for 10mil too.

But in the end Domi will probably ask for 10mil regardless if he has a big year like Duchene did. So you will need to retain him plus find the player you are still missing because you didn't get Duchene. Who will end up costing 10mil probably.
Domi will not get paid like Marner and Mathews
He can ask for anything he wants. Good luck getting it

Reactions: Ozmodiar

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
We can most likely trade out guys like Drouin, Shaw, Byron and Tatar to free up cap space. They all have trade value and shouldn't be a problem unloading given the players in free agency people are going crazy over. The habs can sign Duchene to 10ish per year and still be fine going forward.

Reactions: 417

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
It’s not your money man. Stop worrying about what the habs will dish out. Molson and Bergevin have a job to win NOW and the future

This is the type of posts you used to see more of back when they introduced salary caps for the first time. But it's been years now, it's weird that you don't understand how it works still. Well, maybe you do... but if so is the above simply a worthless appeal to authority argument trying to squash all debates on a hockey message board ? I don't get it. You do understand that on a message board like this you have a bunch of people who love to play armchair GM and analyze, comment the decisions of the GM ? To give their take on what they would do in his shoes ? If we can't have these discussions anymore because it's Molson's and Bergevin's jobs to do it for real then shut the boards down.

Like the argument it's Molson's money would make sense if you were speaking about Xavier Ouellet's 1-way deal for 700K to play in Laval. That doesn't count on the cap and it's indeed just Molson's money. But for major UFA moves..... Like I said I don't get it. Weird post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickles

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
If we sign Duchene, I would try something like this:

Domi Duchene Gallagher

Tatar Danault Shaw

Drouin KK Lehkonen

Byron Thompson Armia

Status