Post-Game Talk: Free Agency 2023 "OH NO FOMO season"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
ROR I understand as the forward group probably needed that veteran presence. Schenn.. I don't know. Our D isn't that young as it is and I'd rather see Livingstone get those minutes.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I think GMBT has to balance needing to build a winner with needing to fill the building. As frustrating as Poile was, see post above, he needed to make sure there were butts in the seats. Particularly corporate butts. Those seats pay the bills.
I won't pretend to know the inner workings of our finances, but paying ROR and Schenn 7M a year is 7M more in revenue we need to make. A cheaper team makes it easier to eat a 2-3 year dip in performance. I also think some creative marketing (more live music, more concession specials, more "block parties" can bring in a heavier tourist mix and other ticket streams instead of relying solely on on-ice success.

Easy for me to say, who knows what Trotz is being told his goals are.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
What is the next set of moves to accommodate just these two? Something has to give at RHD and at center.
Novak to wing seems to be what everyone thinks. That makes ROR, Parsnips, Glass and Sissons up the middle.

Sure seems like a Dman is moving out. Just a question of who. I'm wondering if maybe Trotz doesn't like someones attitude(Fabbro or Carrier)

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Novak to wing seems to be what everyone thinks. That makes ROR, Parsnips, Glass and Sissons up the middle.

Sure seems like a Dman is moving out. Just a question of who. I'm wondering if maybe Trotz doesn't like someones attitude(Fabbro or Carrier)
Fabbro did live with Johansen for awhile. ;)

For those of you trying to access Twitter, it works from a desktop. Just not your phone. Great job, Elon!

Reactions: Kat Predator

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If we had to pay Schenn 3x$2.75M, I wonder what Mayfield ends up going for? 5x$5M? I mean, at those numbers I get the "backup plan". Gudas just got 3x$4M, so I could see it.

TBH, I thought this UFA Frenzy was going to be a little more conservative than it seems so far.

EDIT: Buffalo paid even higher AAV for Connor Clifton and Erik Johnson, so yeah, I think it's likely the price just went over our heads for Mayfield. :oops: Within the emerging context, the deal for Schenn looks better than it did when it was the first thing on the board.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think both moves are fine. Cap numbers don't mean much right now so the money is whatever. Term is probably 1 year longer than you want to see on both but that is probably how Trotz got them to sign so whatever. Schenn is still gone in 3 years and if RoR is still playing by that point he only has a year left and the cap hit isn't bad.

We didn't qualify Foote so that bench guy was gone and obviously Boro retired. Could be a case of forcing Carrier, Fabbro, Schenn and Lauzon to compete to see who gets to sit in the press box.

RoR means Sissons doesn't need to eat all of the defensive responsibility and faceoffs. Gives a solid two way guy with some leadership capabilities. It means you can move Novak to wing or he can be a fill in at center if there is an injury.

Edit:
Ok the Nyquist move I don't really get. Now we are getting into blocking guys territory but the term is short so that's a plus.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Totally bought out Duchene to clear room for young guys, 100% honest press release 😉

Reactions: Enoch

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Glad I am not the only who cusses whenever a Twitter feed is posted and all I get is the black screen. Why they can't figure it out and open the link in my app versus another webpage is beyond me.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
To be fair, noone we brought in should be taking duchenes spot. Nyquil should be a 3rd liner. ROR is a center and Schenn is defense.
Well, we have no idea where anyone will slot. And O'Reilly and Nyquist take up 2 forward spots regardless. I don't even care, hopefully it just bumps Jankowski and McCarron to the AHL, where they belong. I just think it's amusing how they blatantly lie in press releases like that. All you have to do is say, we bought him out.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
ok so now we are looking at

Forbserg-RoR-Evangelista
Novak?? -Parsinnen-Tomasino
Nyquist-Glass-trenin
Jank-sissons-sherwood??
Honestly not too bad. Not world beaters but not bad

Well, we have no idea where anyone will slot. And O'Reilly and Nyquist take up 2 forward spots regardless. I don't even care, hopefully it just bumps Jankowski and McCarron to the AHL, where they belong. I just think it's amusing how they blatantly lie in press releases like that. All you have to do is say, we bought him out.
They shouldve been more upfront about the moves. "We want to build a certain culture and these moves are being taken to achieve that."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad