Post-Game Talk: Free Agency 2023 "OH NO FOMO season"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Re-activated my account just to voice how befuddled I am. None of this makes sense. I don't mind bringing in guys like that, but giving them term til they are 36 goes directly against the talk of the "three year window". Would much rather see Fischer, Geekie, Patrick, etc to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks while getting a better pick.

If it's a re-tool, the Duchene and Johansen moves are bizarre.
I don't think it's bizarre if you look at it from the perspective of Duchene and Joey being crap leaders, which is the narrative right now.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Blake Wheeler went for 1 year.

OTOH, Toronto signed 36 yo Ryan Reeves to a 3 year deal. :huh:

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I don't think it's bizarre if you look at it from the perspective of Duchene and Joey being crap leaders, which is the narrative right now.
Hard to view it any other way. Establishing a new culture.

I am disappointed because it looks like we aren't going for for a true rebuild, choosing the "mushy middle" instead. I was hoping the trade/buyout were signs of a willingness to go with a youth movement but it doesn't appear that's the case.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Re-activated my account just to voice how befuddled I am. None of this makes sense. I don't mind bringing in guys like that, but giving them term til they are 36 goes directly against the talk of the "three year window". Would much rather see Fischer, Geekie, Patrick, etc to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks while getting a better pick.

Not if you believe that part of the problem with this team was the "country club " attitudes, which is what Trotz has strongly implied. Reinventing the room basically.

And good to see you. First @token grinder now you! Stick around!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I mean, these are EXACTLY the moves I've been hearing Trotz say he wants to make for the last 2 months. And backed up by his transactions. So I don't understand the befuddlement. This is exactly the direction he has been advertising.

My only mild surprise is the actual names, I had a few other guys I thought might have a more direct past relationship with Trotz. And the term and $$$ it took to get those guys.

But to me, this is not bizarre in the least. This is exactly the direction Trotz always said he was going. I like it. (Aside from some mild trepidation about the age/term factor).

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand

I am disappointed because it looks like we aren't going for for a true rebuild, choosing the "mushy middle" instead. I was hoping the trade/buyout were signs of a willingness to go with a youth movement but it doesn't appear that's the case.
I think GMBT has to balance needing to build a winner with needing to fill the building. As frustrating as Poile was, see post above, he needed to make sure there were butts in the seats. Particularly corporate butts. Those seats pay the bills.

Reactions: hido and PredsV82

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

As long as there are no more signings I'm OK with it. We are still gonna have room for a lot of young guys.

If you go with nothing but youth and they end up not meshing and we are just horrible, that can stunt their development too. That's how you end up with 7 to 10 year rebuilds like Detroit and Chicago

Nice! Liking these moves so far.
Is Ryan Cal's brother?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
In UFA for a rebuilding team you need to overpay with $ or with term. Schenn was $, O'Reilly was term.

O'Reilly is the opposite of what our previous leadership group was. If guy isn't LTIRed in year 3 and 4, and is nothing but a 4th liner, guy will still bring it every night.

As long as there are no more signings I'm OK with it. We are still gonna have room for a lot of young guys.

If you go with nothing but youth and they end up not meshing and we are just horrible, that can stunt their development too. That's how you end up with 7 to 10 year rebuilds like Detroit and Chicago

Is Ryan Cal's brother?
Yes he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad