Speculation: Freddy Andersen is the best leafs tender since CUJO

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Of course not but not sure what you're not happy about with it comes to Belfour and the playoffs. He was with us at the tail end of his career but was still quite good - playoff SV% was .915 over 7 games the first year and .929 over 13 games the next year.

Flyers' extra effort spoils special game for Belfour

Hard to argue against your point ... but IIRC there were 2 bad angle goals in the series, one mentioned in this outstanding performance and was the series winner a bad angle as well?

I know there were 2 ...

Regardless, Belfour was by far the superior goaltender to Joseph, although Joseph had some nice moments with the Leafs before it soured.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Freddy not the the level of a Leaf Cujo or Belfour but they were more seasoned when they got here. Funny how some were ready to roast him on a stick in October eh ?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
My standard line is he's the best tender since Belfour. I take Belfour over Cujo, if only because our d coverage was abysmal during his tenure yet you all always knew he could bail us out. A more efficient, quiet presence in net, a master of angles, the old Belfour was a treat.

I'm also happy the Reimer stuff has finally stopped, it's just embarrassing to even mention him anymore, Andy so much more stable.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Freddy not the the level of a Leaf Cujo or Belfour but they were more seasoned when they got here. Funny how some were ready to roast him on a stick in October eh ?

It is pretty funny. Maybe it's just that I didn't get much sleep last night but for whatever reason, I'm finding this hilarious right about now. :laugh:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
And if Octobers actually mattered the Habs would be defending back to back champs :)

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I might have been the biggest Cujo fan ever growing up. But looking back, goaltenders were far more watered down back then and he wasn't anything amazing. He was acrobatic, though, sure.

Belfour was probably better, all things considered. And Andersen playing in Cujo's era would have probably been more dominant, but he's always been to me (an above average goalie with upside). He hasn't done anything to prove otherwise yet, particularly with his horrid Octobers and penchant to let in the occasional softie.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Hard to argue against your point ... but IIRC there were 2 bad angle goals in the series, one mentioned in this outstanding performance and was the series winner a bad angle as well?

I know there were 2 ...

Regardless, Belfour was by far the superior goaltender to Joseph, although Joseph had some nice moments with the Leafs before it soured.

OK I honestly don't remember those details and it doesn't really matter. Cujo was very good, Belfour was a notch above him (and good for us even though past his prime) but today, Freddie is the man. It's been a long time coming but we finally found our guy and I can see him being the guy for the next 10 years. I'm not predicting that's what will happen as goalies are notoriously hard to predict but I could see it happening, he has that aura of unflappability about him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Since Belfour.

But did anyone think otherwise? Raycroft, Toskala, Gustavsson, Giguere, Reimer, Bernier have been our starting goalies since Belfour. Then you have Aubin, Gerber, Pogge, etc

None of them come close to Andersen.

Reactions: deepz

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

I know there were 2 ...

I remember that game quite vividly.

I remember Darcy Tucker getting knocked out and not moving, and then eventually coming back and playing - clear concussion, and would never be allowed today lol

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Man these boards are like a female going through her menstral cycle.

I can't keep up!

Gettin my surf board ready for the inevitable wave of "trade freddy he sucks" threads/posts after his next bad game.

maxresdefault.jpg

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Belfour was really good.

Cujo did what he did behind one of the most porous D corps ever, man if you guys think what we have now is bad you would have freaked out in the late 90s early 2000s.

Reactions: BM14

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Since Belfour.

But did anyone think otherwise? Raycroft, Toskala, Gustavsson, Giguere, Reimer, Bernier have been our starting goalies since Belfour. Then you have Aubin, Gerber, Pogge, etc

None of them come close to Andersen.
You dare to diss the Gerber era.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
It'll be nice when he removes Raycroft from the Leafs history with the most wins in a season at some point. He could do it this season (he's easily pacing for it), but if not I would bet he will at some point during his current contract.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Man these boards are like a female going through her menstral cycle.

I can't keep up!

Gettin my surf board ready for the inevitable wave of "trade freddy he sucks" threads/posts after his next bad game.

maxresdefault.jpg
boy you hit the nail on the head.

Al it takes is a 3-game winning streak to declare Andersen the best goalie since Belfour.

But a 3-game losing streak means he's a bust and it's time to trade him.

Andersen is in the middle of a good stretch right now. (and yes, more than 3 games, granted).

But Raycroft, Toskala, Gustavson, Reimer, etc. all had good stretches too. And where are those guys now? That's right, they've all been run outta town.

Is there anyone on the forums with a long-term vision and not just a 3-game vision anymore?

Last edited:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Al it takes is a 3-game winning streak to declare Andersen the best goalie since Belfour.

Andersen is in the middle of a good stretch right now. (and yes, more than 3 games, granted).

But Raycroft, Toskala, Gustavson, Reimer, etc. all had good stretches too. And where are those guys now? That's right, they've all been run outta town.

Is there anyone on the forums with a long-term vision and not just a 3-game vision anymore?

I’m not sure what you’re suggesting. That Andersen is riding a hot streak? He’s been playing at a comparable level for 1.5 seasons now. Or is it that players eventually degrade? Right you are.

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
Time to give this man his due. with the win over the pens, he is now 50-24-15 as a leaf.
The leafs have gotten points in 73% of the games he has gotten a decision in, and put up a 106pt pace

by comparison, the backups have combined to go 9-13-1 since he has been a leaf.
they only get points in 39% of those games, and put up a 68pt pace

Let that sink in.
What about Eddie "The Eagle"

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
You mean he's the best since Eddie Belfour. ;)

Eddie ended up with a 2.51gaa/.912sv% as a leaf

Freddie sits at 2.65gaa/.920sv%

Belfour has a couple good seasons on stronger leafs teams than Andersen currently plays for, but his stinky 3rd year still lingers with me

Im probably higher on freddy than most (ie not roasting hom for his awful octobers) but gotta give the man credit. He joined the worst team in the league and has gone 51-26-15 since.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

I challenge you to find one post where I have ever said that. go on, ill wait.

put up otherwise you are just blowing smoke.

also when were raycroft,toskala,gustavsson ever good? they were all awful. rayvroft won like 37 games with a .894sv% giving up 4-5 goals a game down the stretch and cost us the playoffs. Tosakala was awful his entire tenure and gustavsson never came close to p[anning out. their hot stretches were for weeks, not a year and a half like andersen. in regards to reimer, he seemed to rotate good years with bad.

andersen 919sv%, 918sv%, 923sv%

a bit different no? dude has been pretty good for a few years

Blair

Oct 15, 2006
Edmonton, AB
I'll never forget how Eddie carried us past the Sens in that series. Just the way he was in Ottawa's heads - especially Alfredsson. His second shutout in game 3 was epic in part because the Leafs only got about 17 shots on goal that game (and just looking it up now it seems that's more shots than they managed during Eddie's 3rd shutout in game 5).

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Time to give this man his due. with the win over the pens, he is now 50-24-15 as a leaf.
The leafs have gotten points in 73% of the games he has gotten a decision in, and put up a 106pt pace

by comparison, the backups have combined to go 9-13-1 since he has been a leaf.
they only get points in 39% of those games, and put up a 68pt pace

Let that sink in.

Not to take anything away from Andy, but to be fair the backups exclusively play on the tail end of back to backs. That probably drags them down a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad