Speculation: Freddy Andersen is the best leafs tender since CUJO

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Reimer and Andersen both had 20 wins as rookies. Reimer has never gotten that again and Andersen has never not gotten it. Freddy is with .724 QS% this year is absolutely filthy. there really is no comparison here, even tongue in cheek
Reimer does lead in one category, 2 separate management groups gave up on him. Also, he was so awesome we managed to swing Ben Smith in the trade.

Last edited:

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
100x better than Reimer. If we had Andersen during the Bruins playoff series not only do we not collapse in game 7 but we probably make it to the finals

Reimer isn garbage. Borderline backup in Florida and people thought he was a starter here

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
100x better than Reimer. If we had Andersen during the Bruins playoff series not only do we not collapse in game 7 but we probably make it to the finals

Reimer isn garbage. Borderline backup in Florida and people thought he was a starter here
No we wouldnt make the finals but we likely win game 7 if we had Andersen.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
most backups only play on the tail end of the back to back
not all backups have losing records.

I just dont think McElhinney is very good, and his 2.94GAA..906SV% over his career backs that up.

Pickard is at a 2.77gaa/.914SV% and that include a year where he was on a historically bad avs team

And Mcelhinney has been better than .914 so what’s your complaint

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
NHL.com - Stats

Andersen with a .920 sv% as a Leaf. He is 7 among starting goalies in that time period (60+ games played). Interesting is it that Gibson is 2nd! Maybe the Ducks chose the right goalie after all. Andersen has done better than some really big goalie names.

Keep it up Freddy!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And Mcelhinney has been better than .914 so what’s your complaint

It’s whether or not Mcelhinney can maintain that level of consistency which is the question , he plays so infrequently it’s hard to tell really.

He has played well in his games so far, but I won’t be surprised if both the Marlies goalies end up better overall

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Riemer has been an absolute sieve this year in Florida by the way, and looks well behind 40 year old Luongo

Since Luongo went down to injury, Reimer has posted a .929sv% to help his team to a 5-3-1 record and they're finally starting to inch their way up the standings. Over his last 12 he's at .922 with a 6-3-3 record. up to a .908 sv% now on the year and we can expect it to keep rising as it always does when he gets regular starts.

btw, his "sieve"-like start, when he posted an .891sv% in his first 10gms of the year, was actually better than the .890sv% Andy put up in his first 10gms this year.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Reimer is a backup, and Florida seems to agree. He is a good backup though. Andersen is way better then Red light Reimer and its not debatable.
Funny how Reimer won the starters role only to lose it 2 games better. He just isnt good enough as a starter, and 31 teams agree as well as 2 of our management groups. Every goalie posts a good game now and then(even backups like Reimer)
If only Reimer would make a save in the last 10 minutes of game 7, then maybe we dont trade for another goalie.
Florida needs Loungo back. Reimer will get good for maybe a week and then regress like he always does. Florida could make the playoffs with Loungo in net but not Reimer.

Reactions: DarkKnight

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
We make the 2nd round with Andersen in net against the Bruins. We may have even won it in less then 7 games.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It’s whether or not Mcelhinney can maintain that level of consistency which is the question , he plays so infrequently it’s hard to tell really.

He has played well in his games so far, but I won’t be surprised if both the Marlies goalies end up better overall

This would be the same question for any backup goaltender we bring in, even if it's from the Marlies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Two separate Leafs management groups gave up on Reimer. Every single GM in the league could have picked him up to start, not one did. He's a very good backup. I bet there isn't one person who gets paid to cover hockey that would actually posit that Reimer is anywhere near Andersen (6th best in the league as of today). Only here must we endure the pure comedy, and that's what it is....

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
NHL.com - Stats

Andersen with a .920 sv% as a Leaf. He is 7 among starting goalies in that time period (60+ games played). Interesting is it that Gibson is 2nd! Maybe the Ducks chose the right goalie after all. Andersen has done better than some really big goalie names.

Keep it up Freddy!

I didn't believe this until I checked myself.

Over the last two seasons, limiting it to goalies who have played 3000min (roughly 50ish games), this is how Andersen compares to the rest of the top 10:

Andersen.png

1st in games played.
7th in Sv%, all situations.
2nd in HDSv%, all situations.
3rd in goals saved above average.
And he continues to outperform his expected save percentage by a considerable margin (4th).

I knew he had played well, but I didn't realize that well. If he could solve his horrendous starts to the season, and become more consistent against medium danger attempts, this is easily a top 5 goalie.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Still don't understand the fascination with bringing Reimer up at this point. Glad he's found a good spot to play.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Still don't understand the fascination with bringing Reimer up at this point. Glad he's found a good spot to play.

Right? I liked reims a lot. It was obvious Nonis did not. Nonis was wrong, like almost everything. I am just so happy we have Andy. I am above the moon we have him locked up at 5 mil. What a beast.. I don't think I would trade him straight up for gibson.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Agreed. It's weird that leaf fans can't seem to let go of their Reimer hate and keep bringing him up in every discussion of Andersen.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah I find it wierd how Leafs cantinue to compare a backup in Reimer to a legit starting goalie in Andersen.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
ALL LEAF FANS SHOULD KNOW THAT ED BELFOUR WAS A HALL OF FAME GOALIE THAT HAD VERY GOOD YEARS FOR THE LEAFS.

(i don't care if it was already stated)
(i am happy that Andersen is a leaf)

Reactions: Its not your fault

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Massively better? You mean when Andy was equalling a 930+ SV pct, Vezina Holtby? Stop.

correct. Andersen was bad in the playoffs, as was Holtby.

Reimer was awesome, and dragged us to game 7 all by himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad