Speculation: Freddy Andersen is the best leafs tender since CUJO

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
The Leafs were 12th-best in GA/GP.

It's an average defense and the goaltending is average as well.

Average only because that stat makes it look that way.

Would love to see the quality of shot (high danger) he faced. In no world are we average lol

It's like using the plus/minus stat, I don't buy it for a second.

Just take in to account the system, forwards 200 ft game, Dmen, and scoring quality, you know better than to believe that stat.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Average only because that stat makes it look that way.

Would love to see the quality of shot (high danger) he faced. In no world are we average lol

It's like using the plus/minus stat, I don't buy it for a second.

Just take in to account the system, forwards 200 ft game, Dmen, and scoring quality, you know better than to believe that stat.

Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

The Leafs were 21st in High Danger Scoring Chances Against. Still pretty average.

Reactions: DanM

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
The people critizing Andersen can post stat after stat. These Andersen lovers just won’t agree. No matter how many times you prove that he is an average goalie at best.

What is the solution then? Criticizing sure is easy.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011

Only solution is to put a better defense in front of him... he’s not going anywhere, but he has too be better. He’s either great or he stinks, he needs to find more consistency, especially in the playoffs.

I think he has 2 years left, if I’m not mistaken. We have goaltender of the year Sparks in AHL, Woll and Pickard. We need to bring these guys up as a backup to Andersen eventually.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

A partner for Rielly who can play like Hainsey did, but at a higher level, giving us a legit top pairing that can slot everyone else better. That would take us from average defensively to at least "good" or better.

But they don't go on trees and we can't just do whatever it takes to get one, since the price it would cost could easily set is back just as far.

If there was an easily solution we would have already done it. Going from good to great is difficult.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
There is no "key saves" stat. Andersen is lacking in this category.

He is a decent goalie who can play a lot and put together successful runs, sandwiched between some stretches where he looks absolutely lost.

He choked with a true contender, Anaheim, and he's choked twice with us.

I don't think he will actually be replaced next season, but I also don't think we will win with him.

In short: I disagree. Belfour is the best goalie the Leafs have had since Cujo.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I think Belfour was as good or better than CUJO and Andersen is close, but doesn't have the stamina, Babcock needs to give him more than just back to back games relief.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad