Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
The normal timing for management changes is the off-season. The only reason our timeline moved up is that RF made Dundon so mad he couldn't wait to remove him.

Because of what took place at the trade deadline?

Official word was that RF and TD were aligned on TDL strategy and final outcome.

However, the timing of his termination is very suspicious. TDL day Feb 26th, RF canned Mar 7th, official reports say decision to fire him was made ~5 day prior (Mar 2nd).

It's a fair theory that TD was unhappy with RF's decisions on TDL and it at least was part of the reason for his firing.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Official word was that RF and TD were aligned on TDL strategy and final outcome.

However, the timing of his termination is very suspicious. TDL day Feb 26th, RF canned Mar 7th, official reports say decision to fire him was made ~5 day prior (Mar 2nd).

It's a fair theory that TD was unhappy with RF's decisions on TDL and it at least was part of the reason for his firing.

If that timing is true it’s fair to wonder if the TD strategy was agreed upon at the time, but 5 days later they were inexplicably back i a playoff spot, with Staal back. TD looked at that and thought, shit we should have bought and this passive GM steered me in the wrong direction.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If that timing is true it’s fair to wonder if the TD strategy was agreed upon at the time, but 5 days later they were inexplicably back i a playoff spot, with Staal back. TD looked at that and thought, **** we should have bought and this passive GM steered me in the wrong direction.

In the highly unlikely event that that's the case, he should hire him back because the team has clearly showed since that time that buying would have been a massive mistake.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Not a great look, but I'd much rather he admit the mistake and look foolish, than hire the wrong guy and look foolish.

ETA: I'm also glad that they didn't just settle with the easy, comfortable choice in Vellucci

So... if you accept looking foolish from the get-go, you're pretty free to flail every which way.

fLail.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Only fans thought there should be deadline moves. The team didn’t think so, TD didn’t, the local media didn’t. From all sources possible it appears Td was in total agreement about no moves.

I’m not sure why any of us are still clinging to that theory. Other than those who for some reason are still annoyed we didn’t do anything.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Only fans thought there should be deadline moves. The team didn’t think so, TD didn’t, the local media didn’t. From all sources possible it appears Td was in total agreement about no moves.

I’m not sure why any of us are still clinging to that theory. Other than those who for some reason are still annoyed we didn’t do anything.

RF stands pat on TDL and TD decides to fire him that week.

I wasn't annoyed at the lack of moves...just think it's a fair theory for why he was fired...at least in part.

I recall you suggesting RF fell on his sword prior to the PR statements about the like-mind war-room.

Maybe those press releases and public comments about agreement were false and just PR damage control. If TD was pissed, is it gonna do anyone any good to be transparent...other than journalists that is.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Last edited by a moderator:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I wonder if it's a mixture of things making these GM's drop out.

- Scared away by Dundon being a bit too involved?

- They don't agree with Dundon's vision

- Don't like North Carolina

- Don't like the current mold of the team and may be too challenging of a job

- Not ready to commit to anything with the playoffs starting soon

- A lot of the candiates may be more intrigued by the upcoming Seattle hockey gig

Addendum:

-Don't like NC BBQ

-Don't like fried chicken

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I can't see how Velluci is an auto-failure as the GM. There's a lot to suggest that we should expect good things from him.

I think Vellucci would be fine. He's got both a track record with Plymouth and most recently with the youngsters here. Interesting how people also assume that a guy doesn't flourish with the shackles off, doesn't feel relieved to finally get his shot. That's how I think about Vellucci. Plus he's taken a squad littered with a bunch of youngsters and managed to keep them in contention for the better part of this season. He seems to have made the right moves all around.

There's a time and a role for search professionals to advise, manage, and, most importantly, help one just think it all through.

This looks amateurish...because it is.

Or maybe it is simply, the 1st phase of the search didn't yield the hoped for results.

There was a line attributed to Dundon, can't remember the exact phrase, but it was said when discussing moves earlier, a few weeks prior to the TDL. It was something like "it didn't go well". I've always felt that was the time frame that rubbed Dundon the wrong way, not the TDL.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
No. And if you're taking Kev-star's word for everything, you're going to be one very confused little boy.

I don't know if this is aimed at me, and I'm not sure I know what it means, regardless. Ron Francis and Tom Dundon we're a bad match from Day 1. I doubt that Francis got fired for any specific reason related to the team at all, and I doubt if he did anything -- or didn't do something -- that got him fired. He's no longer the Canes GM because his personality clashed with the new owner. The timing, however, is strange because most such moves happen at the end of the season (and usually the coach goes first if it's related to the success or failure of the team). Something must have happened to have Dundon believe he couldn't wait and he had to make this move while keeping Peters. Really has to be personal. I wouldn't be surprised if a meeting went poorly and Dundon realized Francis would never come around to his way of thinking. And even then, normally an owner would wait until the end of the season, which is why I think there was some kind of argument that led to the odd firing at an odd time.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
It doesn’t have to be personal and it’s not necessarily true that Dundon was angry at Francis. There was a rumor that Francis was going to resign, so it is plausible that Francis wanted to quit but was talked into moving into a different role. Dundon has been very gracious toward RF considering the fact that he has demoted him. If there were any animosity there from Dundon’s side, I think this would look quite different than it does.

I am not at all understanding this need to portray this as if Dundon was angry at RF.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
It doesn’t have to be personal and it’s not necessarily true that Dundon was angry at Francis. There was a rumor that Francis was going to resign, so it is plausible that Francis wanted to quit but was talked into moving into a different role. Dundon has been very gracious toward RF considering the fact that he has demoted him. If there were any animosity there from Dundon’s side, I think this would look quite different than it does.

I am not at all understanding this need to portray this as if Dundon was angry at RF.

The Francis wanting to quit thing makes no sense. The narrative we're being fed now is that the hockey world is upset because Ronnie was so invested in this team and he wanted to see his plan through. That doesn't sound like a guy who was quitting. Maybe he wasn't happy to have Dundon over his shoulder constantly, but the guy just paid $500 million for a hockey team. Some sacrifices have to be made, no?

I'm perfectly willing to accept another reasonable explanation for Ron's move into another position *had* to happen on March 7, and couldn't wait until the end of the season, aside from he and Dundon having a personal issue with each other. There is literally nothing for a GM to do from March 7 to April 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad