Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Now who's talking **** about pierre mcguire :)

Literally everybody except you. He's a TV personality who people think is incredibly hockey smart because he can spout random facts that researchers have dug up and prepped him for a broadcast. Considering he was one of the most despised coaches in this franchise's history....

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Obviously a lot of this has been brewing for a while. But anyone think Eric Staal helped Dundon make his decision on this last night haha?

Dundon watches game last night, Eric Staal scores 2. Dundon asks himself "Why the f*** is this guy still not on this team?"

He probably had his mind made up on this already, so the game last night didn't help him make a decision. It may have made it convenient to announce it, but I'm guessing he had made up his mind long before this game.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

feat_michaelscott_1.gif

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I thought that was the whole problem with Francis, being too patient?

If we've got co-coaches And still floundering in 3 years, I'll give you that. But let's see who is hired before believing a crazy old Candian hack reporter about the horrible new owner who is very interested in turning things around NOW.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I thought that was the whole problem with Francis, being too patient?

But that's a DIFFERENT type of patience. Kahuna patience, not Francis patience!

Obviously a lot of this has been brewing for a while. But anyone think Eric Staal helped Dundon make his decision on this last night haha?

Dundon watches game last night, Eric Staal scores 2. Dundon asks himself "Why the f*** is this guy still not on this team?"

Looking back at Ron Francis's GM resumé he's had a lot of blunders, and they've really added up to get us where we are now.

Major Blunders:
- Darling & Lack
- Not signing Eric Staal in the offseason for his $3.5M price
- Failing to bring in that much needed top 6 forward, which was preferable a C. Instead sat on his hands.

Meh stuff:
- Not doing anything at the trade deadline this year
- Kruger as 4th line C
- Never being proactive and firing Peters
- Having Hanifin jump straight into the NHL (Likely could of used another year of hockey)

Notable Good stuff:
- Drafting Aho
- TT + Bicks trade

Under the Major Blunders:

Darling - I'll admit, I disliked the move but he was considered to be one of the guys ready to move from being a backup to being able to handle himself as astarter.

Lack - Lots have been discussed about Lack but I think it's been pretty well established that Marcoux was responsible for screwing Lack up

E. Staal - Plenty of other teams didn't offer Staal that price and, again, after several seasons of diminishing performance and Staal's uninspiring performance in the playoffs for the Rangers it seemed like the popular wisdom was that Staal's career was finito.

Top 6 forward - Up until Dundon bought the team it could be argued he really didn't have the budget to get one.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

And here is where I mentioned in another thread that we are either headed down the path of the Mavericks after Cuban bought them in 2000 (Yearly playoff team that eventually won a championship) or the Sacramento Kings.

I can appreciate that he's buddies w/ Cuban and wants to emulate him, but Cuban had Basketball knowledge when he bought the Mavericks. Cuban also took control of a team that was completely dead in the water and had next to no interest in their own market(I guess we are too but still) This is either going to be a grand slam or a ground-out.

Guess we're going to find out soon enough :scared:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If we've got co-coaches And still floundering in 3 years, I'll give you that. But let's see who is hired before believing a crazy old Candian hack reporter about the horrible new owner who is very interested in turning things around NOW.

What I find amusing, is that you, and others over-react on pretty much everything on this board on a regular basis, but now you are preaching "be patient".

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Literally everybody except you. He's a TV personality who people think is incredibly hockey smart because he can spout random facts that researchers have dug up and prepped him for a broadcast. Considering he was one of the most despised coaches in this franchise's history....
But did you knew- when Crosby was 13, Nova Scotia's Minor Hockey Council refused to allow him to play midget, a level of minor hockey designated for 15- to 17-year-olds. His family sued but lost.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
But that's a DIFFERENT type of patience. Kahuna patience, not Francis patience!

Under the Major Blunders:

Darling - I'll admit, I disliked the move but he was considered to be one of the guys ready to move from being a backup to being able to handle himself as astarter.

Lack - Lots have been discussed about Lack but I think it's been pretty well established that Marcoux was responsible for screwing Lack up

E. Staal - Plenty of other teams didn't offer Staal that price and, again, after several seasons of diminishing performance and Staal's uninspiring performance in the playoffs for the Rangers it seemed like the popular wisdom was that Staal's career was finito.

Top 6 forward - Up until Dundon bought the team it could be argued he really didn't have the budget to get one.

Ron Francis probably said the same things and excuses to Dundon. That's a lot of failures.

He failed on all four of those no matter which way you look at it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If you think we have amazing depth in our organization thanks to GMRF, you're insane

Which guys are going to be Top 6 forwards currently not on the team ? Maybe Necas?

Gauthier, Roy, Zykov, Foegele, Janne, Wallmark.... there's no sure things there

We may have just a bunch of Victor Rasks.
Here's the thing, before Francis took over we had Staal, Skinner, and Lindholm. Under Francis we managed to add Aho, Teravainen, and Necas. Managed to get out from some terrible contracts and now have some serious dough to go out and go after free agents to fill the holes in this team in the short term to get the team over the hump.

Here's another way to look at it, look at Lombardi's tenure with the Kings. They were a similar rebuild where the team was shit, had no real upcoming stars aside from Kopitar (much like we have Aho) and it took 5 seasons from the time he took over for the team to really turn the corner. They were flat out bottom feeders until they landed Doughty in the draft. If anything their outcomes were even worse then the Canes under Francis, but the biggest difference is that they had an owner that gave Lombo the money to work with to be opportunistic, Francis never had that chance and took the team from bottom feeder when he took over from Francis to knocking on the door of the playoffs with no real star power to work with. I dunno, something just tells me that people are going to look at Francis's term as GM a hell of a lot better here in about 3-4 years assuming his replacement doesn't blow it all up.

No doubt that yes, we have a huge f***ing Eric Staal sized hole in the lineup right now, but people are absolutely crazy if they think that Eric would have been the same Eric he is in Minnesota had he come back here. It frankly took him getting spurned on a return offer and getting low-balled by literally every team that even made an offer to sign him to light a fire under his ass.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
What I find amusing, is that you, and others over-react on pretty much everything on this board on a regular basis, but now you are preaching "be patient".

Really? Francis seat has been vacant for 30 minutes and we are already the Cowboys/Jerry Jones of the NHL? Let's be patient....see who is hired. What happens with Peters? Who is signed/traded this summer, before labelling this as a meddling owner dead set on ruining the franchise.

Seriously. Francis was a miserable failure who had to go. Period. The franchise cant afford three more years of Francis patience.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I 100% am ok with RF at the deadline. Those prices were crazy, and you have no idea what the price it was to the canes vs the sharks. I agree completely with not doing it regardless. I’m still hearing stories about Kane while maybe generally maturing still being a difficult guy in the dressing room. Buffalo was glad to see him go.

This team has done little to show its worth giving up much needed futures for rentals. Rentals are a mistake for us. Kane would’ve been a stupid move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad