Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I am shocked I tell you, shocked. At first I thought Dundon was crazy for going straight for Francis, then rolled my eyes when I saw that he was keeping him in organization, but obviously it makes sense to keep things someone intact so that the draft and all goes smoothly. I just wonder, does Dundon like the building up of analytics and scouting resources that Francis has done but not managed player assets most effectively or is this the beginning of a slow clearing out of the Francis administration? Does he like some parts of the Francis philosophy but wants some other minds in there too or is this a turn towards the reactionary?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Have they said any candidates? I’m guessing Vellucci is probably too close to Francis to be considered

Nope. Just that the search will begin.

I have a bad feeling about this. Not that I think Francis did a great job, but having a guy that knows nothing about hockey installing a new GM who isn’t patient seems like a recipe for Pierre McGuire to come in here and burn the franchise to the ground.

Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I have a bad feeling about this. Not that I think Francis did a great job, but having a guy that knows nothing about hockey installing a new GM who isn’t patient seems like a recipe for Pierre McGuire to come in here and burn the franchise to the ground.

That's my concern. Well, nothing to do now but sit back, eat some popcorn and see what unfolds.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I am indifferent to this. It depends on who they hire.

I also don't think this means anything one way or the other about Peters' future. You certainly aren't going to fire a coach at this point in the season with the playoffs still mathematically in reach unless you've been planning on doing it for awhile and have a replacement lined up, and that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I'm guessing it went something like this: Francis showed Dundon all the detailed plans and projections he had and they had the team gradually becoming a contender. Dundon asked why it needed to take so long for us when other teams were able to get through quicker rebuilds. Francis said it was all in the plan. Dundon did not like that.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Whats with the Pierre Mcguire hate?

He's a big fan of the Detroit model from the 1990s / 2000s and says the good teams fine hidden talent late in drafts and the key is good scouting

Who could argue wih that?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I also don't think this means anything one way or the other about Peters' future. You certainly aren't going to fire a coach at this point in the season with the playoffs still mathematically in reach unless you've been planning on doing it for awhile and have a replacement lined up, and that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I don't think Peters is going anywhere this season. I just meant that as a new GM comes in, they may want to hire their own coach (for next season), much like Francis did.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If you think we have amazing depth in our organization thanks to GMRF, you're insane

Which guys are going to be Top 6 forwards currently not on the team ? Maybe Necas?

Gauthier, Roy, Zykov, Foegele, Janne, Wallmark.... there's no sure things there

We may have just a bunch of Victor Rasks.

The defensive depth is obvious, and you can say the same thing about uncertainty with virtually every team in the league.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It does concern me that Dundon claims that he's not going to claim to know more than Francis in hockey-related topics, then proceeds to say basically that a few weeks later. And having the new GM report directly to Dundon is iffy.

Is it worse to have an absentee owner or a very active one that might not know what he's doing?

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Obviously a lot of this has been brewing for a while. But anyone think Eric Staal helped Dundon make his decision on this last night haha?

Dundon watches game last night, Eric Staal scores 2. Dundon asks himself "Why the f*** is this guy still not on this team?"

Looking back at Ron Francis's GM resumé he's had a lot of blunders, and they've really added up to get us where we are now.

Major Blunders:
- Darling & Lack
- Not signing Eric Staal in the offseason for his $3.5M price
- Failing to bring in that much needed top 6 forward, which was preferable a C. Instead sat on his hands.

Meh stuff:
- Not doing anything at the trade deadline this year
- Kruger as 4th line C
- Never being proactive and firing Peters
- Having Hanifin jump straight into the NHL (Likely could of used another year of hockey)

Notable Good stuff:
- Drafting Aho
- TT + Bicks trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad