Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - Part 2

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
I cant find those videos, can you post links for it ?

I'm not sure if I can post direct links here, and I don't want to break and rules so I will refrain from that. But our YouTube channel is OOTPDevelopments and I'm positive we've covered in the Florida Panthers series. I can't remember which one exactly, but I do try and mention it in the descriptions when we do.

Just wanted to post my brief FHM story (still on FHM 3). Just finished the 2017-2018 playoffs, where my 110 point Oilers and the 112 point LA Kings were knocked out in the first round in seven games by Phoenix and Winnipeg respectively. 90 point Winnipeg went on to make the Final, where they went up against Pittsburgh, who finished first in the metro and went undefeated through the first three rounds of the playoffs. They then went up 3-0 on Winnipeg, at which point Winnipeg rolled off four straight to take the Cup. What a wild story that would be if it ever happened in real life.

As a Winnipeg fan, love it. Actually just got back from the game tonight. This team is impressive to watch. Statsny was a great pickup.

Reactions: pukovnik

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just about finished a 100 year sim (1950-2050) of my fictional CHL league. 28 teams, 4 divisions of 7 teams, 80 game seasons. Every team has won the Cup at least once by now. The London Knights (8), Saskatoon Reapers (8) and Kitchener Rangers (7) being the most successful franchises.

Have really only had 2 completely dominant players. Sweden's Gustav Orn came first. Was the first overall pick in junior to the Surrey Eagles where he set the league records for goals, points and assists. Only his points record still stands. He was then the first overall pick of the 1954 CHL Entry Draft going to the Halifax Hurricanes, he eventually left the Hurricanes after their 2nd Cup win and signed with the Kingston Frontenacs where he won another cup.

Here's his resume:
3x Cup Winner
8x League MVP
2x Playoff MVP
7x Points Leader
2x Goals Leader
All Time Points Leader with 2107 points over 1641 games. 3rd All Time in goals with 738 goals in 1641 games.

Orn retired in 1976. It took until 1983 when a young man from Finland would go first overall in the junior draft and eventually absolutely torch the league on fire. Mauri Hirvonen went 1st overall in the 1983 junior draft to the Toronto Junior Canadians. After 3 very strong junior seasons Hirvonen was drafted 1st overall in the CHL Entry Draft by the Ottawa Senators. Hirvonen made a quick transition to the pros by capturing rookie of the year honours after posting 69 points in 80 games. Hirvonen would win just one Cup with the Senators, quickly signing with the London Knights the following season where he would win just one more Cup.

Here's Hirvonen's resume:
2x Cup Winner
9x League MVP
1x Playoff MVP
7x Points Leader
9x Goals Leader
1st All Time in goals with 764 goals in 1404 games. 2nd All Time in points with 1719 points in 1404 games.

Kind of interesting that in a league based entirely in Canada and consisting mostly of Canadians that a Swede and a Finn would be the two best players to ever step foot on the ice. There are many more elite players but they seem to be the only guys to absolutely own their generation of guys so far.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Seriously considering switching over to FHM4, EHM is great but just a bit stale and starting to get dated.

Is it worth it? Real shame there is no trial/demo option.

I suggest you start by reading a couple of reviews:
Here you have my review: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 Review (Ok, I'm biased :D)
And Operations sports review: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 Review: A Solid Sim Experience - Operation Sports
And SGO review: Franchise Hockey Manager 4 Review - Sports Gamers Online

Then you can find multiple YouTube videos. Just search for them, I know they exist, but I won't search for them as I find it quite dumb to watch other people to play videogames lol, although you can have a good idea on how it works.
If you want to play in the UK, though, the European side is not as developed as the NA one. I enjoy playing in the KHL, but I need to accept some limitations. That said, I'm not a UK expert so I dunno how it would be.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Seriously considering switching over to FHM4, EHM is great but just a bit stale and starting to get dated.

I bought game on first day and up until now I have 226 hours of playing. Take into account that for almost month I don't have my computer (broken) so I don't play it.

Very good game, FHM made giant steps forward since it first release. Sure, lots of work to be done to make comparison with OOTP Baseball series, but they are on right path.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I love EHM but I think FHM has now surpassed it. Things like the draft and international tournaments aren’t quite as good but overall I think it’s a better game. The realism in terms of stats, development and ageing is much better than EHM.

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
I bought game on first day and up until now I have 226 hours of playing. Take into account that for almost month I don't have my computer (broken) so I don't play it.

Very good game, FHM made giant steps forward since it first release. Sure, lots of work to be done to make comparison with OOTP Baseball series, but they are on right path.

Yeah, it seems quite impressive. I'm just used to EHM and from what I can gather, people who've played both lean slightly towards that, although FHM is more progressive in terms of development and fixes etc as EHM is literally a one man team!

Reactions: KnightAttack

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Im a fan of "fast running game". That means, i want to run the sim in the background. When i work on PC. From time to time check the lines (draft, sign free agents..) and again, run the sim for week or two. EHM is very good built for it. It is possible also in FHM?

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Im a fan of "fast running game". That means, i want to run the sim in the background. When i work on PC. From time to time check the lines (draft, sign free agents..) and again, run the sim for week or two. EHM is very good built for it. It is possible also in FHM?

With FHM you can even sim 100 years at once lol. Yes, I think that FHM is even better for this

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Is there any talk about Franchise Hockey Manager 5? About new features. When it will be released.

Don't know about features but I read at OOTP forums they will start on FHM 5 after they release last update for FHM 4. Release date assume it should be as usual, around opening night.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Don't know about features but I read at OOTP forums they will start on FHM 5 after they release last update for FHM 4. Release date assume it should be as usual, around opening night.

We won't start talking about FHM5 publicly until the Summer at the earliest. We've got a lot of ideas we're tossing around though.

Reactions: Matt UK

Dfnswnschmpnshps

Dec 2, 2009
Picked up FHM4 a couple months back. I wanted more from the standard console games and I’ve been thrilled with the experience so far. Wanted to post some feedback on a few bugs I’ve run into.
  • no matter what salary I offer in an offer sheet the compensation is always a 1st and 3rd. Even for an entry level type money contract for an RFA
  • The worst experience I’ve had is when international tournaments roll around. No matter what subscriptions I use I can’t get any info on when rosters should be selected. When the time comes and I use any AI assignments the game crashes. It’s very cumbersome to select every position and o and d tactics roles
  • It would be nice if draft picks showed the actual pick # in trade screens
Other than those that I can think of, the game has been a lot of fun so far

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Picked up FHM4 a couple months back. I wanted more from the standard console games and I’ve been thrilled with the experience so far. Wanted to post some feedback on a few bugs I’ve run into.
  • no matter what salary I offer in an offer sheet the compensation is always a 1st and 3rd. Even for an entry level type money contract for an RFA
  • The worst experience I’ve had is when international tournaments roll around. No matter what subscriptions I use I can’t get any info on when rosters should be selected. When the time comes and I use any AI assignments the game crashes. It’s very cumbersome to select every position and o and d tactics roles
  • It would be nice if draft picks showed the actual pick # in trade screens
Other than those that I can think of, the game has been a lot of fun so far

Tell us what you really like.

Dfnswnschmpnshps

Dec 2, 2009
Tell us what you really like.

The stat and record keeping is great. Being able to see upcoming milestones, see how players rank against franchise greats, all time record books, etc is really cool.

I like the scouting process. Being able to see attributes, small write ups, roles, etc helps you draft more realistically.

Ability to sign coaches and scouts, and have their unique features have an impact on everything from training to in game tactics is cool.

There are many more. This game helped me see how little the actual game play (controlling players) mattered to my experience. Building a team and franchise off the ice is what drives my interest.

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
Are there any plans to implement a better roster editor? I think the lack of good tools to easily make and update rosters really holds the game back. EHM has a great, living community because its much easier to create rosters and not have to rely on new versions of the game to get current rosters. The current in-game editor isn't powerful enough and is too clunky UI-wise to make full, updated rosters.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Are there any plans to implement a better roster editor? I think the lack of good tools to easily make and update rosters really holds the game back. EHM has a great, living community because its much easier to create rosters and not have to rely on new versions of the game to get current rosters. The current in-game editor isn't powerful enough and is too clunky UI-wise to make full, updated rosters.

It's something we've looked and may get to in the future.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Is there an updated summary of all the features in historical mode? I remember that a couple versions ago, a fair amount of depth from the game was not present (e.g., minor leagues). How close is historical mode now to regular mode in terms of gameplay features?

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Yes, but can't find a way to edit the budget amounts. Not sure if it's possible.

I will double check but I don't believe that's possible. The easiest thing to do if you're having an issue is usually just edit individuals players contracts.

Is there an updated summary of all the features in historical mode? I remember that a couple versions ago, a fair amount of depth from the game was not present (e.g., minor leagues). How close is historical mode now to regular mode in terms of gameplay features?

Minor Leagues are now in the game but not playable yet. We have a bit of a workaround with it as if teams were split they appear as 2 teams though so the AI doesn't favor one teams players over another's. Making them playable is still a long term goal, as is International Tournaments in Historical as well (as I know it's something I would love myself), but the issue is all the players in those tournaments who weren't in the NHL, but we're still in early plans on that.

We also went all the way back to 1917 as playable as well, including the PCHA, WHA, etc.

And right now (again, don't want to post links because I don't want to break rules), but you can grab FHM4 for 75% off ($9.99).

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Thank you. Please let me know what you find out. I don't prefer to change contracts and throw off the fairness balance of the game. Changing my teams' budget to match the "rich team's budget" still keeps all teams on more of an even playing field. If it's not an option, please consider adding this feature. An owner should be open to raising the budget if you've had success, but that doesn't seem to be the case in this game. Thank you for your consideration.

I will double check but I don't believe that's possible. The easiest thing to do if you're having an issue is usually just edit individuals players contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad