Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - Part 2

KnightsFan110

Apr 23, 2013
Go to the history screen of your team and click on the year to see all the players who played for your team in any given years (including the current one) stats. Alternatively on the main roster screen there is a drop down menu on the right that allows you to view multiple types of stats (among other things) including penalties, advanced stats, a general summary and various others.

Thank you!! Also one more, signed a prospect that I drafted (russian) but can't assign him to his jr team due to them having their import slots filled, am i able to assign him to another league ?

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Thank you!! Also one more, signed a prospect that I drafted (russian) but can't assign him to his jr team due to them having their import slots filled, am i able to assign him to another league ?

In the last update, this was added:

When an NHL team attempts to return an import player to a CHL team who is at the import limit, the team will either make room for him or release his CHL rights, allowing him to be sent to the minors.

It's likely it may take a day or two for them to release his rights as well (or you may have to wait until the start of the season - I personally haven't had the issue yet), but that would be my guess. If it doesn't though and as long as you're not in Challenge Mode, you can Edit the player in Commissioner Mode to another team (or his current team) and it will force them to make a roster move...but he should go down.

If this doesn't happen, we may need to see your save to see why it's not happening.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
How come players get worse when they should be getting better? for example i have rantanen and mackinnon, both have lost 1/2 star ability and 1/2 star potential in my first season? unsure what i am doing wrong

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
How come players get worse when they should be getting better? for example i have rantanen and mackinnon, both have lost 1/2 star ability and 1/2 star potential in my first season? unsure what i am doing wrong

Normally the more you see guys the more accurate their ratings become. Guys potential and ability is always overstated at the start of games or if they’re not on your team and you trade for them. They haven’t got worse it’s just you’re getting a more accurate read on them.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada

Normally the more you see guys the more accurate their ratings become. Guys potential and ability is always overstated at the start of games or if they’re not on your team and you trade for them. They haven’t got worse it’s just you’re getting a more accurate read on them.

Yeah, Paul's answer is a good one. Scouting on a player makes big impact. You should see a Scout level of E through A. E being the worst, A the best. However how good the Scout is who did the report can also affect how you see them.

It's also possible that some players are starting to drop a bit because their development has ceased and they may be regressing. Sometimes players when going through cold streaks their confidence will take a sharp turn down as well. You may see a player lose a half to a full star ability, but that doesn't mean they can't get it back as well.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
How fast is it? And can you autosim for some period of time?

Well it depends a lot of factors. For instance if you're doing our historical mode, a league year can be simmed in a matter of one or two minutes if you turn off alerts.

In our regular mode, there's a lot of things going on, so it's slower than that. But I'm running a long term simulation right now (with every playable league on) and it's simming on average 6-9 minutes per month (that said as I'm typing this December 2023 finished in 5 minutes). Now some months will be faster than others (for instance, the end of June the database is the biggest before players retire) so there can be some slowdown. But in our second last update we did some tuning to improve sim times and saw about a 10-15 minute drop on a full year simulation.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Well it depends a lot of factors. For instance if you're doing our historical mode, a league year can be simmed in a matter of one or two minutes if you turn off alerts.

In our regular mode, there's a lot of things going on, so it's slower than that. But I'm running a long term simulation right now (with every playable league on) and it's simming on average 6-9 minutes per month (that said as I'm typing this December 2023 finished in 5 minutes). Now some months will be faster than others (for instance, the end of June the database is the biggest before players retire) so there can be some slowdown. But in our second last update we did some tuning to improve sim times and saw about a 10-15 minute drop on a full year simulation.

That is not bad. Comparing to EHM. I run the game in the background, then see whats new, run 1 or 2 games and again , sim in the background.
But what happens, when you played lets say 100 seasons in a game? I could imagine, the game data is very big. How will this affect the game? Did you run some very long game? Im a fan of this. To run 100 and more seasons.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
That is not bad. Comparing to EHM. I run the game in the background, then see whats new, run 1 or 2 games and again , sim in the background.
But what happens, when you played lets say 100 seasons in a game? I could imagine, the game data is very big. How will this affect the game? Did you run some very long game? Im a fan of this. To run 100 and more seasons.
I've noticed that deleting all messages/news item in your "mail" speeds the day-to-day sim up a bit, if that's any help at all. Might be on my laptop only, haven't played on my desktop for six months since it's back home and I'm not. :)

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
I've noticed that deleting all messages/news item in your "mail" speeds the day-to-day sim up a bit, if that's any help at all. Might be on my laptop only, haven't played on my desktop for six months since it's back home and I'm not. :)
It can speed it up some for sure.

Basically the database will grow over time, but once players become "retired" they shrink as well. So saved files don't get too drastic, we do reuse player numbers which is why when you may see in a story of a player retiring a randomly generated 15 year old player may show up tagged (because that's his new number - although we're trying to eliminate that from happening). I'm sure someone has done a really long sim, but I personally have it so I can't tell you how far it'll go. I can say that I've been running a new test build and I'm averaging around 60-70 minutes per season right now (currently simmed through 2030).

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada

Actually had some more time to think on this today and wanted to mention as well - if you turn off FaceGen and instead say, use the Jerseys, you should see some increase as well.

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
Genuine post and not trolling, but a lot of the Steam reviews on the game are quite negative and claim it crashes a lot and feels unfinished.

I've been tempted to buy it a few times now but just aren't convinced. How reliable is the game really?

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
I would take Steam reviews with a pinch of salt. I find a lot of what is posted on Steam for games in general is trolling.

I haven't played enough of the game for a while to comment on stability (I struggle to find the game engaging long-term and there are few niggles with UK/Euro leagues (as there are with EHM too)), but you could check out FHM's Technical Support forum to get an idea: Random Crashing Occuring - OOTP Developments Forums

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Genuine post and not trolling, but a lot of the Steam reviews on the game are quite negative and claim it crashes a lot and feels unfinished.

I've been tempted to buy it a few times now but just aren't convinced. How reliable is the game really?

I think its crashed on me once in the 50+ hours I've played.

Reactions: Matt UK

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I wouldn't say it's "unfinished" but I do think you need to know that you're getting in basically on the ground floor of a game that, in about 5 years' time, will be the preeminent example of its genre. That means that not all of the features you'd want or that the programmers would like to include are going to be in the game yet. I don't think it's quite worth its full-price cost, but if you want to see what it can be a few versions from now and not end up like EHM (a fine game that is basically only kept alive as a labor of love by one of its original programmers), it's worth paying for it now.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada

I would take Steam reviews with a pinch of salt. I find a lot of what is posted on Steam for games in general is trolling.
I haven't played enough of the game for a while to comment on stability (I struggle to find the game engaging long-term and there are few niggles with UK/Euro leagues (as there are with EHM too))

I can't say that it's impossible for you to run into something that may unexpectedly crash. We test and we update constantly just like every other developer. But occasionally things get through. No one is going to play the game the exact same way and everyone has different hardware and the game changes every time you start a new save. We rely on our testers and our community to let us know when there is an issue that they see, and many are great at reporting them. If you do run into problems we'll gladly help and figure out why. We've also changed the way our games save now as well, adding 2 back-up saves in your saved game in case something happens so progress isn't totally lost (it makes the copies at the last autosaves). You should have a great experience with the game but if you do not, we'd like to help to make sure you have one.

As for Steam Reviews...I'm not going to argue with what archibalduk said. However we do our best to respond to every review we can. Some gladly work with us. Some do not.

The unfinished remark I believe that most have replied to is more in terms of what some people want; for instance we did several large changes in our custom game to give people more flexibility which was a frequently asked feature. But I know for instance one review one person was unhappy that it is only a three tied leagues in fictional right now. That's a fine complaint to have, but we did not hide the fact that the amount of leagues in fictional has not changed. There are other examples, but I will leave it at that.

I'm fairly certain though if you give our game a go you will enjoy it.

Last edited:

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
I think the game is very good atm. Could there be more features? Of course.
To me it feels like a finished game, with a lot more immersion than previous versions.
I’ve worked for SI during the NHL EHM days and a tiny bit on FHM as well. I’m happy with where the game’s at right now. Well worth the money.

smetana

B2B2B2B HA Champs
Aug 5, 2006
USA I.1
In hundreds of hours of playtime, I could count the number of crashes on one hand, honestly (mostly in beta builds). A lot of crashes are a result of the user's own hardware not playing nice (the same can be said for most games), and i try to run a well-oiled machine, so to speak, so YMMV.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

It’s only crashed once or twice on me in two saves I’ve had, both which have spanned around 15 years.

KnightsFan110

Apr 23, 2013
I can't seem to dress or scratch my players, even after firing my coach I can't do it. any idea why?? :(

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
I can't seem to dress or scratch my players, even after firing my coach I can't do it. any idea why?? :(

There seems to be a bug that a few people have gotten. We're still investigating the issue, but hope to have it resolved for the next update (coming hopefully next week)...assuming it's the same issue. Does clicking on the "DRE" column on the roster screen work to dress players?

Reactions: Leafer73

KnightsFan110

Apr 23, 2013
There seems to be a bug that a few people have gotten. We're still investigating the issue, but hope to have it resolved for the next update (coming hopefully next week)...assuming it's the same issue. Does clicking on the "DRE" column on the roster screen work to dress players?

beauty that works, thanks!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad