May 22, 2005
Finland
Toronto hired Charlie Brown as a head coach
71EriSv.jpg

Reactions: TNT87

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Hehe, Hard to argue that hiring process. Other than it would be even better if he previously worked as the Head Coach of Seals.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Probably a few years away, but it would be great if there was a "light" version eventually available for the iphone/ipad similar to how Football Manager and OOTP Baseball (I believe it's called Baseball Manager?) are currently offered.

Reactions: pukovnik

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Probably a few years away, but it would be great if there was a "light" version eventually available for the iphone/ipad similar to how Football Manager and OOTP Baseball (I believe it's called Baseball Manager?) are currently offered.

Yes, yes ! I am sure we will see it within few years.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

I've wondered this before but have you tried World Hockey Manager? Its kind of the similar concept.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada

Yes, yes ! I am sure we will see it within few years.

It's something we've actually discussed internally. It's on the list of things we'd like to do, but right now our focus is continuing to work on and improve the PC/Mac version.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
How has the prospect scouting and development progressed in the game? How are the player pools after 5, 10, 15 or 20 seasons? This has always been my biggest issue with hockey management sims and what prevents me from picking up a copy.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
How has the prospect scouting and development progressed in the game? How are the player pools after 5, 10, 15 or 20 seasons? This has always been my biggest issue with hockey management sims and what prevents me from picking up a copy.

A lot of it depends on how good your Scouts and Assistant Coaches are in terms of Scouting and Development. But from every long run test I've ran, I've seen no issues with future draft classes. We use real players for the first 4 years (or so), but when we're forecasting 14 year olds, it's really hard to guess where they may end up. The AI does a good job mixing in Superstars and Busts in the draft classes. If you find an issue, we want to know for sure, but everything seems to be fine. You should see some 18 year old prospects be ready to contribute immediately, but not many will be (just like real life as well).

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

The scouting has come a long way and is pretty decent now although every player scouted seems to have that they’re injury prone on their scouting report. The development is very good, players develop and decline at different rates and it’s very realistic in terms of when players start aging etc.

The player pool does get slightly more talented after 20 years but not to an extreme level and if you expand it helps with an excess of quality players playing in bottom 6 roles.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
A lot of it depends on how good your Scouts and Assistant Coaches are in terms of Scouting and Development. But from every long run test I've ran, I've seen no issues with future draft classes. We use real players for the first 4 years (or so), but when we're forecasting 14 year olds, it's really hard to guess where they may end up. The AI does a good job mixing in Superstars and Busts in the draft classes. If you find an issue, we want to know for sure, but everything seems to be fine. You should see some 18 year old prospects be ready to contribute immediately, but not many will be (just like real life as well).

Do you have to train in order for stats to improve? Or is that a boost? The user manual is vague and provides very little info on how the system actually works.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Do you have to train in order for stats to improve? Or is that a boost? The user manual is vague and provides very little info on how the system actually works.

Training adds or can stop subtractions. So yes, I guess it is a boost. It doesn't mean that a player can't develop more on their own.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Training adds or can stop subtractions. So yes, I guess it is a boost. It doesn't mean that a player can't develop more on their own.

So what do the numbers represent for that screen. Yes, most people get 20 is the best and you don't want to spread it out too thin. But this literally has zero meaning without more context. I understand the game will take time to be on par with sports sims that have been around for years. However, the manual doesn't actually explain mechanics at all, it just provides little bits of information that can't be further disseminated because the game doesn't give you anything to go on. How are users supposed to know how to properly train players, when all we know is the higher the number the better the chance for a bonus in training? We don't even know what this chance is.

Basically, do you guys plan on adding more material/content to the user manual? To me, its a cheap easy win for you guys.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
So what do the numbers represent for that screen. Yes, most people get 20 is the best and you don't want to spread it out too thin. But this literally has zero meaning without more context. I understand the game will take time to be on par with sports sims that have been around for years. However, the manual doesn't actually explain mechanics at all, it just provides little bits of information that can't be further disseminated because the game doesn't give you anything to go on. How are users supposed to know how to properly train players, when all we know is the higher the number the better the chance for a bonus in training? We don't even know what this chance is.

Basically, do you guys plan on adding more material/content to the user manual? To me, its a cheap easy win for you guys.

Right from the Manual, 20 represents "The largest coaching bonus a player can receive in a category is 20 points. Each team has a variable number of bonus points available in each category, determined by the quality and skills of their coaching staff." Basically unless you have a completely terrible staff you'll have 20 points. The quality of you and your staff will directly affect how fast that 20 points deteriorates when you start spreading it through the team. The manual also notes that if you spread too thin, then it's way less effective. We've also covered Training multiple times on our Streams, so that may be something you should look into as well. I do my best to tag all of our videos appropriately, or at least put in correct descriptions.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Right from the Manual, 20 represents "The largest coaching bonus a player can receive in a category is 20 points. Each team has a variable number of bonus points available in each category, determined by the quality and skills of their coaching staff." Basically unless you have a completely terrible staff you'll have 20 points. The quality of you and your staff will directly affect how fast that 20 points deteriorates when you start spreading it through the team. The manual also notes that if you spread too thin, then it's way less effective. We've also covered Training multiple times on our Streams, so that may be something you should look into as well. I do my best to tag all of our videos appropriately, or at least put in correct descriptions.

I will check them out. But that 20 bonus still means very little. How does it work? What does it represent within the coding? How does that game mechanic translate in to a real world situation? Its all so vague and not really helpful. Is a 20 bonus twice as effective as a 10 bonus? What is the likelihood somebody will get a bonus? What are the bonuses?

In certain games, the descriptions are vague, especially in games where the user is meant to find out these things. However, we as users of FHM4 don't actually have a means of finding out what these bonuses do unless we pull apart the code. Its impossible to make informed decisions in a game that should reward informed decisions more than anything else.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
I will check them out. But that 20 bonus still means very little. How does it work? What does it represent within the coding? How does that game mechanic translate in to a real world situation? Its all so vague and not really helpful. Is a 20 bonus twice as effective as a 10 bonus? What is the likelihood somebody will get a bonus? What are the bonuses?

In certain games, the descriptions are vague, especially in games where the user is meant to find out these things. However, we as users of FHM4 don't actually have a means of finding out what these bonuses do unless we pull apart the code. Its impossible to make informed decisions in a game that should reward informed decisions more than anything else.

The 20 points indicate how much bonus a player will get above normal development. The further you spread it out, the less bonus you'll get. In short, yes 20 is 2x as good as 10.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
The 20 points indicate how much bonus a player will get above normal development. The further you spread it out, the less bonus you'll get. In short, yes 20 is 2x as good as 10.

A bonus in terms of what? What does this bonus do? Does it guarantee something? Is it cumulative? If so, how often does it accrue? Does it go away? Is it chance based?

There is literally no way for somebody to know what it does, other than apparently it helps and the higher the number the better. But, what sort of informed decision can a player make when using it with no context

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
A bonus in terms of what? What does this bonus do? Does it guarantee something? Is it cumulative? If so, how often does it accrue? Does it go away? Is it chance based?

There is literally no way for somebody to know what it does, other than apparently it helps and the higher the number the better. But, what sort of informed decision can a player make when using it with no context

A bonus in terms of the coaches ability to help players improve over what they would already. It's a bonus from your Head Coach and your assistants. Every player can still improve, but the coaches training ability can help a player improve faster or decrease the rate a player falls. However the exact formula of how it determined is not something we wish to share at this time. But as stated earlier, the closer the number is to twenty, the more focus there is on that particular set of players and the faster one may improve. And as stated before, yes, if you left it at 20 instead of going to 10, it would be twice as fast. (Meaning you should still overall skill improve 2x as fast).

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Anyone playing Historical Challenges ? I find it very interesting, there are several though ones, especially Calgary's, Vancouver's and Islanders (can't beat Oilers even after I trade bunch of pick and prospects for Kurri).

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
We've also covered Training multiple times on our Streams, so that may be something you should look into as well. I do my best to tag all of our videos appropriately, or at least put in correct descriptions.

I cant find those videos, can you post links for it ?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just wanted to post my brief FHM story (still on FHM 3). Just finished the 2017-2018 playoffs, where my 110 point Oilers and the 112 point LA Kings were knocked out in the first round in seven games by Phoenix and Winnipeg respectively. 90 point Winnipeg went on to make the Final, where they went up against Pittsburgh, who finished first in the metro and went undefeated through the first three rounds of the playoffs. They then went up 3-0 on Winnipeg, at which point Winnipeg rolled off four straight to take the Cup. What a wild story that would be if it ever happened in real life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->