Value of: Fowler to MTL

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I bet the guy creating the Emelin rumor took a look at generalfanager and realized the only way a deal works is with Emelin's salary going back to Anaheim. If rumors were true and there was a deal around the 1st pick Montreal had this year would any Ducks fans make a hypothetical

Emelin + Sergachev for Fowler swap.

Even though it doesn't fill your needs you would be able to retain Sergachev long term.

Why would the Ducks, a team trying to contend right now, move Fowler for a lesser, more expensive dman they don't need, in order to gain a prospect who also doesn't fill a need? Doesn't sound all that productive from an Anaheim perspective.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Why would the Ducks, a team trying to contend right now, move Fowler for a lesser, more expensive dman they don't need, in order to gain a prospect who also doesn't fill a need? Doesn't sound all that productive from an Anaheim perspective.

It's as if they didn't try to flip him for the 8th and 9th overall picks...

Moving Fowler for a pick was most likely an expansion move in order for them not to lose a valuable asset because as of now, they might.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site

Moving Fowler for a pick was most likely an expansion move in order for them not to lose a valuable asset because as of now, they might.

Do you remember the Bobby Ryan trade? I would think the ducks were looking for something like that:

1st round pick
top6 forward on ELC
decent prospect

Noesen didn't pan out (yet), but at the time he was someone we liked and considered a good prospect. The 1st round pick turned out to be Ritchie, which probably was higher than both parties thought, but not out of the realm of possiblity.

I'm guessing both teams were willing to move the top 10 pick for Fowler, but not the 2 other pieces in the trade.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

The Ducks reportedly discussed a trade involving Fowler and those draft picks. Those two teams both needed a LHD and didn't have a young forward available who would make a proper starting point for such a deal. That still doesn't mean it would have made much sense for the Ducks to have a dman in mind for that pick. BPA aside, I think it's pretty safe to say Anaheim would prefer a forward who could break in during their window. That would be the main motivation for looking at a top 10 pick, even if an NHL ready forward would be a better fit. You also didn't bother to touch on the part where Emelin makes absolutely zero sense for the Ducks.

I'm guessing both teams were willing to move the top 10 pick for Fowler, but not the 2 other pieces in the trade.

It seems most Habs and Sabres fans have read the speculative tweets and decided that their teams both turned down the opportunity to acquire Fowler straight up in return for their 1st round pick, which is far from an absolute truth, we don't know where the talks ultimately broke down on either deal.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015

but the ducks already have a ton of young defenders
all 24 and younger
lindholm
fowler
depres
manson
theodore
montour
larsson

plus vatanen is 25. Why do they need another defensemen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad