Value of: Fowler to MTL

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Just reading the fall out from today's nuclear holocaust of NHL GM insanity and it seems the consensus as far as the Subban - Weber swap is a) MTL got hosed even though b) Weber is still an elite D just starting to show signs of decline. Most seem to think Weber needs a strong skating partner to be effective cause when he's forced to skate the puck out of the zone it tends to get ugly. So with Fowler rumored to be on the block wouldn't he be the perfect fit? Not sure they have an answer internally, possibly Beaulieu? But think he'd be better suited in a 2nd pairing role. Montreal has to be going all in for the next few years so would next years first (lottery protected) + Scherbak get it done? I don't think they'd be wanting to move a roster player since they should be adding and Anaheim is in need of some cap relief so futures are preferable? Neutral fan so unsure of what each fan base would be looking for... give er!

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Ducks are also going all in for the next couple of years, so futures don't work. Pac/Gal is the only Montreal assets that work for the Ducks and I doubt Fowler gets either of them.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Ducks are also going all in for the next couple of years, so futures don't work. Pac/Gal is the only Montreal assets that work for the Ducks and I doubt Fowler gets either of them.

Definitely not but isn't Fowler primarily being shopped because of financial concerns? Otherwise why move him at all?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Just reading the fall out from today's nuclear holocaust of NHL GM insanity and it seems the consensus as far as the Subban - Weber swap is a) MTL got hosed even though b) Weber is still an elite D just starting to show signs of decline. Most seem to think Weber needs a strong skating partner to be effective cause when he's forced to skate the puck out of the zone it tends to get ugly. So with Fowler rumored to be on the block wouldn't he be the perfect fit? Not sure they have an answer internally, possibly Beaulieu? But think he'd be better suited in a 2nd pairing role. Montreal has to be going all in for the next few years so would next years first (lottery protected) + Scherbak get it done? I don't think they'd be wanting to move a roster player since they should be adding and Anaheim is in need of some cap relief so futures are preferable? Neutral fan so unsure of what each fan base would be looking for... give er!

In terms of what you described, Fowler sounds like a perfect fit, having one of the best zone exit rates in the league. Unfortunately I don't see any move that benefits the Ducks (more than keeping Fowler) unless we're discussing one of the Habs three forwards who they won't want to give up (one is the captain and the other two start with Gal).

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Definitely not but isn't Fowler primarily being shopped because of financial concerns? Otherwise why move him at all?

not at all. Only on the block so we can get a high quality LW in return. He's not a cap dump, so if we were just wanting to trade him to save money, it would have happened already. We just have a lot of good defensemen, and Murray most likely wants to use one of them to help our forward core.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

It's more of a we can't keep him Vatanen and Lindholm forever kind of thing, than a we gotta move this cap no matter what thing. We're not just gonna dump him for free.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
not at all. Only on the block so we can get a high quality LW in return. He's not a cap dump, so if we were just wanting to trade him to save money, it would have happened already. We just have a lot of good defensemen, and Murray most likely wants to use one of them to help our forward core.

No internal cap? I see there's lots of projected cap space with a few major RFAs to sign in Rackell and Lindholm. Perron seemed to fit in nicely wouldn't resigning him make the most sense?

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
No internal cap? I see there's lots of projected cap space with a few major RFAs to sign in Rackell and Lindholm. Perron seemed to fit in nicely wouldn't resigning him make the most sense?

Perron would be a decent fall back. He played well here, but there are some major concerns on a long term deal about his consistency.

We also have way too many right handed shots in the lineup. Need to add a lefty in the top 6.

I think our GM is trying to fill a hole upfront while simultaneously solving the log jam on defense. I could see him turning to futures, but I hope he doesn't.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I'm guessing if... it's Emelin a pick and a prospect. Probably won't get it done unless I'm misjudging Anaheim's POV.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Nothing from Montreal aside from Patches or Galy would entice me as a Duck fan. I just don't see a fit. May have been possible with the top 10 pick, but the Fowler to Montreal ship sailed imo.

My bet is Fowler ends up on one of the redwings, Avs, or possibly Oilers. Redwings most likely though.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Why the heck would we spin in circles and include Beaulieu in a trade for Fowler? Fans sometimes have no logic in their thoughts.

Fowler is better than Beaulieu and would fit with Weber.
That's why.
To hard for you to figure out?
Here, work on this for a while ... 2+2=

Patriote

Jun 23, 2016
Montréal
Not sure Fowler is still on MTL's list since we drafted Sergachev. The main point on getting Fowler was to replace Markov.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: