Rumor: Fourth Period - EP 40 sitting on 12M offer since start of season

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
It was reported at the time the Pettersson wanted a longer term and it was the Canucks that wanted the bridge.

Thought here: what if:

What if Pettersson doesn’t want to come out and say he doesn’t want to be a Canuck. Plenty of recent examples that I don’t need to reference with this group, including Lindholm who now players here. He says he wants to play for a winner, because he doesn’t think we will be one. Lots of experiance with losing and figured it was an easy thing to point to when he left. Now we are winning and the management team is competent and he has no response because he didn’t expect this (as almost none of us did). Now it’s blowing up and what’s next.

I agree with the vast majority they won’t trade him in season. But, if you think he is going to leave, you get significantly more now. If he forces your hand as an RFA and picks his team, and refuses a contract and pushed for a qualifying offer/arbitration this could turn ugly for the Canucks.

Not sure what the best course of action is, but if they trade him, you know it’s because they figured we are facked and they found a package that keeps the cup dream alive.

I think he decided to leave last year when the team sucked yet again, and thought his public expressions would be enough go justify leaving.

Now that things went about as well as they could possibly go, he is kind of holding his foot in his mouth.

There's no question that the team is worse without EP40 next year, but you could run a 1-2 punch of Miller/Lindholm for the foreseeable future and remain a contender.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
You'd think Vancouver would be a desirable place.
Yes its Canada but it's up there on great cities.

I Do wonder If it is competitiveness and wants to see the playoffs. The team is near the top and he's a big part of it.
If a market like Vancouver can't keep stars much past RFA this will not go well for the league I fear.
I think his statements about wanting to win was just an handy excuse when Vancouver was losing. Rumors are that he just wants to live in New York. He's into the fashion scene and wants to live in the big apple

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
I get that he wants to win. However, where does he expect to go, that can both afford him and is going to be a contender for all eight years. Not really the way it works in the new NHL. There is no long term contender.

He's also the #1 center. If he wants a cup, a lot of that is on him. He has to put a MacKinnon style effort in the post season.
Wanting to win was just a convenient reason to state why he wasn't signed. It doesn't quite work anymore with the Canucks play this year.

If he really did want to win , he wouldn't be moving off a team that had Quinn Hughs.

It was probably always about the allure of New York. I could totally see some half baked trade involving Zibanejad and Laffrenier coming.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Just wait until the team is punted out of the playoffs for the real trade rumours to start pouring in.

I like seeing reverse jinxes like this. That's all the Canucks skeptics have to hang onto now. They proudly and confidently state that the Canucks will be punted out in the first round.

That's fine. When the yahoo fans say the Canucks are a legit playoff contender , that's when we will pause and reflect.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
It was reported at the time the Pettersson wanted a longer term and it was the Canucks that wanted the bridge.

Thought here: what if:

What if Pettersson doesn’t want to come out and say he doesn’t want to be a Canuck. Plenty of recent examples that I don’t need to reference with this group, including Lindholm who now players here. He says he wants to play for a winner, because he doesn’t think we will be one. Lots of experiance with losing and figured it was an easy thing to point to when he left. Now we are winning and the management team is competent and he has no response because he didn’t expect this (as almost none of us did). Now it’s blowing up and what’s next.

I agree with the vast majority they won’t trade him in season. But, if you think he is going to leave, you get significantly more now. If he forces your hand as an RFA and picks his team, and refuses a contract and pushed for a qualifying offer/arbitration this could turn ugly for the Canucks.

Not sure what the best course of action is, but if they trade him, you know it’s because they figured we are facked and they found a package that keeps the cup dream alive.
Contract term - Canucks wanted the same as Hughes.

I don't think there have been more than a handful of players that said they don't or won't play for certain teams publicly.

If he is to go, deals would have to be PDQ after the season for the Canucks is over.
If he reaches July 1 his agent can talk to everyone but also all the GM's in the league can talk to him and his agent, start their sales pitches.
Old retiring GM's, Presidents and desperate teams might do offer sheets.
Canucks cannot take that chance. Even though they would likely want to match, matching could destroy the team just for spite of not letting him go. Picks over 5 years don not help the team.

What would Buffalo say to EP to get him there? Columbus? NJD? Think about how would they sell Petey on their teams?
This offer sheet thing if used is like EP being a FA with a gun to their head.

Best course of action is to be proactive rather than reactive.
Don't be chasing the deals, lead the charge. Take the high road and leverage to be able to leverage one team against another before July1.

This "winning" year is a fluke. Seattle had a winning year last year. Other teams have a single winning year and never go anywhere further. Vancouver has had a "winning" year followed up with 8 year of laughingly bad management.

Best action for the Canucks IMO is to initiate the trade talks while they still have the hammer before his contract runs out, this contract. Pettersson has already made his choice. Canucks would have signed anything he wanted. With all the media and social pressure if he was wavering he would have signed something.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
I think he decided to leave last year when the team sucked yet again, and thought his public expressions would be enough go justify leaving.

Now that things went about as well as they could possibly go, he is kind of holding his foot in his mouth.

There's no question that the team is worse without EP40 next year, but you could run a 1-2 punch of Miller/Lindholm for the foreseeable future and remain a contender.
And Zibanejad. Pettersons rights will be traded. And substantial roster players of some sort will be coming the other way.

Zib is too old for my liking and reminds me of the Huberdeau trade. Canucks should get younger in the trade , not older. But that's the way it could go.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Every time Friedman reports on this he has to say “I’m not trying to discredit anyone else’s reports” which is a way of telling you he’s discrediting someone else’s reports. Every new podcast episode he updates and says he can’t track down anyone who believes there is a firm contract offer out there. But he says Vancouver is willing to pay the big money for him. Which sounds a lot like the reason there isn’t a firm offer out there is because of EP’s side.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I could never quite put my finger on it, but I always got loser vibes from EP all the way back to his rookie year. If him not liking Miller is the reason why he wants out, I'd say good bye and good riddance if I'm Vancouver. Not to say Miller is the better player, but he plays winning hockey. EP can too... when he feels like it
What has Miller ever won? He's 6 years older than Pettersson and has accomplished nothing in his career.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
This "winning" year is a fluke. Seattle had a winning year last year. Other teams have a single winning year and never go anywhere further
:laugh:
How long did Seattle lead the league last year ? Did they have the best goal differential ? Does Seattle have 6 all stars ? The Canucks were under achievers for what the roster was for the last 2 years. The exact opposite of Seattle. Seattle over achieved for what they had on paper.

Which is to say , Petterson comments about winning wasn't the real reason. And never was.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Not that much worse off actually.
As far as contender, the OEL buyout limited that window.
But with a substantial return for Pettersson the team could be better in level of skill over all.
There are players that signed here as a last resort and are slightly over paid.
If enough of them are upgraded the status quo could be close.

IF this defence corp is kept intact and Demko plays similar as now then more than half the job is done.
Miller will last another 2/3 years but really should be relegated to the 2nd line but he has adopted the shut down role exceptionally well which will sustain his effectiveness longer into the later years of his contract.

Lindholm and Guental? as a line pairing?

This is just to keep the team competitive as they "build" into the future.
I think so many fans got used to the way trades were going after Quinn.
Nonis did a great job getting Luongo but after that Gillis got cornered by the Old Boys Club because of his past as a Player agent and the offer sheet. So his trading was limited

But the real damage was Benning. He couldn't trade worth a crap. Yes a couple of good deals but then some real losers, real big losers. Ditto signing FA players to reasonable contracts.
Almost a decade of losing faith with management.

So it is surprising when the Canucks are not just watching other teams make trades, big trades or not getting the "it's real hard to make trades under the cap" excuses. If it was easy then no team needs a GM.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
He's going to do what Parise did to NJD in 2012 if they don't trade him this summer, it makes sense why Vancouver is going absurdly in on this deadline with the rumors we've been hearing.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

A step back for sure but they'd be right back there with the assets they gain in a Petterson trade. Hell, they could flip those assets for even younger player to come in. Who knows with the idea is, all I know is them holding onto EP40 would be a next level disaster if he's running out the clock on them to UFA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad