Rumor: Fourth Period - EP 40 sitting on 12M offer since start of season

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I get that he wants to win. However, where does he expect to go, that can both afford him and is going to be a contender for all eight years. Not really the way it works in the new NHL. There is no long term contender.

He's also the #1 center. If he wants a cup, a lot of that is on him. He has to put a MacKinnon style effort in the post season.

• Wow
Reactions: theguardianII

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
It could be bad blood. A while ago, someone pointed out that he lost leverage and had to take a lesser salary because everyone else had their contracts done before him. This was during the time of when his current contract was done of course. Don’t remember if there were quotes expressing his displeasure or if it was just speculated.

It could be this, the reasons you mentioned, something else, or a combination. But there could be a little bit of a grudge in there even if it was the past GM. But maybe none of it is so bad and he ends up staying? 🤷‍♂️
That was done by Dim Jim who was busy locking in cap space for OEL. He gave Petey a shorter deal than he wanted to make that magic happen. All while allowing Tanev, Taffoli walk and handing the ninth overall draft pick away. Oh yeah, he signed Garland to an extension that (he is a good player and a great play driver) seems to be above market value.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Flat cap is over. League keeps expanding. 12/8 isn't too bad in a couple of years if he stays 100 point player.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I get that he wants to win. However, where does he expect to go, that can both afford him and is going to be a contender for all eight years. Not really the way it works in the new NHL. There is no long term contender.

He's also the #1 center. If he wants a cup, a lot of that is on him. He has to put a MacKinnon style effort in the post season.
Every contender will clear money for EP40 if he's even remotely interested in playing for them. This is one of the best players in the league still in his prime.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Every contender will clear money for EP40 if he's even remotely interested in playing for them. This is one of the best players in the league still in his prime.

Clearing 12 million is often easier said than done. Could the Oilers do it...I mean without gutting the team elsewhere?

What about the Avs? They have MacKinnon, Makar, and Rantanen, all with huge contracts. If they sign another player for $12 million, how do they afford to fill out the rest of the team? They'd have to jettison half the players they have making $4+ million and replace those guys with league minimum players.

What about the other top teams? The Panthers? How do they sign Pettersson and somehow not gut their defence. They have Montour, Forsling, Kulikov, and OEL all on huge discounts this year. They sign another 10+ million forward and their defence is trash.

Once again, what teams are guaranteed to be better contenders than the Canucks are now, for the next 8 years?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
According to a well-placed source tied to the club, the Canucks tabled Pettersson a long-term deal, believed to be eight years, worth $12 million per season at the beginning of the 2023-24 campaign. That offer has not been rejected; it’s there for the taking. Pettersson simply wants to take his time, see how the season plays out and revisit his future in the summer.

This isn’t about money; Pettersson is focused on winning. That’s why he shut down talks last off-season – he wanted to fully prepare for this year and help the Canucks bring a championship to Vancouver. His patience, so far, is paying off.
Sounds like he wants to walk. Why do I think that? It sounds like 90% of other players who say the same thing and walk when they can hit free agency.

I love the part where it says it isn't about money and is focused on winning and his patience is paying off.

Is he that fragile he cant sign and focus on winning? Nice little spin.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Clearing 12 million is often easier said than done. Could the Oilers do it...I mean without gutting the team elsewhere?

What about the Avs? They have MacKinnon, Makar, and Rantanen, all with huge contracts. If they sign another player for $12 million, how do they afford to fill out the rest of the team? They'd have to jettison half the players they have making $4+ million and replace those guys with league minimum players.

What about the other top teams? The Panthers? How do they sign Pettersson and somehow not gut their defence. They have Montour, Forsling, Kulikov, and OEL all on huge discounts this year. They sign another 10+ million forward and their defence is trash.

Once again, what teams are guaranteed to be better contenders than the Canucks are now, for the next 8 years?
Put Landeskog on LTIR and send Girard back to Vancouver in the deal - there's your 12 million in Colorado. Florida could also easily do it by walking away from Reinhart and Montour.

Most teams have a much better short, medium and long term outlook than the Canucks minus Pettersson. Detroit, Vegas, LA make sense off the top of my head but there are plenty of others.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

That's what I don't get about this. There's no team out there that is both 1) definitely better than Vancouver and 2) has the cap space to afford EP.

If he wants to take a stupid amount of money (12m is already an overpay for him imo) he's gunna have to go to a shit team. If he wants to win, why not stay in Vancouver? It's not like they have an aging core, the oldest one is Miller and he should still have a few great years left

Reactions: Brookbank

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Put Landeskog on LTIR and send Girard back to Vancouver in the deal - there's your 12 million in Colorado. Florida could also easily do it by walking away from Reinhart and Montour.

Most teams have a much better short, medium and long term outlook than the Canucks minus Pettersson. Detroit, Vegas, LA make sense off the top of my head but there are plenty of others.

Landeskog already is on LTIR.

Reinhardt has 67 points in 58 games. Montour is the number 1 d-man averaging 23-24 minute a game. I also don't think you get Florida's situation. They have to make sacrifices as it is. Signing Pettersson, means not just walking away from Reinhardt and Montour, but also more than 1 of Forsling, Kulikov, and OEL. Lundell wants a raise. Verhaeghe is in line for a big raise in another year.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That's what I don't get about this. There's no team out there that is both 1) definitely better than Vancouver and 2) has the cap space to afford EP.

If he wants to take a stupid amount of money (12m is already an overpay for him imo) he's gunna have to go to a shit team. If he wants to win, why not stay in Vancouver? It's not like they have an aging core, the oldest one is Miller and he should still have a few great years left

Not a Vancouver fan by any means, but relative to many teams they are set up long-term fairly well. Having a 24 year old #1 d-man and a 28 year old legit #1 goalie is more of a guarantee for success than most teams can provide.

If you look around the rest of the league, the other franchise players are much older. Panarin is 32, Kucherov is 30, Hedman is 33, Vegas overall is much older...I guess Colorado is somewhat young with MacKinnon at 28 and Makar at 25?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica

Reinhardt has 67 points in 58 games. Montour is the number 1 d-man averaging 23-24 minute a game. I also don't think you get Florida's situation. They have to make sacrifices as it is. Signing Pettersson, means not just walking away from Reinhardt and Montour, but also more than 1 of Forsling, Kulikov, and OEL. Lundell wants a raise. Verhaeghe is in line for a big raise in another year.
Montour is not our #1 he is our #3 but gets top PP time. Lundell is not in line for a huge raise, though things are looking up for him after a tough 18 months. One of Kulikov or OEL is not coming back regardless. I think our cap issues are a bit overblown TBH.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Montour is not our #1 he is our #3 but gets top PP time. Lundell is not in line for a huge raise, though things are looking up for him after a tough 18 months. One of Kulikov or OEL is not coming back regardless. I think our cap issues are a bit overblown TBH.

Do you think your teams is definitely better without Montour, Reindhart, and one of Kulikov/OEL but adding Pettersson. Lundell is re-signing for $900k?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

I'm not saying it makes sense for Florida to do it but if they really wanted Pettersson they could make it work by sacrificing other players. This applies to most teams.

Ultimately it will come down to which team(s) Pettersson is willing to sign with. He has all the leverage and the Canucks have none.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'm not saying it makes sense for Florida to do it but if they really wanted Pettersson they could make it work by sacrificing other players. This applies to most teams.

Ultimately it will come down to which team(s) Pettersson is willing to sign with. He has all the leverage and the Canucks have none.

Well of course any team could add another 10-12 million/year forward. For example, even the most cap strapped team could just start throwing away firsts or trading good contracts to make room. The question is always whether it makes sense or not.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

What exactly is the story here?

It's been clear since before the season started that EP wants out. Canucks ownership and management has been a complete joke for his entire career so it's not exactly shocking. Wouldn't be surprised if them choosing Miller, who EP reportedly doesn't get along with, over Horvat was the last straw for him.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
He can probably get a few hundred thousand more per year

12 seems like a solid deal. I'd take it. What if he gets injured.

Break the bank EP, hold out until you get an offer that tops the league.

playing with fire. one injury could cost him millions

That was done by Dim Jim who was busy locking in cap space for OEL. He gave Petey a shorter deal than he wanted to make that magic happen. All while allowing Tanev, Taffoli walk and handing the ninth overall draft pick away. Oh yeah, he signed Garland to an extension that (he is a good player and a great play driver) seems to be above market value.

What exactly is the story here?

Affordability for a 14 million dollar offer by other teams.
Easy.
Cap increases equaling 10 million over the next two years.
Canucks OEL buyout equals 7 million over the next two years so the team has 1/2 what other teams haven't even got yet.

Offer sheet leverage.
EP's agent can talk to ALL the NHL teams after July 1, he can pick and choose teams to look at. Since all will have an additional 5 mil in cap space and most will have the required 1rst round picks this makes it very dangerous for the Canucks to sit and wait too long. 4 picks, 28, 29, 30 & 27 do not make up for the loss of EP.
29 teams have the draft capitol and cap space to make this happen.

Wait until the end of the season.
WHY?
If he was going to sign any offer at all, which the Canucks would be stupid not sign anything pushed across the table it would have been done just to solve the angst of the market and concentrate on winning games only.
No signed until he see's where the team is going, AFTER all the other players are signed, to see what the team will look like and be in the middle of his contract.
Few teams can project the players under contract on the team over the next 3+ years but there are many that can too.

Dim Jim, I think here he gets a bit of a raw deal. Petey likely was pressuring to be traded even back then. Like most half intelligent fans could see the team had a very limited shelf life and little of a bright future. The OEL stuff is crap, a distraction. What did his contract have to do with TERM? The TERM part was all Pettersson to give the Canucks 3 years to straighten out the ship, they failed.

Just wait until the team is punted out of the playoffs for the real trade rumours to start pouring in.

The market and management will be set for an auction. AND it should be BEFORE July 1 when Petey gets permission to pick and choose.

Rutherford/Allvin know this, there would have to be "what if" conversations going on. With the threat of "loose lips sink trades".
But some of the smoke is getting out there now as the TDL approaches. Not that I think there is anyway EP is traded then.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It's been clear since before the season started that EP wants out. Canucks ownership and management has been a complete joke for his entire career so it's not exactly shocking. Wouldn't be surprised if them choosing Miller, who EP reportedly doesn't get along with, over Horvat was the last straw for him.
I could never quite put my finger on it, but I always got loser vibes from EP all the way back to his rookie year. If him not liking Miller is the reason why he wants out, I'd say good bye and good riddance if I'm Vancouver. Not to say Miller is the better player, but he plays winning hockey. EP can too... when he feels like it

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

That 5 million dollar cap increase next year helps
Well of course any team could add another 10-12 million/year forward. For example, even the most cap strapped team could just start throwing away firsts or trading good contracts to make room. The question is always whether it makes sense or not.
There are teams with the cap space, the youth, depth and a future with contracted players there already.

Pettersson on any team would make sense. But for EP a young team in the east where teams are aging out so making the playoffs and deeper into the show is easier.

I could never quite put my finger on it, but I always got loser vibes from EP all the way back to his rookie year. If him not liking Miller is the reason why he wants out, I'd say good bye and good riddance if I'm Vancouver. Not to say Miller is the better player, but he plays winning hockey. EP can too... when he feels like it
SsHHHH! Nobody know what is said in the dressing room! Except the 30 to 45 people in the hall any evening after a game.
Or the few that are "servicing" the area. Towels etc.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Affordability for a 14 million dollar offer by other teams.
Easy.
Cap increases equaling 10 million over the next two years.
Canucks OEL buyout equals 7 million over the next two years so the team has 1/2 what other teams haven't even got yet.

Offer sheet leverage.
EP's agent can talk to ALL the NHL teams after July 1, he can pick and choose teams to look at. Since all will have an additional 5 mil in cap space and most will have the required 1rst round picks this makes it very dangerous for the Canucks to sit and wait too long. 4 picks, 28, 29, 30 & 27 do not make up for the loss of EP.
29 teams have the draft capitol and cap space to make this happen.

Wait until the end of the season.
WHY?
If he was going to sign any offer at all, which the Canucks would be stupid not sign anything pushed across the table it would have been done just to solve the angst of the market and concentrate on winning games only.
No signed until he see's where the team is going, AFTER all the other players are signed, to see what the team will look like and be in the middle of his contract.
Few teams can project the players under contract on the team over the next 3+ years but there are many that can too.

Dim Jim, I think here he gets a bit of a raw deal. Petey likely was pressuring to be traded even back then. Like most half intelligent fans could see the team had a very limited shelf life and little of a bright future. The OEL stuff is crap, a distraction. What did his contract have to do with TERM? The TERM part was all Pettersson to give the Canucks 3 years to straighten out the ship, they failed.

Just wait until the team is punted out of the playoffs for the real trade rumours to start pouring in.

The market and management will be set for an auction. AND it should be BEFORE July 1 when Petey gets permission to pick and choose.

Rutherford/Allvin know this, there would have to be "what if" conversations going on. With the threat of "loose lips sink trades".
But some of the smoke is getting out there now as the TDL approaches. Not that I think there is anyway EP is traded then.
It was reported at the time the Pettersson wanted a longer term and it was the Canucks that wanted the bridge.

Thought here: what if:

What if Pettersson doesn’t want to come out and say he doesn’t want to be a Canuck. Plenty of recent examples that I don’t need to reference with this group, including Lindholm who now players here. He says he wants to play for a winner, because he doesn’t think we will be one. Lots of experiance with losing and figured it was an easy thing to point to when he left. Now we are winning and the management team is competent and he has no response because he didn’t expect this (as almost none of us did). Now it’s blowing up and what’s next.

I agree with the vast majority they won’t trade him in season. But, if you think he is going to leave, you get significantly more now. If he forces your hand as an RFA and picks his team, and refuses a contract and pushed for a qualifying offer/arbitration this could turn ugly for the Canucks.

Not sure what the best course of action is, but if they trade him, you know it’s because they figured we are facked and they found a package that keeps the cup dream alive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad