Rumor: Fourth Period - EP 40 sitting on 12M offer since start of season

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
According to a well-placed source tied to the club, the Canucks tabled Pettersson a long-term deal, believed to be eight years, worth $12 million per season at the beginning of the 2023-24 campaign. That offer has not been rejected; it’s there for the taking. Pettersson simply wants to take his time, see how the season plays out and revisit his future in the summer.

This isn’t about money; Pettersson is focused on winning. That’s why he shut down talks last off-season – he wanted to fully prepare for this year and help the Canucks bring a championship to Vancouver. His patience, so far, is paying off.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
He can probably get a few hundred thousand more per year -- or, if he's willing to bet on himself, angle for a shorter term contract so that he can get another big pay day at 30/31. I'd be surprised if he can get a deal above 100 million over 8 years, but given his performance and the cap rising maybe he can get there.

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
He can probably get a few hundred thousand more per year -- or, if he's willing to bet on himself, angle for a shorter term contract so that he can get another big pay day at 30/31. I'd be surprised if he can get a deal above 100 million over 8 years, but given his performance and the cap rising maybe he can get there.
Granted you hear it a lot but he said it’s not about the money on the contract as much as he wants to win.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Maybe hes waiting to see if the Nucks can make the finals/make a deep playoff run. Which may inspire him to take a bit of a discount to either add reinforcements for a repeat cup if they win, make another finals run if they lose.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Maybe hes waiting to see if the Nucks can make the finals/make a deep playoff run. Which may inspire him to take a bit of a discount to either add reinforcements for a repeat cup if they win, make another finals run if they lose.
I don't get what else he wants to see. This is a dream season to show Petey they are trending well. It couldn't be going better if that was EPs main concern

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
At the beginning of the season I really wanted Petersson to spurn Vancouver but after seeing how well the front office has done going back to the Hronek trade, I think it'd be in his best interest to sign a short-term deal till at least the Hughes deal expire. Then cash in for 7 or 8 years when he is 28.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Break the bank EP, hold out until you get an offer that tops the league.
lol he's not even close to being in the same league as McDavid, Mackinnon, etc. He's a really frustrating player, actually, and goes through stretches where he looks like a 3rd liner at best. He's clearly a step below the 'top earners' and 12 mil is more than he deserves for his repeated bouts of underwhelming play. If we were getting permanent last season Pettersson I'd see it a lot differently.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Last time he signed a contract was right at the beginning of the season and he was awful. The guy clearly doesn't do well with distractions like this so it makes sense that he'd want to wait.

I think 12x8 is fair, but the idea of dealing him at the draft is really intriguing. I saw a Rantanen+Byram idea and I definitely like that, but could also see us trying to fill out the rest of the roster with high potential pieces like a bigger version of the Dubois deal

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
lol he's not even close to being in the same league as McDavid, Mackinnon, etc. He's a really frustrating player, actually, and goes through stretches where he looks like a 3rd liner at best. He's clearly a step below the 'top earners' and 12 mil is more than he deserves for his repeated bouts of underwhelming play. If we were getting permanent last season Pettersson I'd see it a lot differently.
12 is a bit rich but palatable, the bright side is if we get EP locked up at 12 long term our biggest divisional rival in Edmonton is going to be in hell trying to get Draisaitl and McDavid locked in at reasonable amounts

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I mean from last season up to now he is 7th in scoring during that span 1 point behind rantanan

I think he's been inconsistent
but scoring is scoring, no matter how you slice it

Rantanen and Marner can sign this summer, two other guys in that range of scoring

Vancouver doesnt want those comps in the market after seeing what Nylander got.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
12 is a bit rich but palatable, the bright side is if we get EP locked up at 12 long term our biggest divisional rival in Edmonton is going to be in hell trying to get Draisaitl and McDavid locked in at reasonable amounts
I don't like it, but Drai is already going to get a tad more than Matthews. That is a given (if he even stays). McDavid will be 14/15. They wouldn't even look at petey as a comp. He would be compared to the very top guys. I would prefer between 12-13, but I don't see it happening.

Always wonder what EDM could get dangling Drai (something on D and a forward).

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I don't like it, but Drai is already going to get a tad more than Matthews. That is a given (if he even stays). McDavid will be 14/15. They wouldn't even look at petey as a comp. He would be compared to the very top guys. I would prefer between 12-13, but I don't see it happening.

Always wonder what EDM could get dangling Drai (something on D and a forward).
McDavid will be minimum in the 14s, and they absolutely will be using Pettersson as a comparable for Draisaitl they are in the same tier

Reactions: theguardianII

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
McDavid will be minimum in the 14s, and they absolutely will be using Pettersson as a comparable for Draisaitl
Yeah if Petey takes 12sh or 12.5, I would say Drai would take 13.5 (which is overpay to me and he hasn't looked great this year). McDavid probably 15

Don't see how you win with that long term unless you keep magically finding guys on great contracts, etc. Can't fu* your cap up ala Campbell, Brown

Reactions: oceanchild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad