Rumor: Fourth Period - EP 40 sitting on 12M offer since start of season

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Simply not true, not at least for Vancouver and Toronto. Players love it out here, we have very nice weather and a beautiful city. In The Athletic's poll, Vancouver is a top-5 city in the league that players like to play in on the road, even throughout the time that we had the dumbest management in the league, players were always willing to extend here (And wanted to, like Tanev and Toffoli). You have players like Panarin (When he was a free agent) who weren't willing to sign with any Canadian teams with the 2 exceptions being Vancouver and Toronto according to Bob McKenzie, and was posting pictures of himself exploring the city when he visited Vancouver when he was on CBJ a few months before free agency.

Vancouver is typically a top destination for most players, they usually lose out to American markets due to taxes, etc.
Well I read on the Canucks board it’s suggested he doesn’t want to play in Canada which would certainly be consistent with many player’s NTC lists and general sentiments we’ve been coming across lately.

I don’t get enjoyment out of saying that but it objectively does seem like Canada is not most player’s first choice. I don’t think that’s healthy for the league and I wish it weren’t the case. However it is a reality the league is currently dealing with and most likely will have to make major concessions for in the future. We’ll see.

If he isn’t signing an 8 year, $12m deal while the Canucks are amongst the top 5 teams in the league…that means it’s not about money and it’s not about competitiveness. Which leaves a big, glaring, obvious “X” variable would t you say?

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Well I read on the Canucks board it’s suggested he doesn’t want to play in Canada which would certainly be consistent with many player’s NTC lists and general sentiments we’ve been coming across lately.

I don’t get enjoyment out of saying that but it objectively does seem like Canada is not most player’s first choice. I don’t think that’s healthy for the league and I wish it weren’t the case. However it is a reality the league is currently dealing with and most likely will have to make major concessions for in the future. We’ll see.

If he isn’t signing an 8 year, $12m deal while the Canucks are amongst the top 5 teams in the league…that means it’s not about money and it’s not about competitiveness. Which leaves a big, glaring, obvious “X” variable would t you say?
No, it really doesn’t

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
Rangers get Pettersson retained to 3,675,000

Canucks get Tkachuk and Schneider

Senators get two top prospects and two 1sts

Trade #1

Elias Pettersson @ 50%
Mark Friedman
For
Brennan Othmann
Gabe Perreault
Braden Schneider
NYR 2024 1st
NYR 2025 1st

Trade #2

Brady Tkachuk
Parker Kelly
For
Ilya Mikhayev
Brennan Othmann
Gabe Perreault
NYR 2024 1st
NYR 2025 1st

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Rangers get Pettersson retained to 3,675,000

Canucks get Tkachuk and Schneider

Senators get two top prospects and two 1sts

Trade #1

Elias Pettersson @ 50%
Mark Friedman
For
Brennan Othmann
Gabe Perreault
Braden Schneider
NYR 2024 1st
NYR 2025 1st

Trade #2

Brady Tkachuk
Parker Kelly
For
Ilya Mikhayev
Brennan Othmann
Gabe Perreault
NYR 2024 1st
NYR 2025 1st
Canucks do it if they also get Zac Jones

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
However, the game theorist in you might also recognize that, by playing his hand in this way, he may have generated incentive pressure for management to devote resources to building a contender over a shorter time horizon. If this is all correct, Petterson's tactics may have had some impact on the philosophy currently being undertaken by management, in which case I think he would deserve some credit. Because this team is now on schedule to contend for a few years. And don't forget that, if true, this was no doubt taken up the ladder to Aquilini, and could be used as leverage to increase short-term costs by management for the sake of retaining him.
This. He is a smart and cunning guy and he is borderline crazy about winning

lawrence

May 19, 2012
"According to a well-placed source tied to the club, "

for me its opinion
discarded already. right now, only the GMs, assistants, owners and the agent are aware of anything, and I don't think they will disclose this. Also 5 weeks ago, Pettersson openly said, he's not look at anything beyond what Nylander is making. so that's that.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Then we should trade him. He is I’m not replaceable by one player, but you can get a couple young high potentials and resign Lindholm. I think it’s hard to win with players making that much money. I would rather have 2 JT Millers at 16m then one Pettersson any 12.75m and whomever else at 3.25.

Previous success is usually the best indicator of future success.
Ya I’m sure the Canucks are going to trade their star player while being in 1st place and 2 months from the playoffs. Your team will pay him the big bucks or lose him for nothing.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Ya I’m sure the Canucks are going to trade their star player while being in 1st place and 2 months from the playoffs. Your team will pay him the big bucks or lose him for nothing.
Trading him now would be dense, I didn’t say that and you are projecting. I do think if we wants every penny you trade him at or before the draft. To note, Miller has been better this season IMO and Hughes is our star player.

Reactions: Blueston

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Trading him now would be dense, I didn’t say that and you are projecting. I do think if we wants every penny you trade him at or before the draft. To note, Miller has been better this season IMO and Hughes is our star player.

Got it. My bad I didn't realize he was an RFA.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
He wants to play for New York. He's a snobby New Yorker wanna be. He will request a trade to the big apple.

Might as well start the trade negs now

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
lol he's not even close to being in the same league as McDavid, Mackinnon, etc. He's a really frustrating player, actually, and goes through stretches where he looks like a 3rd liner at best. He's clearly a step below the 'top earners' and 12 mil is more than he deserves for his repeated bouts of underwhelming play. If we were getting permanent last season Pettersson I'd see it a lot differently.
All players go through stretches. Watch some Edm or Col games.

Im not even saying he's at the aforementioned players level. But he's closer than you are claiming. ("lol not even close har har"

But it's just strange how some ppl think top earners don't go through bouts of bad play

Reactions: Seanaconda

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Last time he signed a contract was right at the beginning of the season and he was awful. The guy clearly doesn't do well with distractions like this so it makes sense that he'd want to wait.

I think 12x8 is fair, but the idea of dealing him at the draft is really intriguing. I saw a Rantanen+Byram idea and I definitely like that, but could also see us trying to fill out the rest of the roster with high potential pieces like a bigger version of the Dubois deal

For me, it feels like having a contract decision hanging over you is way more of a distraction than actually having one signed and sealed. Might be different in reality, but it's an odd logic.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
The game theory to me says he has far more to lose than to gain.

You're not accounting for the mixed outcome potential

Outcome 1: they make playoffs, do well, he stays and gets more money

Outcome 2: they make playoffs, get swept, he says I want to be traded and gets the same money.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

It could be bad blood. A while ago, someone pointed out that he lost leverage and had to take a lesser salary because everyone else had their contracts done before him. This was during the time of when his current contract was done of course. Don’t remember if there were quotes expressing his displeasure or if it was just speculated.

It could be this, the reasons you mentioned, something else, or a combination. But there could be a little bit of a grudge in there even if it was the past GM. But maybe none of it is so bad and he ends up staying? 🤷‍♂️

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
You'd think Vancouver would be a desirable place.
Yes its Canada but it's up there on great cities.

I Do wonder If it is competitiveness and wants to see the playoffs. The team is near the top and he's a big part of it.
If a market like Vancouver can't keep stars much past RFA this will not go well for the league I fear.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad