Food Options for Hockey Fans visiting Buffalo, New York

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Wings in Buffalo are the best, but wings are everywhere now and they're mostly at least adequate in many places.

In contrast, when I am back visiting in Buffalo, I find myself getting my fill of other things that I can't get elsewhere. Specifically, Buffalo-style pizza (my go-to is Leonardi's on Millersport) and chicken finger subs (usually Jim's Steakout).

Sometimes I even have to make a stop at Ted's for some hotdogs.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Wow! Those pictures and story brought back so many memories. I had this vague mental picture of sea green or blue turquoise vinyl booth seating along with a lunch counter. And there they were in pictures! Even the menu looked familiar. The booths had those individual juke boxes that my brother and I would thumb through looking for modern tunes to play. Dad hated modern and pop music so we never in all those years ever got to listen to a record!

I assume Your Host was killed by the fast food craze. I remember the 1st time we tried fast food back in the mid 60's by going to "Henry's Hamburgers" which was on Sheridan near Niagara Falls Boulevard. 15 cent hamburgers! My dad was not impressed and he remained a Your Host customer until the early 70s when BurgerKing's Whopper won him over.....

Thank you for the memories..

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Wings in Buffalo are the best, but wings are everywhere now and they're mostly at least adequate in many places.
I've yet to have what I would consider to be truly spectacular wings in Buffalo. Been to Anchor, been to multiple Duff's locations, been to Pearl St, been to Gabriel's Gates...just haven't been that impressed with any of them and I was very disappointed by Duff's at both places.

Best wings I've ever had in my life came from a place called Sammy's on the US side of Niagara Falls, back in the late 90's. My brother had hockey tournaments there and we would always go there for the wings...I remember very clearly the first time we had them...6 people polished off 50 wings very quickly and we ordered another 50 because they were so incredible. I've been back recently as an adult and they're not quite the same, but still very good.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I've yet to have what I would consider to be truly spectacular wings in Buffalo. Been to Anchor, been to multiple Duff's locations, been to Pearl St, been to Gabriel's Gates...just haven't been that impressed with any of them and I was very disappointed by Duff's at both places.
You might be the only person

Might be time to consider that you are broken and don’t like actually spectacular wings.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Best wings I've ever had in my life came from a place called Sammy's on the US side of Niagara Falls, back in the late 90's. My brother had hockey tournaments there and we would always go there for the wings...I remember very clearly the first time we had them...6 people polished off 50 wings very quickly and we ordered another 50 because they were so incredible. I've been back recently as an adult and they're not quite the same, but still very good.

Heck, living where I do, I'm happy to just find some that are...let's call it formulaic. (I.e.; follow the basic recipe and prepare and cook them properly.)

Best wings in Denver area.... West Hill Grill. Why? Because the the owner and his wife are cooks who grew up in WNY in the restaurant business. Deep fried. Sauce is correct consistency ...melted margarine using Franks La. hot sauce cut with a tiny bit of vinegar. Their "Crack" sauce is even better. People devour them here.

Owner Tony was the cook at Schunks West Hill Grill in East Eden years ago.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
One thing I have never found anywhere but Buffalo is a Royal Sub. Italian sausage patties, Capicolla and provolone cheese. Yum! Mackey's in West Seneca had a good one but they closed.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
My family visited Your Host regularly. In fact my mom waitressed there for a bit.

I remember going there (on Main Street near the old Donut place) on Christmas Eve. Or was it the one on Genesee near the Wonder Bread bakery/factory?

My mom worked at Your Host as well.

We always liked Ilio DiPalo's.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
One thing I have never found anywhere but Buffalo is a Royal Sub. Italian sausage patties, Capicolla and provolone cheese. Yum! Mackey's in West Seneca had a good one but they closed.

Ditto for the Stinger Sub... Chicken fingers, Steak, Bleu Cheese. Pretty much any pizza establishment would carry it, Picasso's if you're a rich Amherst dilettante. Macy's on Genesee, for a more modestly priced receptacle, or Pizza Heist for blue-collar sub.

subs_stinger-620x400.jpg

Also the Buffalo Chicken Pizza at Master Pizza, Harlem & William, is an easy way to gain 12 pounds.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Speaking of Stinger... that reminds me: Mooney's. Apart from the best value stinger you can take your pick:

1) Lobster Mac & Cheese, perfect balance of patrician and plebe.

2) PBJ Burger, sounds so wrong, tastes so right.

Now back to the Mighty vs Ziggy wars.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Ditto for the Stinger Sub... Chicken fingers, Steak, Bleu Cheese. Pretty much any pizza establishment would carry it, Picasso's if you're a rich Amherst dilettante. Macy's on Genesee, for a more modestly priced receptacle, or Pizza Heist for blue-collar sub.

subs_stinger-620x400.jpg

Also the Buffalo Chicken Pizza at Master Pizza, Harlem & William, is an easy way to gain 12 pounds.

The stinger sub must be a recent innovation, no?

IIRC, it didn't exist when I moved away from WNY (in 1999).

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I knew people that worked in the kitchen. Will never eat at ilio’s

Understand.... there are always stories and likely, actuals that will make people avoid a place.

Ilio was a very gregarious person to people in general. All I can say is my dad knew Ilio personally. Paisan's you know? He met Ilio when he was wrestling and dad used to take me to his matches. (I was 5 or younger.)

So we always got the best treatment when we went there. I never had any complaints about the food but ya know, it's italian.... Drop a meatball on the floor and ya just put it back in the sauce and cook it some more..... :D

Health codes? We didn't have any health codes in the old country!!:laugh:

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
For anyone looking for just a normal, ubiquitous bar experience in the city proper (excluding south buffalo, there are loads there) you can go to McGarret's or the Essex St Pub. In my humble opinion downtown is overrun with clubs that couldn't book a good DJ if their life depended on it. Milkie's is also another kind of normal type bar.

If you're just trying to drink, stay up late, and end up in a dive surrounded by drunk and perhaps sketchy people, go to the Pink on Allen. I think it's official name is the Allen St. Bar and Grill (lol).

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Understand.... there are always stories and likely, actuals that will make people avoid a place.

Ilio was a very gregarious person to people in general. All I can say is my dad knew Ilio personally. Paisan's you know? He met Ilio when he was wrestling and dad used to take me to his matches. (I was 5 or younger.)

So we always got the best treatment when we went there. I never had any complaints about the food but ya know, it's italian.... Drop a meatball on the floor and ya just put it back in the sauce and cook it some more..... :D

Health codes? We didn't have any health codes in the old country!!:laugh:

I met Ilio a bunch when I was younger. My dad and his son Dennis were childhood friends, so we had a similar experience.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I met Ilio a bunch when I was younger. My dad and his son Dennis were childhood friends, so we had a similar experience.

Wow.. That's really cool. My dad lived to cook being italian and all that. So he and Ilio were always sharing recipes and stuff. Pretty sure he met all of Ilio's sons....(recall he had a couple, maybe three?). Dad passed away way back in 1983 (fairly young for his age) but my mom and brother continued to visit and I recall her mentioning Dennis always welcoming them.

Anyways, the nice thing about the Buffalo area is that even though it's a medium size city, so many different people's paths cross. Both of our experiences are a great example of that.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

In contrast, when I am back visiting in Buffalo, I find myself getting my fill of other things that I can't get elsewhere. Specifically, Buffalo-style pizza (my go-to is Leonardi's on Millersport) and chicken finger subs (usually Jim's Steakout).

Sometimes I even have to make a stop at Ted's for some hotdogs.

I have a hard time finding good wings. Can't find any in Honolulu... I had wings at a place in Waikiki and they cost $16 for 5 wings...plus everywhere around here they serve the wings with Ranch instead of Blue Cheese

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I have a hard time finding good wings. Can't find any in Honolulu... I had wings at a place in Waikiki and they cost $16 for 5 wings...plus everywhere around here they serve the wings with Ranch instead of Blue Cheese

Beerz... can't help you with wings in hawaii but I have found pretty good pizza in 2 locations out there (we have a timeshare on Oahu and Kauai). Out west in Ko Olina there's a NY pizza joint in the shopping center that's across from the Alani resort. We always go there multiple times when we vacation and remark that we have to travel from Denver all the way to Oahu to find a decent pizza that reminds us of Buffalo. Hawaii prices of course.

On Kauai (because I know that folks out there island hop a lot), there's an italian place - Pizzetta - hole in the wall - in Old Koloa town - (on the way to Poipu) that serves pretty good italian food including their pizza. Friends of mine have eaten there independently of any knowledge and come back telling us that it has the best italian they've tasted on the islands. LHC

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Beerz... can't help you with wings in hawaii but I have found pretty good pizza in 2 locations out there (we have a timeshare on Oahu and Kauai). Out west in Ko Olina there's a NY pizza joint in the shopping center that's across from the Alani resort. We always go there multiple times when we vacation and remark that we have to travel from Denver all the way to Oahu to find a decent pizza that reminds us of Buffalo. Hawaii prices of course.

On Kauai (because I know that folks out there island hop a lot), there's an italian place - Pizzetta - hole in the wall - in Old Koloa town - (on the way to Poipu) that serves pretty good italian food including their pizza. Friends of mine have eaten there independently of any knowledge and come back telling us that it has the best italian they've tasted on the islands. LHC

Is the one on Oahu called Pizza Corner?

Thanks for suggestions

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I was in buffalo on business a few years back and my colleague didn't want to eat anything buy wings. Duffs was right down the street - went there twice. I took him to Anchor bar (I made him get the wing/weck combo, and had him wash it down with a Genny Cream ale), and he even had wings for lunch from Achor bar at the airport.

But there are local eateries that you cant find in any part of the country, or where this food is hard to get. Yeah, buffalo is doing what everyone else is doing in fine dining and have novelty BBQ and Poutine now. You can get that anywhere, to be honest. I'm sure bflo is doing it well, but...

Food I would recommend:

* Kostas, The Town or Panos - greek food 24 hours a day. You can't find this stuff anywhere else.
* Polish Villa - fresh kilbasa, perogi, golumpki, fried balogny sandwich. Under-rated comfort food.
* Try the pizza - not for everyone, but natives think it's the best in the country.Pepperoni comes standard. A quick take-out from LaNova or Bocce is usually the way I go when getting in late from the airport or a long drive.
* Sharf's - authentic schnitzel, german potato salad, bratwurst.
* Andersons - Always got to hit this place when I'm in town for lunch. Beef on weck WITH horsehradish.
* Louie's or Teds hot dogs - Ted's if you want a charred foot-long, Louis if you want a texas hot, and curley q's with SPRAY ON MALT VINAGAR!!!

I'm sure I'm missing a few standards.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It kind of goes without saying, but if you are from out of town, you should get Mighty Taco. Locals might hate me for saying it, but as someone who left Buffalo 10 years ago, it's a Buffalo's best guilty pleasure that you can't get elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad