Food Options for Hockey Fans visiting Buffalo, New York

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This will be the first column of dining options around the NHL world. When I am on the road I try to eat where the locals do and avoid chains.

Western New York has always been known for casual dining and comfort food. The city is best known for 'Buffalo Wings'. Legend has it that they were invented in 1964 almost by accident at the Anchor Bar located at 1047 Main St (METRO - Summer-Best Station)

TZ9EzlA.png

VDgeqqr.png

There are also several suburban locations but I would stick with the mothership. The location at the Buffalo-Niagara Airport is run like a Delaware North (Jeremy Jacobs) concession stand because that is what it is.

Many locals claim that Duff's, located at 3651 Sheridan Drive in Amherst, (METRO - University Station - then either bus or Uber/Lyft for 2.3 miles) is the better option.

View attachment 88671

One can not overlook the Nine-Eleven Tavern located at 9-11 Bloomfield Street in South Buffalo which is 4 miles from Key Bank Center. (METRO 16 South Park bus - or Cab, Uber or Lyft ) This is as local in Buffalo as one can get. It is closed on Monday's and is CASH ONLY
427094_390474440982081_2000341837_n.jpg

SdjoDZt.png

Buffalo is also known for a local delicacy known by the locals as 'Beef on Weck' Locals fiercely debate where to find the best sandwich. I have several favorites but be advised you really need a car to get to them.

First up is Bar Bill located at 185 Main Street in East Aurora, NY. (CASH ONLY) It is roughly 20 minutes from downtown so a car is the only realistic option. I could have easily included this place just for chicken wings but their Beef on Weck is wonderful. This is a place where you can find yourself sitting next to a billionaire as Jeremy Jacobs is said to drop by often as he lives in the town.

NGLMNLQ.png

Ru1CGFc.png

Also in the burbs but closer to downtown is Schwabl's located at 789 Center Rd, West Seneca, NY.

LEBeNVE.png

View attachment 88673

One can not overlook Charlie The Butcher, main location 1065 Wehrle Drive, Williamsville, NY which is near the airport and they also have a downtown express location only open weekdays from 11-4 PM.

9UKfEsm.png

One would not think Buffalo would be known for poutine but in the city's trendy Allentown neighborhood you will find a place that even Montrealers would like. The Allen Street Poutine Company located at 242 Allen St, Buffalo (METRO Allen-Medical Campus Station ) is worth the trip.

g0CxvA5.png

MjSwphd.png

Before and after a game at KeyBank Center be sure to visit the adjoining (716) Food and Sport

o.jpg

These recommendations are from my own personal experience. Buffalo is a fun place to visit for a game and you will find the locals to be very friendly. 4

Enjoy your visit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 93LEAFS and Ralonzo

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Back there this past August. Schwabl's is way over priced. Quality is pretty good because your roast beef is hand carved in front of you. But very pricy. They are living off their reputation as a traditional Buffalo ethnic tavern/bar with a strong German/european influence. (Most of those eateries are long gone..... Sepp's on Genesee, Traudels on Olympic near Delevan an Bailey. Foits on Lakeshore (Route 5)).

Must cost a lot to advertise in the hard cover food mags that are part of the dining info resources in the hotel rooms. Not a lot of value at Schwabl's as far as I am concerned.

Charlie the Butcher is very good for Beef on Weck. Also, Steve's Pig and Ox Roast on Ridge Road across from OLV Cemetery.

Wings..... I avoid the Anchor Bar. So many better (and less expensive) places for wings back there. Duffs is good a good choice. So I agree there.

If you are wanting a general restaurant with a menu choice at decent prices, try Altons at Walden and Union or Clinton and Transit. Or JP Fitzgeralds (with an irish twist) in Hamburg. German potato salad made the correct manner as my mom would inform me.... And send me all the way over there for a fish fry on Friday nights. Personally, I happen to like Hoaks on Lakeshore out near Camp Road in Hamburg (past the Ford Plant). But the newer generation, not so much. Yeah, it's a bit of a dive these days.

If you really want to get out of town aways travel south to East Eden (between Rt 75 and US 219) and drop in on Schunks West Hill Grill on Keller Road. Local favorite. Solid WNY oriented menu (fried bologna sandwiches!)

Want a great breakfast? Emily's Family Diner on Main Street in Clarence. No credit cards but food is cooked to order, super fresh and great portions.

Did anyone say Italian? The magazines in your hotel will point you to Salvatore's Italian Gardens (or his feuding kin's place farther up Transit Road). But I say go to Ilio DIPaolo's on South Park in Blasdell (or is it Lackawanna.....? not sure where the boundary is). One Italian kid to another..... Ilios is really, really good!

Tired of or want to avoid McDonalds and BurgerKing? Visit Teds or John and Mary's for dogs, burgers and fries. Both are local chains and have multiple locations in the Buffalo area.

I'm sure a post on pizza is coming (Picasso's in Lancaster for me but others really like Nova a lot). And I hope you do talk about fish fry because that's really a missed Buffalo food tradition and delicacy. I'd love to here what other locals favor in this food group.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
If you really want to get out of town aways travel south to East Eden (between Rt 75 and US 219) and drop in on Schunks West Hill Grill on Keller Road. Local favorite. Solid WNY oriented menu (fried bologna sandwiches!)

Also way south in Arcade is Krolick's BBQ on Route 16. Just a shack on the side of the road, but damn tasty.

Then turn around and go North of the city for dessert at Lake Effect Ice Cream in Lockport.

And I hope you do talk about fish fry because that's really a missed Buffalo food tradition and delicacy.

Wiechec's on Clinton near Bailey, breaded. THE best.

Paula's Donuts needs a mention here too, as does Bocce Club pizza.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Also way south in Arcade is Krolick's BBQ on Route 16. Just a shack on the side of the road, but damn tasty.

Then turn around and go North of the city for dessert at Lake Effect Ice Cream in Lockport.

Wiechec's on Clinton near Bailey, breaded. THE best.

Paula's Donuts needs a mention here too, as does Bocce Club pizza.

I definitely WILL try Wiechec's

I regularly did take out from Bocce Club back during my UB days. Good pizza.

Another dessert place is Antoinettes on Transit in Depew/Lancaster. Home made ice cream. Monster sundae's.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Back when the dinosaurs roamed - there was a local chain called 'Your Host' which did comfort food well.

Bar Bill was a place I was taken to by a friend from Hamburg and I was stunned to see Jeremy Jacobs there and he looked at me strangely because he knew my face from Bruins games. I actually saw a blue collar side of Jacobs never seen in Boston but there is no denying his love of WNY. He could have easily moved Delaware North to a more tax friendly place and he stuck with Buffalo when very few others did.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
1 nit pick I have. Buffalo pizza is excellent and there’s no mention here. Bocci’s, La Novas, Mr Pizza, and my personal favorite Imperial pizza. First stop when I come home is to pick up a pizza. Also echo the fish fry comments, many a rough night eased by with a good fish fry.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Some local gems downtown and off the beaten path a little bit. These are just my favorites, I like I will separate by area:

-Downtown- (closest to arena):
Toutant - Great food and a nice bar to have a specialty cocktail or two. Personal choice: Jambalaya
Welcome

Osteria 166 - Near the convention center, nice bar and dining area. Open for lunch and dinner. Personal choice: Filet and Stuffed pepper sandwich and Braised shortrib cannelloni
Dinner : Osteria 166

Bada Bing - On Chippewa strip, good sports bar to watch games, eat pizza, and have a few pops. Personal choice: The JC

Big Ditch Brewing - Not far from the arena on E Huron and Elicott, just a fun place to grab some local beers and apps.
Age Verification

Papaya - Asian style. My favorite restaurant in the entire world lol. It is never busy, they have sushi specials on Tuesday or Weds even tho I get the exact same thing every time. Anything + coconut rice

-Allentown- ($7 or less Uber from any of the previous downtown spots. North a little bit):

The Pink - This is more of a bar, but if you catch it during the day or before the late night they have the best steak sandwich in Buffalo. On Allen St.

Cafe 59 - I get lunch here once a week almost because they have the best chicken finger sub in the area. Hand cut breasts on a sesame roll. Down Allen St towards Main st.

Gabriel's Gate - The best wings in the Allentown area. Pretty much in the middle of Allen St. near Delaware.

TEMPO - This is a fancy sit down place, some of the best food in Buffalo. Have eaten here 5 times and never had a bad meal. Try anything.
Tempo Restaurant

Mothers - This is hidden a little bit behind the main roads on Virginia PL but worth it, but they server full menu until 2am. Great place to go for food late. Suggestion: Scallops and squid ink pasta
Mothers Restaurant

Betty's - The best brunch spot to fill up after a long night of hitting the brown bottle. On Virginia PL the other direction near Cottage St.

-Hertel- (Another $7 Uber from Allentown or about $12-15 from downtown) Buffalo has 3 bar districts for the most part. Hertel is a little more of a local area for those in the N. Buffalo area. I spend most of my time here drinking but there are a couple great spots for food and big beer selections:

Wellington Pub - Bar and Dining area. Casual place that serves great wings, cold beer, and has a very good menu. Never had a bad meal in the 50+ times I have eaten here. Kitchen closes at 11 I think bar open until 4 on the weekend and around 2 during the week.

Public House/Burning Buffalo - 2 Bars on each end of the street. Same owner. Huge beer selection and delicious Sriracha sesame chicken wings(Public House).

There are a few dive bars you can enjoy some sports at or just play darts/pool and relax. Not going to find chicks all dolled up here (but hey sometimes those ones are a little better anyway).
Del's stays open til 4 everyday, Geckos has cheap buckets of tall boys and a few TVs, Sidebar has shuffle board, and MT Pockets and Gabels has a ton of Italianos ripping shots. There is also the worst strip club in Buffalo down the street and the worst bar across from there (Checkers)

All of these are locally owned and not a chain. Hope some of these suggestions help.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am in my late 60's now but still freelance for NBC, NESN and other networks. :wally:

I had my first 'legal' drink in a bar in Buffalo in 1968 :wally: in a neighborhood dive called Kerner's located at 1854 Hertel Ave at Parker. IT WAS A DUMP. Guess what - 50 years later - IT STILL EXISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometime in the 70's it became Checker's Tavern and the sign outside changed but that's it. Outside of the TV now being HD the place has not changed at all. That was a strange neighborhood for me being from Boston as down the street there was a neighborhood strip bar called the Colonie and that is still there. :biglaugh:

I love WNY and I met my wife there. I am thrilled to see the city bouncing back.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Some local gems downtown and off the beaten path a little bit. These are just my favorites, I like I will separate by area:

-Downtown- (closest to arena):
Toutant - Great food and a nice bar to have a specialty cocktail or two. Personal choice: Jambalaya
Welcome

I probably shouldn't go to Toutant anymore, think I burned my bridge well with the bar manager there.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Back when the dinosaurs roamed - there was a local chain called 'Your Host' which did comfort food well.

Bar Bill was a place I was taken to by a friend from Hamburg and I was stunned to see Jeremy Jacobs there and he looked at me strangely because he knew my face from Bruins games. I actually saw a blue collar side of Jacobs never seen in Boston but there is no denying his love of WNY. He could have easily moved Delaware North to a more tax friendly place and he stuck with Buffalo when very few others did.

My family visited Your Host regularly. In fact my mom waitressed there for a bit.

I remember going there (on Main Street near the old Donut place) on Christmas Eve. Or was it the one on Genesee near the Wonder Bread bakery/factory?

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I am in my late 60's now but still freelance for NBC, NESN and other networks. :wally:

I had my first 'legal' drink in a bar in Buffalo in 1968 :wally: in a neighborhood dive called Kerner's located at 1854 Hertel Ave at Parker. IT WAS A DUMP. Guess what - 50 years later - IT STILL EXISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometime in the 70's it became Checker's Tavern and the sign outside changed but that's it. Outside of the TV now being HD the place has not changed at all. That was a strange neighborhood for me being from Boston as down the street there was a neighborhood strip bar called the Colonie and that is still there. :biglaugh:

I love WNY and I met my wife there. I am thrilled to see the city bouncing back.

McVans at the foot of Amherst and Niagara....... Just before you crossed the bridge over and on to Squaw Island (I am deliberately being non PC!!) Good 'ol live rock n' roll. Kind of place Aerosmith would have interned at........... Always wanted to play there. Never was good enough.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Personal favorites:

-Thin Man Brewery
-189 Public House right near Bar Bill. I think they're owned by the same people actually.
-Local Kitchen and Beer Bar on West Chippewa
-For pizza: Bob and John's on Hertel is one of my go to spots. It's hard to find bad pizza around Buffalo, though.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Personal favorites:

-Thin Man Brewery
-189 Public House right near Bar Bill. I think they're owned by the same people actually.
-Local Kitchen and Beer Bar on West Chippewa
-For pizza: Bob and John's on Hertel is one of my go to spots. It's hard to find bad pizza around Buffalo, though.

I'm sure Buffalo has Pizza Hut, Domino's, Little Caesers, Papa Johns, locations.... (Makes me wonder who goes there and how they stay in business.)

These places represent the crap pizza I have to choose from out here in the Rocky Mountain West.....

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
The last time I was in a Pizza Hut was in the 90s and I had 1 of those free pizza coupons you got for reading a certain number of books every month. Didn’t see my first little chasers until I was almost 30 and living in Syracuse. Grew up on Pasquale’s in East Aurora, and Blasedell Pizza. We’d get La Novas at grandmas and I’d get yelled at for dipping my pizza in the blu cheese.

Brodano75

Расмус Дахлин
Apr 12, 2015
That 38ft screen at 716 is something else isnt it? You just dont see that sort of thing here in New Zealand.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
pearl street bar and brewery is my favourite, best wings i've ever had, and great beer selection

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->