Food Options for Hockey Fans visiting Buffalo, New York

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It kind of goes without saying, but if you are from out of town, you should get Mighty Taco. Locals might hate me for saying it, but as someone who left Buffalo 10 years ago, it's a Buffalo's best guilty pleasure that you can't get elsewhere.

I use to get the 6 pack of those beefy burritos... I didn't eat for 3 days after those outings

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Question about the poutine place. Is that picture representative of what they consider poutine? Or is that like a ranch nacho fries thing?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It kind of goes without saying, but if you are from out of town, you should get Mighty Taco. Locals might hate me for saying it, but as someone who left Buffalo 10 years ago, it's a Buffalo's best guilty pleasure that you can't get elsewhere.
I hit up Mighty Taco on many occasions after they built the first one in Rochester, it's about 2 miles from my house. Kind of got burned out on it eventually but they were my go-to for a couple years. Got burned out on Taco Bell as well...I have to go to Chipotle or Moes if I'm looking for quick Mexican. Qdoba is garbage, I got it once and it was terrible.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Is the one on Oahu called Pizza Corner?

Thanks for suggestions

Yeah. Pizza Corner. NY Style Pizza.... a little thinner crust in the center of the pie than Buffalo style but pretty close in taste. Sauce is a spicy/sweet puree versus tomato chunks and skins and the cheese was real mozzarella. Hope the place is still in business next fall when we return.....

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah. Pizza Corner. NY Style Pizza.... a little thinner crust in the center of the pie than Buffalo style but pretty close in taste. Sauce is a spicy/sweet puree versus tomato chunks and skins and the cheese was real mozzarella. Hope the place is still in business next fall when we return.....

Will have to check it out

ForsakenSabre

Save Us MIttelstadt
Jan 31, 2013
Buffalo
A little out of the way but if you want a good fish fry I highly recommend the Beach House on Grand Island. They serve them wed-friday

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
not sure if already mentioned & i've never been to buffalo before but on man vs food a place called haystack or maybe that was name of sandwich. the place was right on the river. looked great. found it THE SILO.

Last edited:

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Fenway- you may be my favorite poster on HF. Between all of your insight into the world of sports television and now all the food talk? The best!

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Amy's Place and Betty's are my usual stops for veg-friends but anyone have any other suggestions?

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
I've yet to have what I would consider to be truly spectacular wings in Buffalo. Been to Anchor, been to multiple Duff's locations, been to Pearl St, been to Gabriel's Gates...just haven't been that impressed with any of them and I was very disappointed by Duff's at both places.

Best wings I've ever had in my life came from a place called Sammy's on the US side of Niagara Falls, back in the late 90's. My brother had hockey tournaments there and we would always go there for the wings...I remember very clearly the first time we had them...6 people polished off 50 wings very quickly and we ordered another 50 because they were so incredible. I've been back recently as an adult and they're not quite the same, but still very good.

Then you need to try the wings at Bar Bill Tavern and Nine Eleven Tavern. I prefer Bar Bill's by just a bit, plus they have amazing Beef on Weck. Nine Eleven is the epitome of the term "Hole in the wall", but the wings are top notch.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Then you need to try the wings at Bar Bill Tavern and Nine Eleven Tavern. I prefer Bar Bill's by just a bit, plus they have amazing Beef on Weck. Nine Eleven is the epitome of the term "Hole in the wall", but the wings are top notch.
Thanks for the recommendation! Will definitely try them out sometime soon.

Reactions: Insomniac99

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Went to Bar-Bills after the game and there was some ridiculous wait. Ended up next door at 189, had a flight of scotch, awesome roast beef burger, roast beef egg rolls with horseradish dipping sauce, a basket of bacon, and an enormous tv with the Sabres game on above the stage. The beast comes from Bar-bills next door, not the same level of quality, definitely some reheating going on but the overall dishes were classy, affordable (beware some of the scotch prices), and pretty damn memorable. Its definitely not the East Aurora I grew up in. I'd say if you hit Bar Bill and the wait is crazy, heading next door isn't a mistake.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Went to Bar-Bills after the game and there was some ridiculous wait. Ended up next door at 189.

Been there. Done that. I can't count how many times I've refused to wait for a table at Bar-Bill and just went next door. Anytime anyone suggests heading to Bar-Bill, you might as well just prepare yourself for a pretty damn good option at the 189.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
I'm a fan of Dinosaur BBQ when I go to games. If your in the area for a while and are near Lockport - I'd try One-Eyed-Jacks (best chili in town) and/or NYBP (New York Beer Project)

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
I think I am finally over the "Nine Eleven Tavern" fad. Yeah, great wings but the wait time can be ridiculous and the bathroom is just insanely gross. I can't believe Mark won't spend a few dollars upgrading it.

If you are in South Buffalo I say skip Nine Eleven and head over to Doc Sullivan's which really looks nice after a recent ownership change.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Interesting. I plan on hitting Buffalo for a tailgate party/NFL game next season. Food is such an important aspect of visiting a city/town

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Went to Bar Bill this week the day after going to the Leafs game. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

And @Fenway I hope when you get the chance you pump out a couple more of these. Having been to all 3 cities you have done this for (Buffalo, Boston and Montreal), of the places I have been to that are on your list (Bar Bill, Schwartz's, Main, Dunn's, 716, Cheers Replica bar, I have enjoyed all 6, although I only drank at Cheers) I would recommend all of them.

For anyone going to a game and staying the night, I would recommend 716 as a good place to go post game. I had a great time there catching the Buffalo vs Arizona game, although, while happy for the Buffalo fans, it did suck watching my bracket get fried with a rowdy crowd celebrating. The Beef on Weck was good, although, it was my first time trying it, so I have no idea on how it compares to places recommended for it. The place reminded me of Real Sports.

Reactions: Fenway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->