Confirmed with Link: Foligno extension - 4 x $4m

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What skills do he have that only he brings, that no one else can do for lesser money? Don´t give me the ol´ "good lockerroom guy" crap again, what does that even mean? Some strategically placed slaps on teammates asses before hitting the ice? Extra good, inspiring speeches during intermission? Does he call you when you´re all sad and lonely?
For that money, he should be calling each and every one of us to cheer us up after this news.

I can't believe i have to watch five more years of this guy. He was awful last year during the season, and even worse during the playoffs, What in the world did he do to earn this contract, especially the term? He had injury problems last year, FFS!

Last edited:

P10p

May 15, 2012
Not too thrilled about it but I'll wait and see how this year plays out before I say I hate it. Was a real difference maker 2 years ago and dealt with a significant injury last year by the sounds of it. BG has the benefit of knowing all his medical details and seeing him every day in camp. Here's to hoping the old moose is back!

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I would like to see Guerin answer some non-softball questions about this signing.
he likes the leadership Marcus brings and there are things you guys (media, fans) don't see about what he brings to this hockey club, is the answer.

q: but don't you have pay guys for positive production and actual on-ice contributions?

a: we think that's what we're doing, and again, the intangibles are a big part of that

Ownership is not committed to winning the Cup in Minnesota, they're committed to the playoff-making model. I suppose most teams in the league could find room for Marcus Foligno at $4 million, but it's just obvious that signings like these do not push the river, so to speak.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Ok, after sleeping on it, I still don't like the deal and would have rather moved on from him.

However, I will consider it reasonably possible for him "earn" this contract if, moving forward, he can be a consistent 15+15 guy that plays (cleanly) physical, sticks up for teammates and knocks it off with the shit from the end of last season.

It should be a fairly low bar for him to hurdle, but we'll see.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Ok, after sleeping on it, I still don't like the deal and would have rather moved on from him.

However, I will consider it reasonably possible for him "earn" this contract if, moving forward, he can be a consistent 15+15 guy that plays (cleanly) physical, sticks up for teammates and knocks it off with the shit from the end of last season.

It should be a fairly low bar for him to hurdle, but we'll see.
If he can play a clean physical game and get somewhat close to his season 2 years ago its not as bad but im still not a fan of it.

All his penalties he got from being physical rubbed me the wrong way last year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
he likes the leadership Marcus brings and there are things you guys (media, fans) don't see about what he brings to this hockey club, is the answer.

q: but don't you have pay guys for positive production and actual on-ice contributions?

a: we think that's what we're doing, and again, the intangibles are a big part of that

Ownership is not committed to winning the Cup in Minnesota, they're committed to the playoff-making model. I suppose most teams in the league could find room for Marcus Foligno at $4 million, but it's just obvious that signings like these do not push the river, so to speak.
Yup, that leadership really helped as he was getting himself tossed in the box and out of games as the refs had a vendetta against him and his antics.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
I'm not even sure if this contract is defensible if it's signed at the end of the season after he has a really good year.
AVV of 4 mil is defensible in that context for a 20-20 G-A season but with the added term of four years you can't defend it. For two years yeah its mostly fine, three is pretty much a no since he will be 33 at the start of the contract but four is just terrible absolutely idiotic.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
AVV of 4 mil is defensible in that context for a 20-20 G-A season but with the added term of four years you can't defend it. For two years yeah its mostly fine, three is pretty much a no since he will be 33 at the start of the contract but four is just terrible absolutely idiotic.
He’s had a single 20 goal season in his career (shooting 24%) and has never come close. Now he’s aging out, was not a good defender last year and I don’t see that getting better. I understand the hypothetical, but even so, if he by some miracle goes 20/20 (never done before in his career) it still wouldn’t warrant this monstrosity.

$4M over 4 is beyond indefensible. This is heinous. We’re spending 2-2.5x more than real contenders do on theIt 4th line players

Last edited:
Reactions: AKL

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He’s had a single 20 goal season in his career (shooting 24%) and has never come close. Now he’s aging out, was not a good defender last year and I don’t see that getting better.

$4M over 4 is beyond indefensible. This is heinous. We’re spending 2-2.5x more than real contenders do on theIt 4th line players

Even if he "rebounds" from last year, we're looking at about a 10ish goal 25ish point forward from ages 33-37, and the idea that the injury last year is a one off is laughable. It's not going to get any better.

Even hoping for 15-15 out of him is optimistic and that's the bare minimum for this deal to be worth it.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
He’s had a single 20 goal season in his career (shooting 24%) and has never come close. Now he’s aging out, was not a good defender last year and I don’t see that getting better.

Yes and my post is imagining a hypothetical scenario where he will play well in this season scoring 20-20 and thus earning a 4 mil AVV 2 year deal. Even in that scenario giving him three years is questionable, four is terrible. Him getting this contract now with 0 games played this year is moronic.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Even if he "rebounds" from last year, we're looking at about a 10ish goal 25ish point forward from ages 33-37, and the idea that the injury last year is a one off is laughable. It's not going to get any better.
The more I dig into this, the more just outrageous it is. The data is not kind, the value worse. This is one of the worst contracts in the league come 2 years.

Yes and my post is imagining a hypothetical scenario where he will play well in this season scoring 20-20 and thus earning a 4 mil AVV 2 year deal. Even in that scenario giving him three years is questionable, four is terrible. Him getting this contract now with 0 games played this year is moronic.
We’re on the same page. I just don’t love hypotheticals that are based on a guy doing something he has never done in his career.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The more I dig into this, the more just outrageous it is. The data is not kind, the value worse. This is one of the worst contracts in the league come 2 years.

We’re on the same page. I just don’t love hypotheticals that are based on a guy doing something he has never done in his career.

Yeah, and I'm not even sure you can say this is a "lifetime achievement" contract for what he's done the past few years because he wasn't even underpaid on his last contract. This is just piss poor value from a GM who likes a player too much and has his head too far up his own ass.

Reactions: Sweetnut and TaLoN

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
To me this signifies one of two things

1) Guerin has no intentions of building a Cup contender in the next four seasons
2) Guerin has no clue how to build a Cup contender

We assume it's not #1, so...

Reactions: Sweetnut and TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yet, we couldn't afford Fiala... so we're told.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
To me this signifies one of two things

1) Guerin has no intentions of building a Cup contender in the next four seasons
2) Guerin has no clue how to build a Cup contender

We assume it's not #1, so...

I'm going with he's just doing what he learned in PIT. They didn't need to sign the high end talent and needed to focus on the depth players.

Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and MAF could carry the team though the regular season with relative ease every season.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm going with he's just doing what he learned in PIT. They didn't need to sign the high end talent and needed to focus on the depth players.

Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and MAF could carry the team though the regular season with relative ease every season.

So this is still #2. If he's not smart enough to recognize that we don't have the core they had, he's not smart enough to be managing any team. If he thinks we are capable of having the core they had, he's not smart enough to be managing any team.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
My biggest issue is that this signals that Guerin doesn't seem like there is anything majorly wrong with the team and the status quo is okay. That the first round exits aren't because the team isn't talented enough or other issues, it's just some tinkering. Window dressings instead of replacing the foundation.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Yes yes yes yes and yes to all of the above. Why are we cursed with this idiocy in this state? I’ll tell you why……go read 500 comments in the wilds Facebook fanpage after these signings. Minnesotan sports fans are morons who hold no one to account with their wallets. Look what Blackhawks fans do when their team sucks…..the place is ducking empty and people get fired into the sun. Not in Minnesota

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yes yes yes yes and yes to all of the above. Why are we cursed with this idiocy in this state? I’ll tell you why……go read 500 comments in the wilds Facebook fanpage after these signings. Minnesotan sports fans are morons who hold no one to account with their wallets. Look what Blackhawks fans do when their team sucks…..the place is ducking empty and people get fired into the sun. Not in Minnesota
We technically haven't "sucked" in a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad